Additional Fees for the Droid?

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
Wow thanks a lot vonfink, tat website will help me a ton:)! Thanks for all your support guys, I just gotta find $720, maybe I'll find a few hundred twenty dollar bills on the ground:)

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
...also, I got wifi, so I dont exactly believe I need the data plan...

Unfortunately, you are required to have the data plan. You won't be able to activate the phone until you add one to your current plan.

Edit: See this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/58-data-plan-required-answer-yes.html

Hmm thanks for the info, but can I stop the data plan and use the wifi after a month or so, like its an ipod touch

TomN

Reaction score
So you're paying for the phone and your dad is paying for the calling plan except for the $30 a month data plan? I understand that for 2 years the data plan comes up to $720 but why do you need that all at once? Sure $30 a month is a bit of money for a 15 year old, but there are ways to earn the money every month. Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, getting a paper route... So no it's not impossible. I wish stuff like this was available when I was 15! I wish you luck!

TomN

Reaction score
Oh and not to make things sound worse, but is your Dad going to pay for insurance on the phone? I forget what it is per month, but it would be a very good idea to get insurance on the phone just in case something happens.

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
So you're paying for the phone and your dad is paying for the calling plan except for the $30 a month data plan? I understand that for 2 years the data plan comes up to $720 but why do you need that all at once? Sure $30 a month is a bit of money for a 15 year old, but there are ways to earn the money every month. Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, getting a paper route... So no it's not impossible. I wish stuff like this was available when I was 15! I wish you luck!
Thanks alot. I already got 200 dollars, what I plan on doing is using the money for the first few months, then add the christmas money to it, then add my birthday money in march, and continue that cycle, maybe I'll even get a job in the summer. But, I have 1 huge obstucle, and thats video games, once the new games come out in 2010, I'm going to be hurting.

moosc

Reaction score
he better stick to the ipod touch that doesnt require a data plan... every major carrier is requiring data plans min 30$ no ifs and buts about it. iphone bb android palm etc. liker i said stay with the ipod touch end of discusion

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
he better stick to the ipod touch that doesnt require a data plan... every major carrier is requiring data plans min 30$ no ifs and buts about it. iphone bb android palm etc. liker i said stay with the ipod touch end of discusion
See thats what I was afraid I'd have to do. It stinks because the droid looked very very appealing to me. It's a shame. I'll have to see what I can do.

soyboy

Reaction score
Before I had the Droid, I never had a phone with a data plan. I held out until now only because I didn't want to switch to AT&T for the iphone (which I like a lot) and I didn't really care for the previous smartphones on Verizon. While I can afford the extra $30 a month I did cringe a bit about it before I signed up. Now that I have had it for a week, I can see that the dollar a day (less than a candy bar, way less than a cup of coffee etc. etc.) is a bargin (at least in the realm of cell phone fees). Actually mine is 20% less than that due to a corporate discount (I pay, I just get a discount). For all the things that this and other smartphones do I don't see why folks would complain about $1 a day, unless you are in dire straits in which case you have some sort of minimal plan for emergency use only. In any event, if the 15 y.o. kid really wants the phone, he can likely find a way to earn the moo laa. If not, it's no big deal just to have a normal cell phone. The Touch would be a great idea if you could live with wifi only. In most cities is pretty common. Good luck.

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
Before I had the Droid, I never had a phone with a data plan. I held out until now only because I didn't want to switch to AT&T for the iphone (which I like a lot) and I didn't really care for the previous smartphones on Verizon. While I can afford the extra $30 a month I did cringe a bit about it before I signed up. Now that I have had it for a week, I can see that the dollar a day (less than a candy bar, way less than a cup of coffee etc. etc.) is a bargin (at least in the realm of cell phone fees). Actually mine is 20% less than that due to a corporate discount (I pay, I just get a discount). For all the things that this and other smartphones do I don't see why folks would complain about $1 a day, unless you are in dire straits in which case you have some sort of minimal plan for emergency use only.
Well, I obiviously can't get a discount because I'm only a teenager, I think I'll smooth talk the poeple at verizon get my an extmely good deal. A buck a day huh? hmmm somthing to think about...

OP
YA123

YA123

Reaction score
Lemme ask a new question is the Droid worth it

mact

Reaction score
I'm sry greenchicken that doesnt help much, because I really don't want the data plan, i guest my hopes of getting a droid are shattered. All I have to say is THANKS VERIZON FOR RUINING MY DREAMS. (sry bout that ConqSoft)

Why a Droid without the data connection> Might as well have an iPod nano. Or a Motorola Razr V3c (the first one)

mact

Reaction score
Before I had the Droid, I never had a phone with a data plan. I held out until now only because I didn't want to switch to AT&T for the iphone (which I like a lot) and I didn't really care for the previous smartphones on Verizon. While I can afford the extra $30 a month I did cringe a bit about it before I signed up. Now that I have had it for a week, I can see that the dollar a day (less than a candy bar, way less than a cup of coffee etc. etc.) is a bargin (at least in the realm of cell phone fees). Actually mine is 20% less than that due to a corporate discount (I pay, I just get a discount). For all the things that this and other smartphones do I don't see why folks would complain about $1 a day, unless you are in dire straits in which case you have some sort of minimal plan for emergency use only.
Well, I obiviously can't get a discount because I'm only a teenager, I think I'll smooth talk the poeple at verizon get my an extmely good deal. A buck a day huh? hmmm somthing to think about...

That is ON TOP of the phone plan. Total is in the neighborhood of $70/month for voice and data.

greenchicken

Reaction score
See thats what I was afraid I'd have to do. It stinks because the droid looked very very appealing to me. It's a shame. I'll have to see what I can do.
It's not bad to dream about things as a kid but when I was 14 I was washing dishes at a restaurant making 2.90 per hour and I was the richest kid in the neighborhood, I don't know where you live but you can get a work permit and work a few hours after school and on the weekends....

The money is out there, go out there and get it...

P.S. I hope you get your phone, but I also hope you get it by working for it instead of mom and dad buying it for you, it will teach you a good lesson today for later in life....Good Luck young man