Additional Fees for the Droid?

texasPI

Reaction score
I would not blow my cash on the droid and a data plan at your age. There is no need when you can get by with an itouch. What happens two months from now when you lose or your droid gets stolen at school etc? Then you're still stuck with the service plan for 1 or 2 yrs.

Seriously, I used to dream big at that age but honestly, I was more interested in girls...:icon_evil:

vonfink13

Reaction score
the droid is really cool..but expensive....my advice...get an ipod touch and use the free wifi...

andjarnic

Reaction score
Wow.. 15 and getting a droid. YF.. from what you said about games coming out in 2010, my guess is you want the droid for games. If you are not an Android developer looking for a phone to develop with for testing, then like many have said, this is not the phone for you, especially if you mostly want it to play games. The iPod Touch is a better game platform, at least for the next year or two until a lot more Android 2.0+ games come out. So if it's mostly games you want, the $200 on iPod Touch is the way to go.. no phone/data plan needed, better games, still can run most apps, you're just stuck with wifi only use. You hinted that it what you wanted to do anyway. This way, you can get a cheap arse phone, one of them free ones that will cost you (or your dad) $10 a month to add it to his plan.

BTW, you keep saying $200 for the phone.. its $346 including tax unless you're signing up for a 2 year plan.. which I assume you were doing. That said, you don't need $720 up front.. it's about $100 a month for the voice/data plan + 250 text messages..actually it's about $112 a month with taxes applied. IF your dad already has verizon, which I assume he does since you only mention paying the data plan, I am guessing he's adding you to the line, then really all you need to do is come up with about $30 a month for data. I assume you'll do some texting on this thing OUTSIDE of school hours? If so, it's $5 for 250 text messages in/out. $10 for 500 text messages + unlimited text to anyone on verizion, and $20 gets you unlimited to anyone on any carrier.

So, while this phone is really kewl, and worth it if you can afford it and have a use for it, if you're primarily getting it to call people with, do some texting and playing games, you are FAR better off with a cheap/free phone that has a flip/slide keyboard, and buying the iPod Touch.

Squidpoker

Reaction score
I think he meant games for xbox360, ps3 or pc? He probably wants to buy the new games coming out but won't have money to buy it if he buys the droid.

If you can't afford the droid, you should just get an env touch IMO.

sin vicious

Reaction score
wow...lol..

thanks, Droid1610. It is worth it? hmmm, how much money would it be with the data plan for a year, also, I got wifi, so I dont exactly believe I need the data plan. I think it would be nice to have, But I really don't want to deplete my money, I'm only 15, well and like 3/4ths and I don't have a job. And I got 200 dollars right now, so it would be tough for me to say afloat with this phones plan

Not trying to be a jerk but if you're only 15 the last thing you should be worrying about right now is a cell phone. Go to school and do what you need to do... and tell your friends to put the phone down and pay attention in class.... Just saying.

Oh yeah, and thanks for being the perfect example of why so many kids these days disgust me.

Get a job and earn a living and then complain if you want but for now, Mommy and Daddy says what goes..

As harsh as it sounds... the pussification and liberalization has created the need for strong confrontation. Kid, trust me its for your own good.

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
Well looks like I got a few things to address, First, I was talking about 360 games, second I don't want the phone for games, i want it for other things like the gps. Third, my parents will pay for the texting plan and phone plan, and it is nor adding a line. Thanks everyone for the advice, especially greenchicken. I believe that i can support this phone, and the thing is, I just don't want and Ipod touch, it's just kinda fun to play with not have. And texasPI I go to an all boy school so I can't worry about girls, so ya. And sin vicious, it is harsh what he is saying, because I am probaly much smarter than that man ever was when he was 15 and am much brave to try this out. Not to be arrogant. Just to fight back :). Again thanks for all your support everyone. Keep um coming

Erich_F

Reaction score
I am probaly much smarter than that man ever was when he was 15 and am much brave to try this out.

What do they say about people that live in glass houses, there smart kid?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
...also, I got wifi, so I dont exactly believe I need the data plan...

Unfortunately, you are required to have the data plan. You won't be able to activate the phone until you add one to your current plan.

Edit: See this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/58-data-plan-required-answer-yes.html

Hmm thanks for the info, but can I stop the data plan and use the wifi after a month or so, like its an ipod touch

Negative. If you have this hone or ANY smart phone from VZW the data plan is required. Sorry about that.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am probaly much smarter than that man ever was when he was 15 and am much brave to try this out.

Fair warning here guys :icon_ banana:. Keep it friendly. Don't make me do it!. Even if he is 15 it makes no difference. You guys know what mom always says! I'll be watching this thread for a bit now. Please keep it nice and clean

texasPI

Reaction score
Well, good luck. If I were you I'd pass given the constraints you've outlined. That said, I did a bunch of dumb things when I was younger (not saying you're dumb) and that the only way I learned for myself. I don't necessarily think its bad if you earn it on your own and whatnot as I did that too while in high school, bought my first car, walked five miles to school in the snow too etc :)

PS: Bummer about the no girls! Oh well, I dated a few girls from an all girls school and they were wilder than those from my high school! ;)

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
Well, good luck. If I were you I'd pass given the constraints you've outlined. That said, I did a bunch of dumb things when I was younger (not saying you're dumb) and that the only way I learned for myself. I don't necessarily think its bad if you earn it on your own and whatnot as I did that too while in high school, bought my first car, walked five miles to school in the snow too etc :)

PS: Bummer about the no girls! Oh well, I dated a few girls from an all girls school and they were wilder than those from my high school! ;)
Ha ha ya no girls, but it is a ridiculously good school. I love it. And i AM GETTING THE DROID. So I think this closes the discussion. Thanks again to evetyone who commented. You all helped a lot.

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score

Fair warning here guys :icon_ banana:. Keep it friendly. Don't make me do it!. Even if he is 15 it makes no difference. You guys know what mom always says! I'll be watching this thread for a bit now. Please keep it nice and clean
I'm sorry but the man's text on the front page needed addressing, I know that that is a bad way to address it. But it had to be done

drawbridgep

Reaction score
You could go out and buy a car without wheels. Sit in it on your driveway, play with the radio, even rev the engine, but without wheels, you're really not getting out of it what it was designed for.

Droid without a data plan is like a car without wheels.