Termination Fees

lsu1981

Reaction score
Recently I changed jobs and now have significant international travel. I visited a Verizon store to discuss upgrading from the [Original] Droid and adding some sort of international data plan. Unfortunately Verizon only had LATAM and Europe data plans -- they could not cost effectively cover Russia, Singapore, India, China, Australia/New Zealand, etc. Their only data solution for those locations was $20/mb. I use ~100mb/week so that $2000/week is not a financially feasible solution. I switched to another carrier.

Verizon just sent a final bill with $405 in early termination fees (for Droid and two flip phones). The contract was last renewed when I added the Droid so many months ago. Verizon will not show any consideration the term fees even though the cancellation is because they don't have a plan that works for me.

Any suggestions on how to get this dropped/reduced? Anyone else had success getting term fees reduced or eliminated?

thanks.

jseah

Reaction score
When you got the Droid, you most likely signed on (depending on when you signed the contract) for a $350 ETF, that reduced $10 per month you were in contract. The flips phones would have had $175 ETF each, reduced $5 per month.

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to get out of your ETF. Business travel overseas is not a valid excuse. Your best bet would be to sell your phones and use the proceeds to offset the ETF costs.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon will not show any consideration the term fees even though the cancellation is because they don't have a plan that works for me.
You agreed to the TOS when you signed up and the ETF stipulations were part of that agreement. If you're cancelling before the end of your contract you're subject to ETF. Not being happy with with the data plan options does not get you out of paying the ETF.