Why has Droid forsaken me?

papy72

Reaction score
Why would anyone buy a full smartphone just to make calls and text? There are lots of phones that can do that but "only" require the $10 data plan, and of course other phones that require no data plan at all.

Buying a smartphone that you don't use is a waste. It's like spending $5k on a tricked out gaming PC and all you do is surf the net with it.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
OP - in theory you're correct - you could simply use the Droid as a phone unless connected to a WiFi hotspot at which point you would consume data over that network connection. In reality I'm not certain you could pull this off.

First of all, this phone is inextricably integrated into the cloud. As someone else pointed out, it is constantly polling servers, receiving push email, syncing contacts, determining location, etc., etc. GPS, for example, requires a data connection to load maps (unless you have pre-cached them using third party software) and to assist with location detection (aGPS). I think the issue you would run into is that the phone would become a nightmare to manage.

Every time you left the vicinity of a wireless network you would have to switch of background sync and then re-enable it at the next hotspot. I have nothing to substantiate this, but my guess would be that some applications would still transmit data over 3G even when the phone was connected to WiFi. In that case, you would have to manage the applications you selected for your phone. For example, if a developer creates an app with very minimal data requirements and doesn't have the forethought to include logic to switch to WiFi when possible, the application would continue to use 3G even when other apps switched to the available WiFi connection. The only way you would know if this was happening would be to look at the application code or your inflated bill at the end of the month.

Bottom line, I think the Droid is too integrated with wireless data to be a manageable device without it. I agree with others who suggest a WiFi enabled tablet (or iPod touch?) and a dumb-phone.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. It seems to me that you would be better off using a laptop. You can send and receive free txt messages ([email protected]), use skype to call or use one of the IM clients with webcam.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mandatory data plans suck... but we all still pay them, so it's not going anywhere
Even some of the 'dumb' phones are starting to make data mandatory. VZW requires all 'media' phones to have a plan as well. ($9.99)

Last edited:

qoncept

Reaction score
For the moment, the cell phone companies can do what they want. Tack on charges because you're using a phone that has a certain capability whether or not you want to use it? Sure.

But this isn't going to last. A Verizon (or whoever) salesman is going to wonder up to the wrong congressman looking to buy a phone, an investigation is going to be launched, and eventually there will be legislation.

Right now, it's kind of like the BS "convenience charge" from ticketmaster. The difference is, communications is a lot more ubiquitous and less frivolous than concert tickets.

What can you do? Talk to your representatives, complain (or even make a scene) at the cell phone places, don't buy the phone.. but what you definately SHOULDN'T do is defend the practice. Cell phone companies make their biggest money on the people they are able to dupe and swindle. Why would you want to enable that?

wil318466

Reaction score
For the moment, the cell phone companies can do what they want. Tack on charges because you're using a phone that has a certain capability whether or not you want to use it? Sure.

But this isn't going to last. A Verizon (or whoever) salesman is going to wonder up to the wrong congressman looking to buy a phone, an investigation is going to be launched, and eventually there will be legislation.

Right now, it's kind of like the BS "convenience charge" from ticketmaster. The difference is, communications is a lot more ubiquitous and less frivolous than concert tickets.

What can you do? Talk to your representatives, complain (or even make a scene) at the cell phone places, don't buy the phone.. but what you definately SHOULDN'T do is defend the practice. Cell phone companies make their biggest money on the people they are able to dupe and swindle. Why would you want to enable that?

Its amazing what the phones can do these days. If you think of all the computing power you have with a Droid, its phenomenal, and it'll only get better as time goes on.

But 90 bucks a month for the rest of my life? Hmm.. Somehow I think that number is a bit much. Maybe its just me.

-Wil

mattygabe

Reaction score
I definitely agree with you on that. I do feel that consumers should be able to pick and choose when it comes to data plans (more choices are always better). The trend with the carriers seems to be the opposite though. At&t used to leave data plans as optional but they're now mandatory. I'm not sure what the consumer can really do. Leaving a carrier is really the most effective way of getting your point across in my experience and even that doesn't do much unless there's enough churn for them to take note.
I'd imagine that one of the stigmas for the companies to enforce the dataplan, aside from the obvious subsidy of their network costs, is that I'm sure they got a bad rep from consumers going online after they got a bill and found their rather exorbitant data usage on their dumbphone was translated into a dollar figure, and thought it was unfair. Believe me, if data had been free I would have been pulling down a fairly large amount of data on my Motorola KRZR-K1m, you'd be surprised how much you start to use it once you have it.

By wonder I'll assume you mean wander, and I highly doubt this happens. Most congressmen and congresswomen have other people that do these things for them, and $30 a month is a drop in the bucket for them.

Besides, do you truly think they have enough time to take on an issue like this to be a true consumer advocate? They're too busy finding more pork to bring home. </cynicism>

qoncept

Reaction score
Besides, do you truly think they have enough time to take on an issue like this to be a true consumer advocate? They're too busy finding more pork to bring home. </cynicism>
The $10 a month charge for "multimedia" phones is a drop in the bucket for just about anyone, but it pisses you off when you find out you're paying it whether or not you want to use it. Congressmen are human beings and hardly above any vendettas (right or wrong). There's no doubt in my mind it will come up if the practice becomes prevalent. Witness the current investigations in to early termination fees, already being looked at before they were doubled. The feds got them to at least start prorating it in the last few years.

