Why has Droid forsaken me?

kiteless

Reaction score
I would appreciate any enlightenment anyone can shed upon me. I hope this post is appropriate and in the right place.

I had a revelation today that made me quite upset. After waiting for my free phone credit from Verizon and anticipating for months getting my hands on a Droid I found I am going to get charged out of the wazoo just for having it. A Droid carries with it a $29.95 monthly data fee. I did not know this before today.

Now most reading this (as I have found in other forums) will say that if I want the tech toys I have to pay the tech prices. But I would disagree with that to a point. Yes I have to pay for the hardware, I get that. But phones these days are imbued with multiple functions, some that supersede the original functions. Case in point is Wi-Fi that allows one to get their data without having to use the carrier's network.

In addition, Droid is supposed to be from the technology savior Google's benevolent hands. Compare their app store philosophy to Apples and you will see quickly that OPEN is the word of the day.

Now when some hear OPEN they assume I mean FREE...or worse STOLEN! Not true. I don't want anything I am not due by standard methods. I am not trying to get apps I am supposed to be charged for without paying for them. What I want is to be able to get them via a network that I can access with a function built into the phone. But to my detriment, I am charged a $29.95 fee regardless of whether or not I use their network. Does anyone else agree with how WRONG that seems? I feel like I am buying a Jeep and I am being charged some kind of off-road fee even if I am using it solely as a commuter vehicle.

Now it may be that this is the way it is and there is no changing. I would disagree and consider this criminal. I am really disappointed that I am being charged $360 a year just to use a device when I don't intend to use the service I am being charged for.

What I really want is a phone-sized laptop that makes calls. The Droid seems to have come the closest. It has a browser, qwerty keyboard, mp3 player with headphone jack, bash shell, apps, gps, and it just happens to make calls and text. I really wanted this phone but the cost is much more than I can take on. Am I lost on this cause? Is there a way I can avoid the data charge? Is there a way I can "jailbreak" or "root" the phone and do as I wish with it? Is there an alternative phone that will fit my needs? Am I the only one complaining about how that required data charge is immoral and criminal?

Please move this to another forum if required. I am just SUPER distraught about this discovery as I have built myself up for months to lead to this disappointment. Thanks in advance for your input.

(And please leave the iPhone off the list of alternatives.)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any smartphone at any carrier will carry a fee like that. All blackberries do. It's expected and when you buy one it's on the agreement you sign.

You can't expect free data on a phone that eats it up.

OP
kiteless

kiteless

Reaction score
But I don't want free data, I want to make calls and text on their network then use Wi-Fi for everything else. That is not getting free data via their network.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
This is not a Droid issue, but rather a Verizon issue. To an extent, it's becoming an industry/smartphone issue. If you look around the forums, you will see that Verizon is starting to require some type of data plan for any phone that includes any type of "smart" service. One poster mentioned that his wife bought a rather basic phone for standard phone call use and Verizon required a $10 a month data charge. It's just how companies are choosing to nickel and dime us.

OP
kiteless

kiteless

Reaction score
This is not a Droid issue, but rather a Verizon issue.

I fully understand that. But being that Droid is only available through Verizon, well...

But what if I never use their network for data? What if I just wanted to download software via the internet and my computer and upload it to the phone via the SD card? I still stand by my point that this is an unfair and potentially criminal mandatory charge.

And I think it is terrible that we all throw money at cell phone companies just because they present a charge like this along with their fancy new phones. I am outraged...but more heartbroken. I know, I am a softie.

Last edited:

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
This is not a Droid issue, but rather a Verizon issue. To an extent, it's becoming an industry/smartphone issue. If you look around the forums, you will see that Verizon is starting to require some type of data plan for any phone that includes any type of "smart" service. One poster mentioned that his wife bought a rather basic phone for standard phone call use and Verizon required a $10 a month data charge. It's just how companies are choosing to nickel and dime us.
Yep, I was just in Verizon, looks like ALL phones are going to require that $10 nonsense in the future the rep said. A bunch of the new dumb phones already do.

OP
kiteless

kiteless

Reaction score
Canada Increases ‘Music Industry Subsidy’ on Blank CDs | TorrentFreak

This is like when the Canadian government put a tax on blank CDs. This tax was to compensate musicians who supposedly lost revenue due to "illegal downloading". Because we all know that the only thing that you can burn to a CD is music...er, I mean ILLEGALY OBTAINED music. This is an inappropriate way to patch the hole in the dam.

This data fee is just another instance of where we are being jabbed in the wallet because their technology model is FLAWED and can be circumvented. It's the "we better screw people out of their money while we can" plan.

I get that this is the way it is and I just don't get it. But can you all really just sit there and comply without thinking I have a point? I mean really?

jnashr

Reaction score
Not every phone requires a data plan. You can still get very basic phones that don't require the extra charge. A lot of dumb phones are now being offred with data intensive features, thus the extra charge. Did you really think that all the expanded features that tax the network would not cost extra? As for the smartphone data charge....it is written into the contract which you a free to not sign. No one is forcing you to buy a smartphone.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I still stand by my point that this is an unfair and potentially criminal mandatory charge.

