Froyo 2.2 push bricked my Droid!

rufaro

Reaction score
So, last night, I got a message that my phone wanted to upgrade itself. Kewl, thinks I and away we go...Nope. 12 hours later, all I could get on my phone was the Motorola logo screen, no matter what I tried. I went to a Verizon store. Turns out there's a "known issue" Motorola has issued a patch for, and it works on almost all of the phones that have this problem. That's the good news. The bad news is, there are a "VERY few" phones it doesn't work on, and the only "fix" is a new phone. Further bad news...no Droids in stock, so they'll have to FedEx me one. Good news...they'll do it for delivery tomorrow. Bad news...my entryphone is my Droid so I can't answer the door to FedEx. I am NOT having a good day! Anyway, the point of this post is to let folks know to WATCH OUT for the upgrade--be sure you are near a phone store, and don't do it yourself (take it to the store) if having your phone is critical (like, say, if you have no landline and live alone so would be without communication if it bricks). I guess now would be a good time for me to get Skype up and running...

I've looked all over the place and the only reference to problems with the upgrade are with Helix (I think it was). I don't use Helix, and the posters didn't seem to have bricked phones--they could get into SOMETHING and back out, get rid of the problem program and start over.

The thing that scares me is a bit of a personal problem...sometime in the spring, I went through THREE BlackBerry Tours in not very many than that many weeks. Gave up on the BlackBerries and switched to Droid. The current score for me is Smartphones: 4; Rufaro: 0. I'm getting more than a bit paranoid here...:icon_evil::mad::censored::cus:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cell phone lottery - Some win, some don't. There have been a few bricked phones from the 2.2 update. I mean they are updating millions of these things and I've read about 3, 4, or 5 bricks. Seems to be a pretty good battery average. Well, unless you are the poor hapless lottery loser!! Sorry it all had to happen to you. Good luck with the new phone.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You seem to have something worked out which is the great news. The validity IDK but no reason not to think you and others might have a weird issue like that, but the good news is you didn't brick it. If you can get to the moto logo you could still work from there and put the stock SBF on... but no need to go into all that. Again glad to hear you got something worked out... Don't worry either about the gated community.. Fedex usually gets in without having to call you, or the office lets them in.. Good luck with the replacement. You should post back what you are getting because I have seen a lot of rumors that they may or may not have Droid 1 in stock and you might get something else??

OP
rufaro

rufaro

Reaction score
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today...:icon_eek:

opie273

Reaction score
felt your pain

Mine did the same thing yesterday...I received my "certified like-new" droid today and all my google and other things synced perfectly. The froyo update went through like a champ to. I was told this is happening to an isolated group of customers....Dave

OP
rufaro

rufaro

Reaction score
You seem to have something worked out which is the great news. The validity IDK but no reason not to think you and others might have a weird issue like that, but the good news is you didn't brick it. If you can get to the moto logo you could still work from there and put the stock SBF on... but no need to go into all that. Again glad to hear you got something worked out... Don't worry either about the gated community.. Fedex usually gets in without having to call you, or the office lets them in.. Good luck with the replacement. You should post back what you are getting because I have seen a lot of rumors that they may or may not have Droid 1 in stock and you might get something else??
Nope, can't get anything at all besides the logo. The Verizon tech @ the store plugged it in to their computer and got the computer and the phone talking to each other but could not resolve the problem. It definitely be bricked. The theory is it'll be another of the same model shipped from god-knows-where. If not--I will DEFINITELY post. Except that's another bad news/good news kinda thing--I spent a lot on a case I can use with a holster and and car mount (not very long ago) and don't REALLY want to have to pay out for another set for a different form factor. Newer phone would be nice but I'd rather keep my accessories.

In the meantime, I'm in a very Zen place...no one can get in touch with me and I can't reach out and touch someone either, except with the computer...but I don't IM so it's not as immediate. OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

OP
rufaro

rufaro

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing yesterday...I received my "certified like-new" droid today and all my google and other things synced perfectly. The froyo update went through like a champ to. I was told this is happening to an isolated group of customers....Dave
I will be hopeful...Glad yours works now. Thank you for telling me I'm not alone!!!:)

opie273

Reaction score
Your very welcome. The tech told me the phone was "done." I paused for a second in disbelief, lol. But, good to go now. I loaded my phone back to when I had it yesterday in about 15 minutes or less. I got that the window asking to upgrade and I was nervous to do it, but it worked just fine. The phone looks exactly like my old droid, and new condition. I understood there is more than a few people having the problem. I left a thread on another area here about to another person having the same problems.

briantarbox

Reaction score
update required 5 battery pulls but now better

After update phone ran for one min then locked. Had to pull battery. Repeated 5 times ; it rebooted spontaneously twice. After all that it now seems better which is good but very weird