Wireless Tether and the Thunderbolt

52brandon

Reaction score
I am running das BAMF 1.3.2 found on XDA with adrynalyne's newest kernel and wifi tether fix and am currently tethering my PC to my TB successfully.
You beat me to it, I was gonna ask what ROM everybody was using and if it was BAMF, did they flash the fixes?

ksassin

Reaction score
What is the fix? I guess some roms or kernels don't support the free wireless tether app from the market? I've been running it fine and am rooted, stock. It is also faster than the built in mobile hotspot. Was wanting to try a new Rom that's why I ask. Also (to OP) have you tried letting it sit for a minute?

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I am running das BAMF 1.3.2 found on XDA with adrynalyne's newest kernel and wifi tether fix and am currently tethering my PC to my TB successfully.
You beat me to it, I was gonna ask what ROM everybody was using and if it was BAMF, did they flash the fixes?

I flashed the fix before trying so I can't say if it worked or not before flashing the fix. But it does now. :p

jskyler91

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been said, but for the Wireless tether app found on here: android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting, you must check the hack for htc users which is called routing fix to make it work properly for HTC thunderbolt. Plus, I have found that it works better if you have a password/wifi encryption on. Make sure to touch the second one, not the first wifi encryption (for the 3.0 pre 12 one). Just thought I would post this.

Daethian

Reaction score
I was finally able to get Barnacle to work as well as Easytether again YAH! I didn't do anything special just rebooted my phone and tried again. w00t

stonedoubt

Reaction score
I never had any problems getting Wireless Tether to work but Barnacle (which I use on my D1) limited the download speed to .6Mbps for some reason.

Wireless Tether Results

1233606729.png

blackops

Reaction score
Having same limited speed restriction using barnacle when compared to the built in Verizon mobile hotspot feature. I wrote barnacle dev and he is trying to figure out the issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Fedz84

Reaction score
Sooo this is weird, I got it to work by first enabling verizon's hot spot and while that was active i opened the wireless tether. Su came up to allow permissions (never did that before) then i disabled verizon's hotspot and since then it has worked.

Using das bamf 1.4 w/ 4.3a kernel
never installed that tether fix.zip

bmcglone

Reaction score
I am on BAMF 1.5, and wireless tether works great, but the bluetooth option is grayed out. Anybody know why? I have to use bluetooth on my work computer that will not allow ad hoc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

fritzleboo

Reaction score
I am sorry for just not getting this. Please explain this to me like a 2nd grader. Just got the Thunderbolt. Am using Verizon's free wireless hotspot which ends in a few days. I am looking for detailed instructions on how to get my phones internet to my Dell Laptop computer. I don't mind plugging the Thunderbolt into the computer via USB so my Dell Laptop can share the phones internet but just don't want to pay an extra fee to Verizon per month? Is this possible? Is there a step by step on exactly how to do this? I don't mind paying for a one time app that will do this for me.

DroidStang

Reaction score
Wireless??? That to me would be the paid hotspot that is free now. I do tethering support for my job, and only way we do is thru cable to usb, you can use the pdanet from June fabrics website it installs on computer then prompts you to plug device in, and go from there, you need to turn on usb debugging under pc connect in settings, other than that you pay Verizon for tethering using internet connection mode or to go wireless pay for the hotspot, best I can write here, sorry
Actually if rooted I think there's a wireless for rooted, not stock

Last edited:

cloudman7

Reaction score
My tb would do the same says taking to long to connect but I wait about a minute and it connects I'm using the free one that comes on the tb I'm not rooted yet.

DroidStang

Reaction score
You talking about internet connection mode? That will cost you after 15 May, Verizon gives nothing free after a trial

cloudman7

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm using wife has rooted x and I also have unlimited 3g wifi card. I just got tb to get grandfathered to 4g unlimited but going to get bionic when it comes out seems to be better from what I tested it.

DroidStang

Reaction score
I was waiting on bionic too but heard stories about it, but weren't good and I absolutely love the TB just did a Skype video call with buddy iPad works great, I hardly use computer anymore