why 2.2 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Droid Polls' started by IIIVanishIII, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Horch it

Horch it Member

LOL...you say boohoo on 2.2...just ask how in the heck do I get my phone back to 2.1, no offense to those that have 2.2, but I would prefer that. DONE!
  2. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

3. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

My guess is you would have to root your phone and/or load some kind of custom ROM to go back to 2.1. otherwise you would just get 2.2 OTA update pushed again and again.

I am testing the 78MB version of the 2.2 update and will have a much more objective opinion after I have played with it for a while. I need to see if it fixes some of the issues I have been having.

So far it "seems" faster but then again I just re-booted the phone to load the upgrade so that could be altering my perception. Until I have more testing time under my belt I am officially retracting my "boohoo" :)
  4. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

Interesting side note: My phone was 100% charged before I applied the new (70MB) 2.2 update and after the update it is at 80% and charging. Maybe the 40MB "patched" version or 2.2 had an issue with charging the battery to the max level giving the "illusion" of poor battery performance. Really it was just stopping at 80% of a charge.
  5. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Yup. And if you've done that, why not try a Custom ROM. What's so special about 2.1, anyway, other than being different by running obsolete, less-stable, slow-running, poorer-performing code? You a Windows user or something?
  6. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

Wow, way to stereotype.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. ///Merlin\\\

///Merlin\\\ New Member

You guys are funny. If I wasn't such a smart ass myself, I wouldn't get it.lol
  8. giant25

giant25 New Member

I don't believe that will fix what Google actually broke. Go read about it. Does your slacker sound great with a real stereo? That's my issue. My car lost its bass and highs with 2.2.
  9. furbearingmammal

My apologies to any man/woman/small fuzzy creature from Alpha Centauri who was offended by my recent post referring to Windows as "obsolete, less-stable, slow-running, poorer-performing code".
  10. furbearingmammal

You can believe what you like. If it fixes it you're golden, if it doesn't you're out nothing but a few minutes of your time and a bit of the bandwidth you pay $30 a month for unlimited use of -- or whatever you pay for your internet connection at home if you don't download it from your phone. Another option is to go to Verizon and see what they say/do. But do something, don't just complain to a forum that has nothing official to do with the upate, software, or phone in general. Even if that's just starting a thread with a complete rundown of your problem and what you've done to solve it elsewhere in the forum.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do. :)
  11. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

I wasn't offended, I just think it's funny because it doesn't apply to me; my Windows has never had stability problems, runs awesomely, and performs beautifully.

Although it is XP so some people would argue it's becoming obsolete, but considering how many people still use it...

What would you be comparing it to, anyway? While awesome, even Linux's most stable distros like Ubuntu are way less stable than Windows [or Mac for that matter]. And do not often perform as well. The code is great though, just because Unix is awesome. lol.

I don't know why I'm arguing. lmao. I don't mean anything offensive by it.
  12. furbearingmammal

And I was being provocative intentionally by referring to 2.1 and Windows in negative terms. :)

I run XP. To anyone who thinks it's outdated, consider the fact that Microsoft just extended support to approximately 2020. :D

As for Linux, try Puppy. It's, ah, interesting how much stuff can be crammed into 128MB of ISO to be burnt to CD.

I've seen Windows boxes that couldn't run more than an hour without borking and Linux boxes that ran for months without reboots. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it, but it's happened. It's like every Droid is different, every PC is different.

BUT! 2.2, in a properly installed situation, is a major step forward for the Droid. A couple of minor annoyances and a whole mess of major improvements. 2.2 FTW.
  13. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

The only qwirk I have is the whole homescreen-not-immediately-loading-after-using-an-app. The dang thing can take up to 5 seconds for all of my icons to appear sometimes.

It just seems my droid is a tad unresponsive and slow. However, I'm now diving into overclocking, so I may be able to solve this issue...
  14. furbearingmammal

Yeah, the redraw issue is a pain. I'm sure something's in the works to fix it.
  15. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

How would that work if you've flashed a custom ROM? Don't OTA updates stop coming once you do that? Or is it once you've rooted? Or something like that. I thought I remembered reading something like that.
  16. furbearingmammal

I meant in the code -- once it's on the AOSP it'll hit the ROMs.

OTAs are blocked in most ROMs, yes, but I keep my eye on the stock updates as well. Not that I want to go back, but since most Droid owners are stock I can be most useful that way. :)
  17. Mtig

Mtig New Member

Since the update I can't open market or gmail and all my contacts are gone anyone else having this issue?
  18. furbearingmammal

1, did you have sync turned on? 2, have you read any of the previous posts? 3, are you willing to try to fix the problems?
  19. Mtig

Mtig New Member

Yes read through the post. More info I'm rooted and running Cyanogen. I thought I was just doing a Cyanogen update next thing I know I'm running 2.2.
  20. Mtig

Mtig New Member

Yes Auto sync is also checked