Comcast Caps Subscribers At 1TB Per Month

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Serving data costs more than consuming it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
As long as people keep believing that these companies are being crippled by people who consume massive amounts of data they will continually get away with whatever they feel like doing. I can probably bet that like Verizon, the people on Comcast that are using "MASSIVE" amounts of data is either at or less than 1%. I'm sorry but if a company that is pulling in billions in revenue every single year and 1% of your user base can make you feel the burn.....then maybe the problem isn't consumers. With 4K content picking up speed, they need to think about upgrading to make sure they can handle it, not data capping because they can't. With that said though some of the blame can be passed on to consumers, specifically the consumer who is always "more than happy to pay for a little bit more"

Last edited:

Beardface

Reaction score
As long as people keep believing that these companies are being crippled by people who consume massive amounts of data they will continually get away with whatever they feel like doing. I can probably bet that like Verizon, the people on Comcast that are using "MASSIVE" amounts of data is either at or less than 1%. I'm sorry but if a company that is pulling in billions in revenue every single year and 1% of your user base can make you feel the burn.....then maybe the problem isn't consumers. With 4K content picking up speed, they need to think about upgrading to make sure they can handle it, not data capping because they can't. With that said though some of the blame can be passed on to consumers, specifically the consumer who is always "more than happy to pay for a little bit more"
Bingo

TWC got exposed here in NC last year. Before Google Fiber announced they were coming to this area the fastest internet speed you could get was about 100GB and even then you'd be paying our your ass for it. Then Google Fiber announced. Almost overnight, TWC cut their rates by nearly 60% and the fastest speeds they could support were now miraculously 300GB. No additional cable rollouts were needed, they just flipped the switch.

These companies are setting arbitrarily low caps to speed and consumption to artificially increase price. They can do this because they have backroom agreements throughout the marketplace that the ISPs would evenly split up the country and would not encroach on each other's turf, stifling competition and discouraging growth. They act as a monopoly and the consumers are paying dearly for it. They know that the internet is a vital part of our daily life now, and they're taking every advantage they can in raking in the money off of it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
They failed to mention how many minutes of 4k adult video I could watch with a terabyte. I am sure it wouldn't even be a week's worth, let alone a month.
2500 minutes or approximately 21 full length films. ;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This less than 2 months after raising their prices by quite a bit. Mine went up $15 a month. For me it's them, dsl or Dish internet (which is the definition of gouging for home internet in my opinion).

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Everyone is getting rid of cable so they're milking everyone for anything they can.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I still have no competition where I live. Sucks, but they haven't raised my rate and no cap.
Paying $60 for $15.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I still have no competition where I live. Sucks, but they haven't raised my rate and no cap.
Paying $60 for 15.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Is this their jab back at the public for the fines the FCC dropped on them?

Also I bet a very very small percentage of people use 1tb a month on a home setup, but I'll just bet that many more will try to get as close to that as possible.

Samsung Note 7.5

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
yeah so all of that, multiplied by say a household of say 4 people... you've got 3 people gaming and watching netflix at the same time while using voice chat software. one of them is torrenting movies, the 4th is just surfing the net... it all adds up. stupid video from comcast is stupid.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
A TB is still a ton, lifted....

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
A TB is still a ton, lifted....

In today's society, a terabyte isn't a TON, it's alot... I don't torrent movies or shows anymore as I've got HBO hulu netflix amazon etc etc... no need to. and I still hit 824gb average over the last few months.

That's me and 2 friends who use my internet, and I'm not even home near as much as they are.

Reactions: cr6

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I promise you are probably in the top 1% of users at that number. I still stand by a ton being a lot. :D

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
What I'm saying is it's not just my usage, there's only 3 people... if you've got a large family of say 5 and everyone uses around 200gb of data (which is not a ton, or a lot) that's about 1tb.... it can easily be used up... that's the point I'm trying to make... 1 user, sure that's a HUGE amount of data, 4 or more users... not really.

oh and, technically you're correct.

ton1
tən/
noun.
  1. informal
    a large number or amount.
    "all of a sudden I had tons of friends"
lot
lät/
pronoun
informal
  1. 1.
    a large number or amount; a great deal.
    "there are a lot of actors in the cast"
    synonyms: a large amount, a fair amount, a good/great deal, a great quantity, quantities, an abundance, a wealth, a profusion, plenty, a mass; More