Smartphone newbie, Droid X must do's...

Teh Wicked

Reaction score
Alright, so my super sweet girlfriend just got me a Droid X. She mailed it to me here in Korea so when I come home next month I will have a phone while traveling.

Anyways, this is my first smartphone. Im completely dumbd to the subject, I know nothing about them. I have turned the phone on and tinkered with it a little. But since I have no service here in S. Korea most of the things this phone is capable of doing will not work.

So what are some things I should do to this phone? I read alot about rooting, but its a foreign language to me and I have no clue exactly what one is doing.

I already got on Amazon and ordered me an Otterbox defender case for it and a screen protector to keep it in great shape.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Really without service there isn't much to do with the phone, even if you DID root it.

You could start playing with installing roms I guess - I always find that fun.

Rooting the droid x is pretty simple, are you familiar with a command line? Any linux experience?

OP
T

Teh Wicked

Reaction score
I will be back in the USA in 2 weeks, and I have 2 days of traveling to do with lots of lay overs so I will be spending plenty of time on my phone.

No, im not familiar with any of that stuff you mentioned.

maderschramm

Reaction score
I will be back in the USA in 2 weeks, and I have 2 days of traveling to do with lots of lay overs so I will be spending plenty of time on my phone.

No, im not familiar with any of that stuff you mentioned.

First Search Result is a one click root app for your phone. This will get you rooted. Once you've rooted your phone, make a backup with Koush's Bootstrap

I'll write a tut up on how to make a backup in a moment

OP
T

Teh Wicked

Reaction score
Awesome, im going to subscribe to this thread so I know exactly what to do...

I understand what a theme is just because I have played with them before on the computer. But im still learning about the ROM's you guys refer too all the time...

maderschramm

Reaction score
Awesome, im going to subscribe to this thread so I know exactly what to do...

I understand what a theme is just because I have played with them before on the computer. But im still learning about the ROM's you guys refer too all the time...

There aren't any real roms for the droid x because of the locked bootloader, they're basically glorified themes at this point. Real roms have kernel mods and stuff.

Also 'rom' is lingo for custom firmware pretty much, kind of like a hacked psp

vettesfan

Reaction score
Z4root is no longer available in the market. Is there any other method of getting it? I couldn't find the apk file on any trustworthy sites, our is there another novice friendly way of rooting?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

qqqqqqqman

Reaction score
Aren't you guys giving him instructions to do things to his phone that he has no clue how to do......and which will void his warranty on a phone that he hasn't even been able to use yet? :confused:

Or, to the OP....why the hurry? :confused:

Just wondering.....

OP
T

Teh Wicked

Reaction score
No hurry...I read alot about peoples Droid getting very clogged and being very slow operational wise and I want to avoid it.