New Droid X user here

dukelion

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a new droid user with a lot of questions and requests for tips. First off, I have had this droid x for about a month and love it.

Now I want to give this phone a new theme and I have seen some really cool ones like the Executive Red but I have no idea what to do. I read the instructions for some of the themes but I am unfamiliar with some of the terminology. Like "rooting" "roms" and the sorts.

Also I don't want to void my warantee with verizon so I need some assurance that none of this will void anything.

Any advice and help would be great. Thanks.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

rfranken

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend rooting if voiding your warentee is the end all be all most important thing for you.

GDP

Reaction score
Rooting voids your warranty and insurance unfortunately

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

sttlnb53

Reaction score
I am also a new Droid X user. From what I understood when I was reading up on the phone though if you create a system backup you should be ok. If you need to take it back in to be serviced or something you could just flash the system backup onto the phone and you will be back to stock settings after you unroot it. I am not sure if you actually break the phone what you would do because then you wouldn't be able to flash it before you send it in for a replacement. Not sure how foolproof all of this is. Correct me if I am wrong.

Here are a couple of links that I found helpful. I actually just got my phone today actually and have already rooted it and created a backup image.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/116371-droid-x-root-guide-post-questions-inside.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/110658-how-root-droid-x-worked-me.html

Like I said I am a new user too but I really needed to root my phone. I am actually tethering the phone to my computer for wireless connection...I just didn't want to pay the fee to buy a program for un-rooted phones. Even just using the phone today though I could see how having a custom rom would really help speed the phone up via the ability to remove factory instally apps.

pyroelite

Reaction score
First tip, get very familiar with the search & second, read all the posts on a topic.

Summary: 1+2= Please don't be lazy

Lotta people on here willing to help but no sense in reposting the same Q&As... Thanks :)

{~DX«Fu$¡¤Π»2.0~}

MrKleen

Reaction score
You can always return your phone to stock with no trace that you rooted if you need to take the phone in. However if you are not interested in learning how to do this it's best to leave things alone.

My son wasn't interested in having me "mess" with his phone until one day he wondered why his phone seemed so laggy compared to mine... :)

VZ4G3NT

Reaction score
How about trying some themes and icon apps from the market first buddy.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App