Who carries their Droid naked? How has it held up (scratches)

Reaction score
I've had mine since about 4 days after launch and I have been carrying it naked since I got it. I don't carry it in my pocket but in a belt pouch (designed for an iPod but it fits perfectly and it has velcro instead of a magnet so it's perfect). I am pretty careful with it but the other day while I was walking in NYC coming out of the Madison Square Garden, I tripped and fell and dropped it on concrete in sub freezing weather. Not a SCRATCH. You couldn't find a paint chip, and ding or anything and it even worked fine and the battery cover didn't fly off. I was impressed. I tried a couple of screen protectors but hated the way they felt. The glass is a much smoother surface and since seeing the gorilla glass demo, I'm fairly confident it will hold up.

Here's a neat video from CES about Gorilla Glass http://gizmodo.com/5443146/gorilla-glass-hands-on-unbreakable

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Not trying to be an ass, but that welfare mentality is one of the reasons our country is in the shape it is in.

Not trying to be an ass but Ive heard countless stories about ppl that pay insurance companies premiums for years and the first time they need to file an actual claim they are denied and dropped from the insurance. This happened to my parents over some storm damage to one of their homes. I dont feel too bad for insurance companies. They are pretty much all con artists.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I carry mine naked, no screen protector. As far as a case goes, I have an old leather pouch case from my Treo 650 that fits the Droid rather nicely. No scracthes, or anything else on the screen.

The girlfriend wants me to get a case, or a protective cover on the phone, because she's a practical sort, and thinks expensive phones like mine need to be protected. She bought a hard shell case for her Pantech smart phone shortly after she got it.

Frankly, carrying it around in my pocket is asking for trouble, I have dropped my phone 3 times already, mostly because I wasn't paying attention, and the girlfriend figures that the next drop might be "the one".

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
no case or holster here.. naked is the only way for me... i cant stand cases and holsters..

scratch free so far.. but only had it for a short time.. my prev phone was scratch free.. just be careful

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I carry it naked...the screen is perfect, but I have 3 chips around it from dropping the phone twice. Once while drunk, lol. But oh well, that's what insurance is for right? If it gets too bad, smash the screen in and get a new one.

That is a crappy mentality. You realize that is essentially stealing, right?

Even if you have insurance, the replacement phone costs real money.

Not trying to be an ass, but that welfare mentality is one of the reasons our country is in the shape it is in.

completely agree with this. this is partially why we even have welfare..

nekkid since 11/6/09

AquaDan88

Reaction score
I carry mine nakie because I use both the multimedia dock to charge on my desktop and the car dock when I'm driving (I drive all day for work). My only issue is that I've dropped it once and gotten a few dings in it, but I've been very surprised at how well it's held up. Considering I've dropped it about 4 feet onto a cement floor. :p. I'm also a pocket guy, and my only other complaint is that dust and lint from my pocket get into the slide out keyboard (which I rarely use). Other than that. Pretty damn durable phone.

roadrash

Reaction score
I found with my first iPod that the case did a great job...kept it looking good, until I took the case off and found all the damage caused by dust getting trapped underneath and putting thousands of fine scratches in the finish. I was thinking that perhaps I'll just wait till the Droid is looking shabby in a year or so and then slap a case on it so that it looks good again....

The only thing that's making me second guess that strategy is the fact that the Moto docks (which I like better than the Seidio docks appearance) don't handle a cased phone...

I have a love/hate relatoinship with choices sometimes... :)

rocketman45

Reaction score
Naked now for several weeks without problems. Still love how sleek it is without a case of any kind. I am using the Ghost Armor screen protector which is easy to apply, has a great feel, does not affect sensitivity, and is amazing as far as resisting fingerprints.

DRILLINDK

Reaction score
I've had the droid for about a month and a half now with no protection. I'm pretty hard on my phones and have dropped my phone on the cement several times. No screen scratches, a few dings on the surface, but its just a phone. Never understood why people buy all that crap for their phones....after all, its just a phone. Not like its a car or house, etc. I compare a phone to a pair of shoes...do you buy a case and lace protector for them!???

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can somebody post a picture of a scratched Droid screen? I deny its existence. My cases are designed by some of the top names. You should see the workmanship they're putting into jeans pockets these days.
hrm..... I have had my phone in this case
motorola_droid_case_rubberized_swivel_holster.png

I have not pocketed the phone once in the 5 days I have had it, I have not dropped it, yet today when cleaning the screen at work I noticed a VERY FINE SMALL scratch in the bottom right hand corner near the search (magnify) icon :( im sure bummed and pissed because I have taken better care of this phone than any other phone I have had.

ok so I just tried to take a picture of my scratch and it was nearly impossible to see on camera. (Nikon D80) I am a shutter bug as a hobbyist so maybe my lighting in my house at night is bad, but I can assure you its there my fingernail can feel it

-=Jason=-

Sodner

Reaction score
Naked with a Zagg screen protector since day one. With a little buffing and cleaning I'm sure it pass as brand new. I just carry mine in my pants pocket. I did buy a plastic snap on case but did not like it and never used it.

xylene303

Reaction score
Naked, rugged, and raw. I always keep mine in my pocket when i'm not working. For work i use a company called "ripoffs"... hand made in the usa. The holster completely covers the phone. perfect for working in construction.

i dropped her a couple of times in my apartment, though i have wall to wall carpet. no damage at all so far.

BIG TEX

Reaction score
I carry my phone around with no protection. I've only had it for a month and it has no scratches yet. I put this phone through a lot too. I off road a lot at work so my phone is constantly flying across the truck. I also toss it in my pocket with keys and loose change. I guess it ain't as delicate as some people think.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I carry my phone around with no protection. I've only had it for a month and it has no scratches yet. I put this phone through a lot too. I off road a lot at work so my phone is constantly flying across the truck. I also toss it in my pocket with keys and loose change. I guess it ain't as delicate as some people think.
I keep hearing from people who rock the phone nekked and put keys in the pocket etc... yet I was super anal and have had the phone for 5 days and I have NO IDEA how I got a scratch in my screen.... im pissed.

-=Jason=-

ggpike

Reaction score
Mine was fine until last week when it went flying out of my coat pocket and skidded across the cement. Now there is raw, scraped, dented metal all around the screen, scratches on the screen and two big cracks. One in the upper right, about an inch long, and one on the middle right hand side about half an inch across. it's still usable, but it looks aweful. I'll be taking it back to see if I can get a referb and I will be putting a case on it this time. I just hope the referb is as goood as the Droid I have now which has given me 0 problems.