Why has Droid forsaken me?

BCrawford

Reaction score
The reality is, you should have done some research on your new phone before you came here to complain about it. Sorry that you can't afford the droid :icon_ cry:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The droid hasn't forsaken you, as someone said it's a provider issue.

And again it's in the contract that most people don't read.

The droid is doing exactly what it should be by general practice, the people who are becoming outraged when learning of the data plan when they sign their contact should probably research the product prior to purchase.

Instant gratification seems to be backfiring on people for a change.

What read? My provider fully verbally explained to me that when I wanted a Blackberry it included a data plan. Phone doesn't work without the data plan.

Every once in a while one of these threads pops up. Really there is no choice in the matter either pay the 30 bucks so you can fully appreciate your Droid or get another phone. It's that simple.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the O.P. didn't do their homework (Droid homework) beforehand. The data requirement argument has already been thoroughly discussed on here. If you don't want the data, you might want to go back and swap it for a phone that doesn't require data. Simple as that. Whining and complaining in a forum isn't going to change anything.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the data charges, but why in the world would you have to pay additional for tethering? It's not like you can use more data when tethered, you are still limited to the same data rate on the same device-

Also, think about what is charged for text messages - at least with the data plan they don't charge insane rates for individual emails... and text messaging is not expensive technology - they should give it away free IMO.

But back to the OP - you might want to look into one of the android tablets and run a VOIP client for calls, or just get a regular old phone to go with it. At least then you would be able to use both devices simultaneously - and you phone would probably do voice better than any smartphone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think unlimited phone calls should be free at one set price for 49.95. Are my expectations unreasonable?

I don't think so but the current market says I am. So I pay what I have to pay.

Does anyone remember when owning a Cellphone cost 49.00 a month and you got 10 minutes free? Has nothing to do with the topic just came to my head. And they were the big walkie talkie things to.

Sorry for the interruption, please continue.

roflcopters

Reaction score
Anyway you look at it...ownership of Droid=Data plan on contract. If you want to Verizon's super cool phone, you have to agree to their terms of using it. You say you will use WiFi for your internet needs...great. There is NO way you will always have access to WiFi...and there WILL be one time when you need/want to browse the web for a bit without WiFI..I'm willing to bet if you were able to get the phone with no data plan and did what I just mentioned, you'd get mad when they charged you $2 per MB. I don't know of any carrier worth having to offer any smarthpone without the making you get the Data plan to go with it.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Anyway you look at it...ownership of Droid=Data plan on contract. If you want to Verizon's super cool phone, you have to agree to their terms of using it. You say you will use WiFi for your internet needs...great. There is NO way you will always have access to WiFi...and there WILL be one time when you need/want to browse the web for a bit without WiFI..I'm willing to bet if you were able to get the phone with no data plan and did what I just mentioned, you'd get mad when they charged you $2 per MB. I don't know of any carrier worth having to offer any smarthpone without the making you get the Data plan to go with it.

The problem is these advanced devices are polling for a connection constantly for their updates: syncing, push mail, app updates, etc.

You can't shut those features off, so not having the data coverage would bankrupt you.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
The droid hasn't forsaken you, as someone said it's a provider issue.

And again it's in the contract that most people don't read.

The droid is doing exactly what it should be by general practice, the people who are becoming outraged when learning of the data plan when they sign their contact should probably research the product prior to purchase.

Instant gratification seems to be backfiring on people for a change.

What read? My provider fully verbally explained to me that when I wanted a Blackberry it included a data plan. Phone doesn't work without the data plan.

Every once in a while one of these threads pops up. Really there is no choice in the matter either pay the 30 bucks so you can fully appreciate your Droid or get another phone. It's that simple.

I understand that even beyond what you should be reading in your contract they explain this to you, my point is that people should be more aware of what they intend to purchase and get some info on it before getting pissed off when they walk in and hear something they don't like.

You want to go buy a product off the shelf that had all the latest technology, plan to pay extra.

I totally agree with you. Even though it's a crap choice we get, it's still our choice to buy it.

theascended

Reaction score
The problem is these advanced devices are polling for a connection constantly for their updates: syncing, push mail, app updates, etc.

You can't shut those features off, so not having the data coverage would bankrupt you.
There's an app for that! :) There is a firewall for android that will stop data going to 3g/1x/edge so it isn't completely unrealistic.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
Verizon makes it very clear when you activate a phone what the terms of the activation are. This is a good lesson to read what you are signing.

roflcopters

Reaction score

There's an app for that! :) There is a firewall for android that will stop data going to 3g/1x/edge so it isn't completely unrealistic.

