Why does it seam like torrenting is frowned upon

idk5

Reaction score
i have noticed that there a very thin line with torrenting and it seams like internet providers don't like you torrenting, and torrenting has a bad rep for being used only for illegal uses.
Please correct me on this or inform me on this topic.
thanks

blackngray70

Reaction score
Well in general torrenting is considered piracy.

In my experience the majority of torrents out there is pirated material.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Torrenting is mainly used for piracy. Their frown is justified.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
+1 to all responses.

How many times are you going to find a legit software or media on torrent sites? There are uses for legit torrents, but I'm gonna say 95% of them aren't and that is why they are frowned upon.

OP
idk5

idk5

Reaction score
I like torrenting big files like linux

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

wlemammoth

Reaction score
Well I think you are just feeding the trolls, but it was a completely different technology. Correct me if I'm wrong but napster used a central server and bittorrent is distributed, everyone acts as a client and a server, at least they do if they are sharing. But I think we both know that he was really trying to cast bittorrent in a negative light by calling it "napstering" when their are many legitimate uses for it too.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well I think you are just feeding the trolls, but it was a completely different technology. Correct me if I'm wrong but napster used a central server and bittorrent is distributed, everyone acts as a client and a server, at least they do if they are sharing. But I think we both know that he was really trying to cast bittorrent in a negative light by calling it "napstering" when their are many legitimate uses for it too.

There are legit uses for it but overall its used to share illegal media. And since it got popular by torrenting illegal software that's why its frowned upon.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

Heywood

Reaction score

Sheldon...you are reading to far into it and complicating it without merit.

I'm into "the whole brevity thing"....I was using Napster as a generalization.