Why do I need Handcent?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by samiusmc, Mar 8, 2010.

1. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

A few days ago, I went from the BB 2.01 based ROM to the 2.1 ROM. I'm now running BB V0.7. Because I upgraded to V.07, I had to use the Nandroid method to install it. As you know, that forced me to do a data wipe. Now that I started fresh after wiping my data, I've been using the native messaging app for my SMS messages with no problems. Since 2.1 features voice input in all data fields, I can dictate my SMS messages with the native app. Since I don't need Handcent's voice input feature, I haven't reinstalled it.

My question is, besides the voice input feature, what was it that attracted us to Handcent in the first place? Right now, I can't think of any reason to revert to it. Can you? What other benefits are there to using Handcent? I need to be convinced to re-install it. Anyone?
  2. disassemble

disassemble New Member

i just did everything you said today. i wanna hear the ansswer too!! lolz:motdroidhoriz:
  3. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I use it for popup notifications, as well as splitting up long texts automatically.
  4. rushmr2

rushmr2 New Member

Im sure some people on here have much better reasons than I do, but literally the only reason I've always used handcent is because I have the Notification LED set to blue :) It'd be nice if they displayed the picture and facebook info in handcent like the stock app does. Thats pretty much the only thing I miss.
  5. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

The main reason I use handcent is because the stock app wouldn't allow me to send to multiple numbers and with handcent you canjust enter the letter our two in the recipient field and it auto fills the appropriate contacts. The stock app always made me scroll all the way thru my contacts and would never allow me to send to multiple people which got old fast for me. Although these things may be fixed in 2.1
  6. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

why do you need handcent? because the stock don't look like this..

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]
  7. hondaguy520

hondaguy520 New Member

i like the options for each person for rington, led, split or non split and along with the person above me, the backgrounds for all the screens :)
  8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

lol how can you even read those threads? i mean i approve of the wallpaper but can't read anything.
  9. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

lol, i look for the picture and/or i can read the name. if i need to read the convo i'd just click on it. :)
  10. r314bd

r314bd New Member

I have it mainly for the repeat notifications. One vibrate isn't adequate for me
  11. stdesign

stdesign New Member

"Why do I need Handcent?"

Because I like the extra features already mentioned, plus I like the feel of the app better than the somewhat vanilla feeling of the stock msg app. I love my Droid, but honestly; some of the included apps are really kinda lame. Both Palm and Blackberry have been doing calendar and global (on the device) search capabilities better than this for years now, but that's a bit off topic, so yeah... I like Handcent and like supporting the devs that make it, and I really don't want to root my phone before 2.1 comes out (but maybe after, if that's an option) :) .
  12. motorcityno11

motorcityno11 New Member

I have it because I can't play MMS vids on stock!
  13. Shusuke028

Shusuke028 New Member

Although I'm more of a ChompSMS man myself, I've used Handcent for a decent amount of time, and I chose it because of the quick reply feature along with the customization of the app (changing backgrounds, text color, etc.). That's what drew me to it
  14. new2tech

new2tech New Member

I only use it so I can have a signature on my text messages, could not with the messaging app it came with.
  15. Romple

Romple New Member

I don't know buddy, why do you need handcent? we're not the ones using it on your phone, you are ;-p

I installed it because I like chat bubbles. Really. I'm that lame. And I use the iPhone style. Thanks Apple, you mainstreamed bubbles for me. :i-m_so_happy:

That and the higher level of customization, and the likelihood if Handcent getting updated with "cool things" is better than the stock Droid SMS.
  16. hashsi99

hashsi99 New Member

I used handcent until i noticed that i wasn't receiving all my mms. After switching back to stock, I receive all of them.
  17. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

Biggest understatement and biggest oversight of Google.
Search tags for this page
anything better than handcent

benefits of handcent

does handcent use data

does handcent use data or text

does using handcent for messaging use your data
what all can you do with handcent
what does handcent app do
why do i need to sign in to use handscent

why use handcent