OP
kiteless

kiteless

Reaction score
The $10 a month charge for "multimedia" phones is a drop in the bucket for just about anyone, but it pisses you off when you find out you're paying it whether or not you want to use it. Congressmen are human beings and hardly above any vendettas (right or wrong). There's no doubt in my mind it will come up if the practice becomes prevalent. Witness the current investigations in to early termination fees, already being looked at before they were doubled. The feds got them to at least start prorating it in the last few years.

Got a list of representatives who haven't taken telco donations?

qoncept

Reaction score
I dont participate in politics.

I do, however, believe eventually someone with power is going to care enough to do something about it.

YellowTwo

Reaction score
Some have posted interesting financial figures which have helped, but some just seem happy to throw their money at a company just because they can and HA HA at anyone who can't. Sad.

I have appreciated the feedback as it has been enlightening. On the contrary, the "internet hate machine" showed up as expected as well. So thanks to all who contributed, and to those who just pointed fingers and laughed, do you have nothing else CONSTRUCTIVE to add? I bet you do!

Internet Hate Machine is perfect. You seem to find people's internet attitudes as childish as I do. And it's the result of anonymity. It's funny that everyone is flaming you for not reading the fine print and for then buying the phone when you never actually said you had bought the phone and that reading the fine print was precisely what you were doing.

Kiteless has every reason to post how outrageous it is of Verizon because, when you first realize it, it is. Most people are just used to it by now.

By the way you might want to look into getting a Pocket PC (aka phones with Windows Mobile). A friend of mine had one for a long time through verizon without having to pay any monthly data fees, and they have WiFi. I'm not positive if you still don't have to pay for data, though.

Reaction score
Whoa Whoa.. Back up.. If you really wanted your droid (thats really a 500+ dollar phone) for that 199 or less.. What u expect?! Of course there gonna nickel and dime the **** out of us. If you buy ANY "Smart" Phone from carriers like At&t, Verizon,and Sprint. They will Require a data plan because "Smart" phones depend On an Internet connection just to do some of the simple things like "Widgets"..You may be able to get it Wifi but you honestly think they would let that opportunity for charge go?!..Nahhh, i don't think so. I'm gonna say this and say it once "Smart phones ain't for everyone. If you simply cannot afford one, DON'T BUY ONE and complain about the charges!" People sure know now to find the negatives and complain alot.. Okay, Back in my happy place.

I'm My girlfriends Slave for a week because i lost my super bowl bet with her...Yeah, its gonna make me a bit...short tempered lmao.. =)

OP
kiteless

kiteless

Reaction score
Of course there gonna nickel and dime the **** out of us.

Eight pages in, I am getting that point by now. But I wish people wouldn't say nickel and dime. It's more like they are going to 600 nickel or 300 dime the **** out of us monthly! $360 a year is a significant chunk of money!

mattygabe

Reaction score
Some have posted interesting financial figures which have helped, but some just seem happy to throw their money at a company just because they can and HA HA at anyone who can't. Sad.

I have appreciated the feedback as it has been enlightening. On the contrary, the "internet hate machine" showed up as expected as well. So thanks to all who contributed, and to those who just pointed fingers and laughed, do you have nothing else CONSTRUCTIVE to add? I bet you do!

Internet Hate Machine is perfect. You seem to find people's internet attitudes as childish as I do. And it's the result of anonymity. It's funny that everyone is flaming you for not reading the fine print and for then buying the phone when you never actually said you had bought the phone and that reading the fine print was precisely what you were doing.

Kiteless has every reason to post how outrageous it is of Verizon because, when you first realize it, it is. Most people are just used to it by now.

By the way you might want to look into getting a Pocket PC (aka phones with Windows Mobile). A friend of mine had one for a long time through verizon without having to pay any monthly data fees, and they have WiFi. I'm not positive if you still don't have to pay for data, though.

When they required the data plans, they three-tiered their cellphones into either "Smart Phones" which all require $29.99, "Multimedia Phones" which require at least the $9.99, and then "Simple Feature Phones" which don't need data.

Of course there gonna nickel and dime the **** out of us.

Eight pages in, I am getting that point by now. But I wish people wouldn't say nickel and dime. It's more like they are going to 600 nickel or 300 dime the **** out of us monthly! $360 a year is a significant chunk of money!
GOSH!!@! IDIOT!!

Haha, just kidding. I think you are correct Y2, the whole data plan thing is a bit crazy when you step back, everyone's just so used to it. Verizon DID lower the charges for minutes on average by $30, though I think, so that does offset the cost a LITTLE bit. Regardless, I've said this before had they given me free data for use even just on my KRZR I would've pulled in some serious data, and had they made the data charge optional, I doubt hardly anyone would optionally sign up for the $30 charge monthly, so their network would be terrible (and they'd either raise prices for their plans or phones). All the while AT&T would insist that every smart phone has a data plan.

Shrewd business move, there are a lot of individuals (as myself) that will forgo that additional $30/mo in order to get a smart phone. Just sucks for the little guy (including myself!).

brianr0131

Reaction score
Verizon DID lower the charges for minutes on average by $30, though I think, so that does offset the cost a LITTLE bit.

Actually they lowered the unlimited from 99 to 69 but they lowered the 2100 minute family plan to 2000. They do what they feel they can get away with. They also played with some of the other plans. I believe they raised one too.