Why do I need Handcent?

samiusmc

Reaction score
A few days ago, I went from the BB 2.01 based ROM to the 2.1 ROM. I'm now running BB V0.7. Because I upgraded to V.07, I had to use the Nandroid method to install it. As you know, that forced me to do a data wipe. Now that I started fresh after wiping my data, I've been using the native messaging app for my SMS messages with no problems. Since 2.1 features voice input in all data fields, I can dictate my SMS messages with the native app. Since I don't need Handcent's voice input feature, I haven't reinstalled it.

My question is, besides the voice input feature, what was it that attracted us to Handcent in the first place? Right now, I can't think of any reason to revert to it. Can you? What other benefits are there to using Handcent? I need to be convinced to re-install it. Anyone?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use it for popup notifications, as well as splitting up long texts automatically.

rushmr2

Reaction score
Im sure some people on here have much better reasons than I do, but literally the only reason I've always used handcent is because I have the Notification LED set to blue :) It'd be nice if they displayed the picture and facebook info in handcent like the stock app does. Thats pretty much the only thing I miss.

Droidfish

Reaction score
The main reason I use handcent is because the stock app wouldn't allow me to send to multiple numbers and with handcent you canjust enter the letter our two in the recipient field and it auto fills the appropriate contacts. The stock app always made me scroll all the way thru my contacts and would never allow me to send to multiple people which got old fast for me. Although these things may be fixed in 2.1

cisco0910

Reaction score
why do you need handcent? because the stock don't look like this..

handcent2.png

and this

handcent.png

hondaguy520

Reaction score
i like the options for each person for rington, led, split or non split and along with the person above me, the backgrounds for all the screens :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
why do you need handcent? because the stock don't look like this..

handcent2.png

and this

handcent.png

lol how can you even read those threads? i mean i approve of the wallpaper but can't read anything.

r314bd

Reaction score
I have it mainly for the repeat notifications. One vibrate isn't adequate for me

stdesign

Reaction score
"Why do I need Handcent?"

Because I like the extra features already mentioned, plus I like the feel of the app better than the somewhat vanilla feeling of the stock msg app. I love my Droid, but honestly; some of the included apps are really kinda lame. Both Palm and Blackberry have been doing calendar and global (on the device) search capabilities better than this for years now, but that's a bit off topic, so yeah... I like Handcent and like supporting the devs that make it, and I really don't want to root my phone before 2.1 comes out (but maybe after, if that's an option) :) .

Shusuke028

Reaction score
Although I'm more of a ChompSMS man myself, I've used Handcent for a decent amount of time, and I chose it because of the quick reply feature along with the customization of the app (changing backgrounds, text color, etc.). That's what drew me to it

new2tech

Reaction score
I only use it so I can have a signature on my text messages, could not with the messaging app it came with.

R

Romple

I don't know buddy, why do you need handcent? we're not the ones using it on your phone, you are ;-p

I installed it because I like chat bubbles. Really. I'm that lame. And I use the iPhone style. Thanks Apple, you mainstreamed bubbles for me. :i-m_so_happy:

That and the higher level of customization, and the likelihood if Handcent getting updated with "cool things" is better than the stock Droid SMS.