Wireless Tether and the Thunderbolt

BostonDan

Reaction score
So I have been using Wireless Tether on my OG Droid, and upgraded to the Thunderbolt. I know there is a "Mobile HotSpot" application on the thunderbolt, but since big Red will be charging for Wifi Tethering in the near future, I wanted to try the Wireless Tether so I started the version of Wireless Tether that I had, and it connected to my computer, but my computer was informing me "Cannot connect to the Internet". I upgraded my Wireless Tether to version 2.0.8-pre-1 Experimental release and was able to get wireless tethering working.

I was wondering if anybody else had a problem with the wireless tethering program, and if so, which version of wireless tethering/OS were you using?

I am on a windows 7 64-bit platform currently.

I also have a problem with wired tethering where it also displays "cannot connect to the internet" when connected...

Cheers,
B.D.

cnmsales

Reaction score
What kind of ip address is your pc getting when it is connected?

techguru

Reaction score
So I have been using Wireless Tether on my OG Droid, and upgraded to the Thunderbolt. I know there is a "Mobile HotSpot" application on the thunderbolt, but since big Red will be charging for Wifi Tethering in the near future, I wanted to try the Wireless Tether so I started the version of Wireless Tether that I had, and it connected to my computer, but my computer was informing me "Cannot connect to the Internet". I upgraded my Wireless Tether to version 2.0.8-pre-1 Experimental release and was able to get wireless tethering working.

I was wondering if anybody else had a problem with the wireless tethering program, and if so, which version of wireless tethering/OS were you using?

I am on a windows 7 64-bit platform currently.

I also have a problem with wired tethering where it also displays "cannot connect to the internet" when connected...

Cheers,
B.D.

Have you rooted your Thunderbolt? The Wireless Tether app requires root.

Alan

OP
BostonDan

BostonDan

Reaction score
Have you rooted your Thunderbolt? The Wireless Tether app requires root.

Alan

Yes, my TB is rooted (as I stated in my OP, I had wireless tether on my OG Droid, so I know that the phone has to be rooted).

As for IP, it is coming up with the correct IP address, BUT, the connection-specific DNS address is coming up blank, and therefore could not use the internet. As I stated, I got the wireless tether working with version 2.0.8-pre1, and can get onto the internet, but the wired tether (version 1.4) or previous versions of the wireless tether (2.0.7, etc.) do not connect properly and do not have a connection-specific DNS address....

I'm stumped.

Cheers,
B.D.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Not sure man. I just fired mine up and its working fine.

newtsevo

Reaction score
The mobile hotspot is free till May 15 th I was told so you can use that until you find something that works

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

DroidStang

Reaction score
Hello everyone...New to this Forum, but not new to tethering and handhelds, Asst. BES Admin at my job...I have worked with the tether of our Blackberries, I just went to a Smartphone for first time, this is my first Android, Thunderbolt, I have to say I love it. I was told get Easy Tether, $9.99 then no fee after that...that worked but would not allow VPN access to my companies network or some secure sites, so I downloaded the Free PDAnet and that works great, now maybe cause TB is 4 G capable But I am on 3 G now and I can tether, make and take calls, do anything on the TB I can do untethered I can do tethered, I love this TB. Also the nice thing the WiFi Hotspot is free until 15 May and when they go to 4G I will not have to pay for a 4G plan since I grabbed this thing right off the truck when came in the door at the store. Hope to learn a lot here. Oh yes this is via USB cable too, I did try the WiFi to my home router, worked great, but really happy I can be online and take and make calls, only one Blackberry can do that, AT&T, most likely cause their network, none of the Verizon or Sprint BB's can do calls.

Dan like your avatar...that was made by that kid here in our town, he did good job, he didn't get too much trouble.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Hello everyone...New to this Forum, but not new to tethering and handhelds, Asst. BES Admin at my job...I have worked with the tether of our Blackberries, I just went to a Smartphone for first time, this is my first Android, Thunderbolt, I have to say I love it. I was told get Easy Tether, $9.99 then no fee after that...that worked but would not allow VPN access to my companies network or some secure sites, so I downloaded the Free PDAnet and that works great, now maybe cause TB is 4 G capable But I am on 3 G now and I can tether, make and take calls, do anything on the TB I can do untethered I can do tethered, I love this TB. Also the nice thing the WiFi Hotspot is free until 15 May and when they go to 4G I will not have to pay for a 4G plan since I grabbed this thing right off the truck when came in the door at the store. Hope to learn a lot here. Oh yes this is via USB cable too, I did try the WiFi to my home router, worked great, but really happy I can be online and take and make calls, only one Blackberry can do that, AT&T, most likely cause their network, none of the Verizon or Sprint BB's can do calls.

Dan like your avatar...that was made by that kid here in our town, he did good job, he didn't get too much trouble.
PDANet won't let you connect to secured sites after the trial is up.

Wireless tether used to work on everything and it was free. I think the devs need to check out the TB and find out why it doesn't work that well.

Barnacle doesn't work for me. I can't get my laptop to find my phone. Clicking Associate doesn't do anything.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My thing is though if I do need to pay for pdanet and keeps me. Online will pay a one time fee
Why pay when you can get it for free? Wireless tether worked great on my DX, just need to wait for the developer to fix the TB bugs.

DroidStang

Reaction score
Depends on the cost, now if they hit you up for a one time fee that is not crazy it can be worth the small fee, but if there is a free app now I'll load..but In also was sold the TB promised sykpe mobile worked as soon as I activated LOL..my butt I said..only reason not taking TB back is I love it...but to pay per month for verizon, and cannot talk and tether using desktop manager or vzaccess, then be able to get on free for now, and if does charge a one fee would not be too terrible, but until the trial ends I'll use, but there is a guy at work who told me about pdanet, has used for months, never prompted to buy, when does trial end...I loaded under impression was full version, especially it prompted me to update today?

Last edited:

imadejoolaff

Reaction score
told me about pdanet, has used for months, never prompted to buy, when does trial end...I loaded under impression was full version, especially it prompted me to update today?

It won't stop connecting completely after one month, it just doesn't allow you to connect to httpS sites. I was still able to get windowsUpdates, play Starcraft2 and surf normal web but the first time I couldn't buy something I bought it. The app is worth it, imo. I work with a lot laptops that have the WiFi installed if not physically mangled due to the one bad apple rule.

DroidStang

Reaction score
oh ok thanks...well theesay tether I did buy does not allow https either, or at least won't allow vpn to any other network. why I like pdanet.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
oh ok thanks...well theesay tether I did buy does not allow https either, or at least won't allow vpn to any other network. why I like pdanet.

Again, you don't need to buy anything. You do however need to root your phone in order to use wireless tether for free. Pdanet is an ok solution but it is wired and as other folks have said, requires the premium version to be used after the trial is up with no restrictions.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App