"criminal mandatory charge"? << Please clarify this statement.

What law or laws do you feel have been potentially broken and by who?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Ok from what i understand you can buy the N1 "unsubsidized" and use it as a phone without a "data" plan. here's a discussion about it. Anyone with unlocked version or knows about it please help. - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

True You can buy an N1 at full price, But you can only use it on T-Mobile or AT&T (edge Only).

When the N1 comes to VZW it will be under the same rules as the Droid.

And the Data requirement is the the TOS that the OP should of read.
VZW has required the data plan for over a year on smartphones.
This is nothing new.

wil318466

Reaction score
I think the real issue is that we live in a world where there is a "choice", but in reality, there truly isn't.

Case in point - you have to have a data plan.

True, you can choose not to buy a phone that requires a data plan, but you won't get all the goodies that come with it. So, the REAL choice is - You can have a crappy phone, or you can have a better phone that charges a whole hell of a lot more a month.

Its like having cable television. You really can't complain about cable prices, because you CHOOSE to have cable, right? of course, the alternative is what? Its a joke.

This applies to so many things in our modern world, it is very frustrating. ATM fees. Credit card rates, parking tickets. All choices, right?

Cell phones. You can choose to not have one. Just carry a buch of quarters so you can make phone calls at pay phones.

To me, that isn't a choice. Not a real one, anyway.

-Wil

John Higgins

Reaction score
Let me know the answer too ?

I would appreciate any enlightenment anyone can shed upon me. I hope this post is appropriate and in the right place.

I had a revelation today that made me quite upset. After waiting for my free phone credit from Verizon and anticipating for months getting my hands on a Droid I found I am going to get charged out of the wazoo just for having it. A Droid carries with it a $29.95 monthly data fee. I did not know this before today.

Now most reading this (as I have found in other forums) will say that if I want the tech toys I have to pay the tech prices. But I would disagree with that to a point. Yes I have to pay for the hardware, I get that. But phones these days are imbued with multiple functions, some that supersede the original functions. Case in point is Wi-Fi that allows one to get their data without having to use the carrier's network.

In addition, Droid is supposed to be from the technology savior Google's benevolent hands. Compare their app store philosophy to Apples and you will see quickly that OPEN is the word of the day.

Now when some hear OPEN they assume I mean FREE...or worse STOLEN! Not true. I don't want anything I am not due by standard methods. I am not trying to get apps I am supposed to be charged for without paying for them. What I want is to be able to get them via a network that I can access with a function built into the phone. But to my detriment, I am charged a $29.95 fee regardless of whether or not I use their network. Does anyone else agree with how WRONG that seems? I feel like I am buying a Jeep and I am being charged some kind of off-road fee even if I am using it solely as a commuter vehicle.

Now it may be that this is the way it is and there is no changing. I would disagree and consider this criminal. I am really disappointed that I am being charged $360 a year just to use a device when I don't intend to use the service I am being charged for.

What I really want is a phone-sized laptop that makes calls. The Droid seems to have come the closest. It has a browser, qwerty keyboard, mp3 player with headphone jack, bash shell, apps, gps, and it just happens to make calls and text. I really wanted this phone but the cost is much more than I can take on. Am I lost on this cause? Is there a way I can avoid the data charge? Is there a way I can "jailbreak" or "root" the phone and do as I wish with it? Is there an alternative phone that will fit my needs? Am I the only one complaining about how that required data charge is immoral and criminal?

Please move this to another forum if required. I am just SUPER distraught about this discovery as I have built myself up for months to lead to this disappointment. Thanks in advance for your input.

(And please leave the iPhone off the list of alternatives.)
Your analogy jeeps to off road was perfect? let me know the answer you get?
Thank you.
JOHN

nerdbox08

Reaction score
The droid hasn't forsaken you, as someone said it's a provider issue.

And again it's in the contract that most people don't read.

The droid is doing exactly what it should be by general practice, the people who are becoming outraged when learning of the data plan when they sign their contact should probably research the product prior to purchase.

Instant gratification seems to be backfiring on people for a change.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The data requirement really doesn't bother me with the Droid and other smart phones. What bothers me is their requirement of a data plan on feature phones now. Just because there are people out there that buy a multimedia phone without a data plan and use data anyway then cry the blues when they get a $500 bill, everyone has to pay the price. We have three phones on out plan. My Droid, my wife's env3 and my daughter's env Touch. The Touch requires a data plan even though my daughter has no desire to use it and I really don't want to pay it. And actually the env3 does now too but we signed up right before it was added to the data plan required list.

These Verizon sales people need to educate every single customer and explain to them that if they use data without a data plan they will be charged. And explain to them every little thing on the phone that uses data so that way there is no surprise bills. So that way people who want a nice touch screen or multimedia phone don't have to pay extra for things they don't need.