But there ISN'T an app for Verizon letting you buy the phone without the Data plan, so it really doesn't matter.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
...Now when some hear OPEN they assume I mean FREE...or worse STOLEN! Not true. I don't want anything I am not due by standard methods. I am not trying to get apps I am supposed to be charged for without paying for them. What I want is to be able to get them via a network that I can access with a function built into the phone. But to my detriment, I am charged a $29.95 fee regardless of whether or not I use their network. Does anyone else agree with how WRONG that seems? I feel like I am buying a Jeep and I am being charged some kind of off-road fee even if I am using it solely as a commuter vehicle.

Now it may be that this is the way it is and there is no changing. I would disagree and consider this criminal. I am really disappointed that I am being charged $360 a year just to use a device when I don't intend to use the service I am being charged for.
Your analogy jeeps to off road was perfect? let me know the answer you get?
Thank you.
JOHN

Yes, it is a good analogy, but not in the way you think. If you purchase a Jeep (or Hummer) and use it solely to go to the grocery store (as many of my neighbors do) you pay a "fee" in the form of terrible gas mileage compared to a vehicle designed solely for that purpose. At $3 a gallon, you're paying a significant "fee" for the capability to use the vehicle off road even if you never utilize it. And if you purchase a full size pickup but never haul anything more than a couple of sacks of groceries, ditto.

You could, of course, complain that since you aren't taking your vehicle off-road you should not have to pay for hauling around the capability to do so, but to no avail.

With any smartphone, the Droid included, you're paying for portable access to data regardless of whether a WiFi network is available. Phone manufacturers build in the capability to use both a 3G and a WiFi network. Carriers like Verizon believe there is very little consumer demand for a device supports data transfer ONLY over WiFi (such as an iTouch or iPad) while still providing the functionality of a phone. I suspect they're right.

mattygabe

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the data charges, but why in the world would you have to pay additional for tethering? It's not like you can use more data when tethered, you are still limited to the same data rate on the same device-

Also, think about what is charged for text messages - at least with the data plan they don't charge insane rates for individual emails... and text messaging is not expensive technology - they should give it away free IMO.

But back to the OP - you might want to look into one of the android tablets and run a VOIP client for calls, or just get a regular old phone to go with it. At least then you would be able to use both devices simultaneously - and you phone would probably do voice better than any smartphone.
Wrong - if you're tethering something to your phone, it's most likely a laptop. You're telling me you can't do even more with whatever datarate you're given when you have a 15.6 or 17.1" LCD screen with a touchpad/USB mouse and a FULL KEYBOARD, as well as games (flash and full on 3D)? You're right about the datarate, but wrong about being able to use more data. Just think of that datarate being pushed to its max for 5 times longer than you normally do on something like a Droid.

mattygabe

Reaction score
Now, let's not forget too that Verizon is of course a business (I know, I know, you wouldn't forget that), but previous to all of these Android phones, how did Verizon make the chunk of their change? Aside from the little they get on hardware sales, if at all (the Droid is a $600 device, you can't tell me they're not taking a hit on that portion), Verizon got a lot from their VCast multimedia and applications like the VZNavigator and all of the other bundled features. This is why they had such a tight lid on their phones - to force people to pay for more things. Can't add ringtones to your phone without some seam-work? It's because Verizon wants/needs (that's always debateable) more revenue from you for that stuff. This is one of the reasons I was more than willing to forego the $30/month is because of that openness.

brianr0131

Reaction score
Yes I have to pay for the hardware, I get that.

You don't really "get" this. That's your first problem. You did not pay for the hardware. Even if you paid the whole $199 you didn't "pay" for the hardware. The carriers pay 3-400 for these phones sometimes more. They discount those rates to us in order to make them affordable enough for them to keep and add subscribers.

They mandate a $30 per month fee on such devices to get back their "investment" as soon as possible. The profits they turn often go into new technologies and upgrading their "networks" like the new 4g push coming over the next year or so. How do you think they pay for these things?

Don't get me wrong, I hate paying $200 a month for 2 smartphones just like everyone else, but I wouldn't make a thread complaining about something that was explicitly spelled out on a document I signed.

You could always buy a Nexus one for $529 and start from there.