Wireless Tether and the Thunderbolt

cloudman7

Reaction score
Yeah I just got wife xoom just for that video chat it works awesome the bionic the only thing is the battery that kind of sucks I played with it for awhile seemed pretty awesome and fast.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

naknak95

Reaction score
Has anyone found or made a easy rooting method for rooting the Thunderbolt? I really want to root mine and get the Wireless Tether back, but I don't want to brick my phone or screw anything up. I used Super OneClick for my old Motorola Droid 1 and Droid X and I'm looking for something like that.

cdhendy

Reaction score
Was concerned when i started reading the beginning of this post, however quickly realized the wireless tether for root users, although taken off the market, works for my TB, just go to the website and download it, super easy.

Overall it seems like the TB is gonna be a pretty kickass phone as soon as developers really start to tinker with it.

KennyBerndt

Reaction score
Edit. I talked to two different VZW reps and got two different answers about mobile hot spot. One said if you already have unlimited data you are fine, the other said $20 for 2gig, then x amount for each additional. Any body know the real deal?

Last edited:

naknak95

Reaction score
hmmm, i must have got lucky. Got my TB from FedEx this morning. Rooted using this as a guide
[Procedure] How to Root the Thunderbolt with ADB (Windows) - Android Forums
I'm still on the stock ROM, and I just googled the wireless tether apk, 2.0.7, downloaded directly to my TB, installed, allowed SU permissions, allowed unknown sources under applications, and BLAM-O! Wireless tether working like a champ!!! I only have one bar of 4g and my laptop is browsing this forum just as fast as my home internet connection was! I'm pretty stoked! Considering getting a repeater to increase my reception.

Thanks for the post. I'll have to try it tomorrow and report back with feedback.

dhacker29

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
th3oryrom.com
So does the wireless tether apk bypass the mobile hotspot feature so you don't have to pay extra?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

DaWolf85

Reaction score
So does the wireless tether apk bypass the mobile hotspot feature so you don't have to pay extra?

It does the same thing as the mobile hotspot feature, and you do not have to pay for it.
I'm fairly certain it is also against your contract though, and therefore illegal.

imadejoolaff

Reaction score

Rather than add more hatemongering towards tethering, think of your cell as a car. Verizon sets your speed limit. Can you go beyond the limit? Damn straight, because your car can do 88 and travel through time firing laser beam gatling guns the entire way.

Sure, gatling guns, lasers, and flux capacitors are illegal, but if you have the capability, why not? As far as being caught... I'm pretty certain you're safe unless you rat on yourself.

Sent from my DasBAMF'ed HTC Thunderbolt running GB.2.0 (not bricked)

wooddale

Reaction score

Rather than add more hatemongering towards tethering, think of your cell as a car. Verizon sets your speed limit. Can you go beyond the limit? Damn straight, because your car can do 88 and travel through time firing laser beam gatling guns the entire way.

Sure, gatling guns, lasers, and flux capacitors are illegal, but if you have the capability, why not? As far as being caught... I'm pretty certain you're safe unless you rat on yourself.

Sent from my DasBAMF'ed HTC Thunderbolt running GB.2.0 (not bricked)

Im tethering as we speak dont do it often but Im away from home no choise. I dont think it is illegal either the FCC came down with that new rulling if its in the air and you can get it its yours kinda like nobody owns the Ocean. Im sure verizon doesnt like it and will do anything to stop it. I dont think they can.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Im tethering as we speak dont do it often but Im away from home no choise. I dont think it is illegal either the FCC came down with that new rulling if its in the air and you can get it its yours kinda like nobody owns the Ocean. Im sure verizon doesnt like it and will do anything to stop it. I dont think they can.

Agreed. I don't think they can stop it. But they can charge you $20 for tethering when they see you tethering without a tethering plan. I'd say at least count on that. :)

Btw. I have a backed up copy of Wireless Tether for Root but it Force Closes every time I try to use it.

wooddale

Reaction score

Agreed. I don't think they can stop it. But they can charge you $20 for tethering when they see you tethering without a tethering plan. I'd say at least count on that. :)

Btw. I have a backed up copy of Wireless Tether for Root but it Force Closes every time I try to use it.

You can still get it just google. I still dont Verizon can do anything to you unless you tell them then they will charge you. Data is data and we have unlimited. They only they can control it is to make it there app. Just my 2 cents

mj23

Reaction score
sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but googling led me here without an answer!

i'm using 2.0.7 wireless tether on my new TB. it's rooted. it has SU access, and I've allowed apps from unknown sources.

wireless tether works great for ~5-10m or so and can have multiple users connected, but after that 5-10m the speeds get totally throttled down to near zero. this is repeatable.

known issue or something wrong with my TB or wireless tether?

i've tried reinstalling 2.0.7 and rebooted.

thanks in advance

edit: speedtest dot net put me @ 11mbps from tethered desktop with wireless tether before it goes haywire. barnacle gives me 1.2mbps :p

Last edited:

wooddale

Reaction score
sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but googling led me here without an answer!

i'm using 2.0.7 wireless tether on my new TB. it's rooted. it has SU access, and I've allowed apps from unknown sources.

wireless tether works great for ~5-10m or so and can have multiple users connected, but after that 5-10m the speeds get totally throttled down to near zero.

known issue or something wrong with my TB or wireless tether?

i've tried reinstalling 2.0.7 and rebooted.

thanks in advance

I dont know what version I have on my Bolt downloaded it when it was stillk on the market. I only use it when Im in my cabin in Wisconsin. Its in the woods so sig strength is very poor 1X-3G and 3G is likje 1X but it always works accordingly like crap and just a little better on 3G. I have herd other people say the same as you though.

mj23

Reaction score
I think my problem was my rom somehow.using same version with same radio on bamf it works fine

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk