Whooo hoooo

Westiedog

Reaction score
Ok so finally this coming Christmas will be the time to get my first smart phone The Droid X. So, starting off I bought some screen protectors and the Otterbox Defender case. I've been silently reading and not posting on her for monthes now. But I still have some questions that weren't made clear from reading. Rooting is the Droid equivilent to the Iphone Jailbreak does this mean it also makes the droid apps free like the Iphone? Also just want some basics on what I should know about the phone. I plan on rooting a month or so down the road. I don't want to just get the phone then automatically root it I want to be able to see the clear advantages of rooting first. I am a 18 year old manager at a computer place so I am decently computer savvy so I look foward to seeing the power this phone will contain.

Also I'm happy to join the Droid family! dancedroid

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Rooting doesn't give you free apps. The Android Market is where you'd download most of your popular apps(paid or free). Being computer savvy and android savvy are completely different things.

OP
W

Westiedog

Reaction score
Rooting doesn't give you free apps. The Android Market is where you'd download most of your popular apps(paid or free). Being computer savvy and android savvy are completely different things.

As I know but I will catch on quick. So then you answered my question rooting does not give you the paid apps for free.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Rooting wont really make your phone any faster or make it look any faster or automatically unlock things that werent there. From what i know rooting just allows you to do things to the phone that the phone manufacturer, ie motorola, does not want you to do. Things like putting a different ROM, slapping on a cool looking theme, or removing apps you could not before. And for getting free apps, i mean cmon theyre like what, at most 3-5 bucks for a really good app and most are around a dollhair. Support the dev of the app so he can make his work better. Plus there are ways to get free apps even without rooting but no i wont tell you how because i dont do that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooting wont really make your phone any faster or make it look any faster or automatically unlock things that werent there. From what i know rooting just allows you to do things to the phone that the phone manufacturer, ie motorola, does not want you to do. Things like putting a different ROM, slapping on a cool looking theme, or removing apps you could not before. And for getting free apps, i mean cmon theyre like what, at most 3-5 bucks for a really good app and most are around a dollhair. Support the dev of the app so he can make his work better. Plus there are ways to get free apps even without rooting but no i wont tell you how because i dont do that.

And also because you know discussions of that nature are not allowed in the Droid Forums, right?

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
And also because you know discussions of that nature are not allowed in the Droid Forums, right?[/QUOTE]

Uh...yes? jk but now i do. :)

OP
W

Westiedog

Reaction score

Yeah was just checking that is basically what I thought rooting did. Cool so basically gives me admin controls over the Droid x.

OP
W

Westiedog

Reaction score
Anything else I should be aware of before I recieve said device? Tips or tricks?

cpjr

Reaction score
Paying for your apps instead of stealing them is a good piece of advice in my opinion.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
W

Westiedog

Reaction score
Paying for your apps instead of stealing them is a good piece of advice in my opinion.

I was just asking if it was the same as jailbreaking. I did not once say how do i get apps for free. Just a question don't jump on me.

OP
W

Westiedog

Reaction score
heres one to start
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...4604-new-android-droid-x-users-check-out.html

and to clear up what root is, its like admin privileges on windows. and dont look at it like jailbreaking, either. its different. theres a lot of devs on here too and by actually paying for apps it helps them further their work.

and feel free to ask anything else u want to know :)

I read most if not all of those articles earlier today. They were very helpful.

And also thanks for clearing that up I get it now.

Also thank you. dancedroid