why 2.2 upgrade?

blanche

Reaction score
Froyo is more complicated, harder to use, has compatability issues with apps I was already using, and drains my battery in 1 day instead of three, was there any benefits at all to forcing my phone to upgrade besides the 2 extra app screens

Twitch043

Reaction score
My phone [Moto Droid] seems to run slower and has some problems with 2.2. Launcher Pro can't default to be my default launcher anymore, it just always switches to the stock launcher no matter what. Often times the... desktop [for lack of a better word] takes a good 4 seconds to load after coming back from an app.

Overall, it's been pretty meh. I liked having Launcher Pro as my default launcher in 2.1, the only thing about 2.2 I like is... uh... I guess the flash thing. Haha.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My phone [Moto Droid] seems to run slower and has some problems with 2.2. Launcher Pro can't default to be my default launcher anymore, it just always switches to the stock launcher no matter what. Often times the... desktop [for lack of a better word] takes a good 4 seconds to load after coming back from an app.

Overall, it's been pretty meh. I liked having Launcher Pro as my default launcher in 2.1, the only thing about 2.2 I like is... uh... I guess the flash thing. Haha.
Did you get the update OTA or did you push it manually? If you pushed it manually, was it the smaller file or the larger file from the circus thread? OTA-pushed updates have had issues with a lot of phones and manually installing the larger update file from the circus thread has fixed 90+% of the problems people have had. If you installed the smaller file, the same applies. If you installed the larger file, try installing it again before you resign yourself to poor performance from your Droid.

The problems the larger file addresses include, but are not limited to;
Lag, performance issues, force closures, random reboots, lost settings refusing to take.

If you are comfortable trying to fix the phone yourself, either search for the file and the install instructions or I will provide both if you can't find them. If you are not, take it to Verizon and complain. They'll likely try to fix it or replace your phone.

Twitch043

Reaction score

Did you get the update OTA or did you push it manually? If you pushed it manually, was it the smaller file or the larger file from the circus thread? OTA-pushed updates have had issues with a lot of phones and manually installing the larger update file from the circus thread has fixed 90+% of the problems people have had. If you installed the smaller file, the same applies. If you installed the larger file, try installing it again before you resign yourself to poor performance from your Droid.

The problems the larger file addresses include, but are not limited to;
Lag, performance issues, force closures, random reboots, lost settings refusing to take.

If you are comfortable trying to fix the phone yourself, either search for the file and the install instructions or I will provide both if you can't find them. If you are not, take it to Verizon and complain. They'll likely try to fix it or replace your phone.

I got my update automatically. Woke up, checked my phone, and it was available, so... sorry, but I'm not too into the terminology yet. OTA?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
2.2 is a great update. The 2.2 rom I've been using has made my Droid faster and more stable than it was when I was running a 2.1 rom.

Twitch043

Reaction score
What you did. OTA = Over The Air.

Ah yeah, i was having trouble with my auto-rotate screen setting holding, too. i turned it off a couple weeks back and after i turned it back on last night it doesnt do it all the time. and never does it on the desktop/home screen.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I happen to be in a handy situation where my other half has the same moto droid as I do. I updated one to 2.2 manually and not the other. The battery appears to run down much faster on 2.2 than 2.1. (Yes, I have "Advanced Task Killer" on both phones and know how to use it).

Let me know if this test is "scientific" enough...
-I set the display brightness at the lowest setting on both
-I fully charged both phones
-I re-booted both phones
-I have "Advanced Task Killer" installed on both and killed everything that showed up on both lists (under its defualt settings)
-no phone calls were recieved by either phone during the test
-After several hours (well, as long as it took to eat lunch and watch Shaun of the Dead and Mystery Men one Saturday) the battery meter on the 2.2 phone was 1/4 way down and the one on the 2.1 was barely down a notch.
-The stats claim the "big pigs" on power were: Phone Idle, Call Standby and Display (on both phones, in that order)

Conclusion: either they changed the way they read the battery and the meter resuts can't be compared reliably or the battery usage is worse on 2.2

At this point I have NOT run both until the phones until they powered off since I have better things to do than watch batteries run down.

So until that is done and timed there is no way for me to say anything but the battery usage APPEARS to be much worse on 2.2. So the guy who mentioned earlier that the battery is 300% worse, I can totally see where that perception comes from. Based on my personal results, I am inclined to agree with him.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
"manually installing the larger update file from the circus thread has fixed 90+% of the problems people have had."

I am more than willing to do this (to see if it helps my battery life)however, can you give us a bit more information... Like, what is the byte count of the "good file" or what is the exact link to it?

I just checked a thread that might be the "circus thread" (depending on which thread you are referencing) and there is only one link that I can find. Can you post a link to the "good file" or at least give me enough information to determine if I have it?

Thanks...Dave

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Pandora or Slacker yet. I hate 2.2 for the simple fact that it ruined my music streaming. The new Stage Fright decoder is awful. I know I'm not the only one with this issue, but this stinks. And yes, Launcher Pro redraws much more than it did in 2.1, which I'm still trying to figure out. I'm now running FRG22D as of yesterday, with no improvement (I didn't expect any, all I get now is Flash in the market). I'm not rooted so I don't have any fix for the music streaming, which I used to use everyday. Bummer.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
"manually installing the larger update file from the circus thread has fixed 90+% of the problems people have had."

I am more than willing to do this (to see if it helps my battery life)however, can you give us a bit more information... Like, what is the byte count of the "good file" or what is the exact link to it?

I just checked a thread that might be the "circus thread" (depending on which thread you are referencing) and there is only one link that I can find. Can you post a link to the "good file" or at least give me enough information to determine if I have it?

Thanks...Dave

The 79 mb file on the Circus thread is the "good file." Unlike the OTA (49mb) this is a complete install instead of just installing patches.

As for the battery, I did let it run until the phone shut off and then recharged fully. The battery has lasted longer since then.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Pandora or Slacker yet. I hate 2.2 for the simple fact that it ruined my music streaming. The new Stage Fright decoder is awful. I know I'm not the only one with this issue, but this stinks. And yes, Launcher Pro redraws much more than it did in 2.1, which I'm still trying to figure out. I'm now running FRG22D as of yesterday, with no improvement (I didn't expect any, all I get now is Flash in the market). I'm not rooted so I don't have any fix for the music streaming, which I used to use everyday. Bummer.
Slacker runs fine for me. Did you get the OTA push or did you update manually? If you got the OTA push, well, as I've been saying... Install the larger update file manually and see if it clears up your issues.

davidbehrns

Reaction score