Seidio Innocase Rugged review

Daali

Reaction score
Thanks for the review!. I was on the fence, waiting for the otterbox to materialize. My order is in for the rugged!

Daali

Reaction score
Thanks for the review!. I was on the fence, waiting for the otterbox to materialize. My order is in for the rugged!

2 days into my droid x life with the rugged. It is nicer and a better feel than I expected. I did not use the screen protectors that came with it, as I have a perfect one on now(verizon).

We've always bought otterbox cases for our phones, unfortunately, that was not an option this time. I am very happy with the Seido rugged!

LordShadowz

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to say thank you for such an awesome and thorough review. I've always used Seidio's accessories even though I find them to be expensive, they've always done quality work.

Because of this review I just ordered the rugged combo and ordered the slim extended battery. I was lucky I have a 10% off coupon and also there is free shipping until October 1st.

I was waiting for the 2800 MAH extended battery but unfortuntaly they told me they did not plan to make a full covering case that would work with it, that all it would do is fit into the rugged holster. Thats not a good option for me since I need the full protection.

Im hoping to locate a portable, battery operated, charger that will work with my droid x for emergency charges since sometimes Im not near an outlet. If anyone knows of a working charger please share the info !

Thanks again for the review !

Billy
Lordshadowz

08CivicSiGuy

Reaction score
Got my Rugged add-on today, as I already had the Innocase, and so far so good. Definitely like the added ruggedness because I work in a warehouse and am an out-doors type person and there's no telling what i'll put my phone through in a day. The build of the case is excellent, fit is excellent, quality is nice. Buttons will take getting used to but I don't mind it, I bought the case for protection, after all!

I do have complaints though..

First complaint is that the "flap" that covers the charging and hdmi ports seems VERY susceptible to ripping. I opened it today to charge my phone for the first time with the case and you can see the rubber change colors from the stress...probably won't take long to rip.

Second is that the port covers are very difficult to open, though it is manageable with a few tries.

Third, and last, is that the rubber used for the Rugged case attracts dirt and dust like crazy! And also in the sunlight it gives off a sort of purple hue, not black.

With those things said, I do love the case and I will be leaving it on the phone. It definitely feels like it will do the job of protecting my investment :)

evetro76

Reaction score
Amazon Seidio Active X case

I just got a Siedio Active X case off of Amazon. This thing on the outside looks just like a rugged except it is not (which is OK with me). I looked all over for this on the Siedio website, and could never find it. It's not cheaply made and fits like a Siedio, so regardless I like it.

It is only two pieces, a thick silicone cover (appx 2.5 mm) and then a hard back cover that covers the back and the corner (that's it). It does not go over another case. Also there are no snap on covers for the camera and ports (but the volume and camera buttons are covered, but accesible).

I must say that I do like it, it fits very tight (but yet very easy to get on and off). It seems very durable like it would handle a drop (although I've never owned a rugged case, just innocases so I have no side by side comparison on the durability).

As of the bulk it is noy too bad (for me at least), I assume that it is proably in the middle between the thicknes of a surface and a full rugged (but again, I have no experience with the rugged).

So if you want some protection, but less bulk. This may be an option for you.

My only complaint is that despite the picture, it does not come with a holster. And my current dilema is to find a holster that would fit it (I am guessing the rugged would be too big, maybe the active will fit OK). IOf anyone has any experience with this case ordered from Amazon, please let me know.

Here is the link if anyone is curious (goes for $25): Amazon.com: Seidio Innocase Active X Case for Motorola Droid X (Black): Cell Phones & Service

Thanks.

Eric

evetro76

Reaction score
Active X case

I just went to Amazon to write a review and they removed the picture with the holster (I guess they got some complaints).

Also, I just got an email from Siedio customer service, and it turns out the active X is one of theirs and will work with the active holster:
"The Innocase Active X, is the same as the Innocase Active
it is just designed differently. Therefore, our Innocase Active Holster is
compatible with the Innocase Active X from Amazon. At the moment, we are still
developing those product lines."

So based on this, I am very happy with this product! The only drawack is that you can only get the case at Amazon and the holster at Siedio (active holster is not available on Amazon).

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
Ive had my rugged for 3 days and i really like it.My only complaint is the lip arorond the screen is a little big. It is a little difficult to get to my pull down menue at the top. One thing i love is the add on plastic piece in the back...I have been lookin for an arm band for the gym...I took the one from my incredible and cut it down and it fits under that piece and holds in place. all in all this is a great case and i no longer have to wait for outer box!!!

NYDroid

Reaction score
I have the case since last Thursday. So it hasn't been a week yet. Here's my thoughts on it.

The case and the whole rugged combo is excellent and well suited for my job and lifestyle. I work in Underground constructions, going in and out of manholes under the weather and debris. The case handles it like a champ!

But I have one gripe. The holster sucks. It sucks because it's already broken. The weak point on that holster, at least for me, is that big plastic tab on top of the holster that keeps the phone down. First off, that plastic piece is thin (I'm assuming it's thin so it can be flexible), and it snapped off after it got caught on something in the field. Because it's a plastic piece that snapped off, and it's a moving part, it can't be glued back on and now the holster is junked.

Now, I carry the phone in the pocket and at least it fits.

seidioseidio

Reaction score
I have the case since last Thursday. So it hasn't been a week yet. Here's my thoughts on it.

The case and the whole rugged combo is excellent and well suited for my job and lifestyle. I work in Underground constructions, going in and out of manholes under the weather and debris. The case handles it like a champ!

But I have one gripe. The holster sucks. It sucks because it's already broken. The weak point on that holster, at least for me, is that big plastic tab on top of the holster that keeps the phone down. First off, that plastic piece is thin (I'm assuming it's thin so it can be flexible), and it snapped off after it got caught on something in the field. Because it's a plastic piece that snapped off, and it's a moving part, it can't be glued back on and now the holster is junked.

Now, I carry the phone in the pocket and at least it fits.

I apologize about the holster! We can replace that for you. Please PM me your order number and I can take care of this for you!

seidioseidio

Reaction score
I just got a Siedio Active X case off of Amazon. This thing on the outside looks just like a rugged except it is not (which is OK with me). I looked all over for this on the Siedio website, and could never find it. It's not cheaply made and fits like a Siedio, so regardless I like it.

It is only two pieces, a thick silicone cover (appx 2.5 mm) and then a hard back cover that covers the back and the corner (that's it). It does not go over another case. Also there are no snap on covers for the camera and ports (but the volume and camera buttons are covered, but accesible).

I must say that I do like it, it fits very tight (but yet very easy to get on and off). It seems very durable like it would handle a drop (although I've never owned a rugged case, just innocases so I have no side by side comparison on the durability).

As of the bulk it is noy too bad (for me at least), I assume that it is proably in the middle between the thicknes of a surface and a full rugged (but again, I have no experience with the rugged).

So if you want some protection, but less bulk. This may be an option for you.

My only complaint is that despite the picture, it does not come with a holster. And my current dilema is to find a holster that would fit it (I am guessing the rugged would be too big, maybe the active will fit OK). IOf anyone has any experience with this case ordered from Amazon, please let me know.

Here is the link if anyone is curious (goes for $25): Amazon.com: Seidio Innocase Active X Case for Motorola Droid X (Black): Cell Phones & Service

Thanks.

Eric

We do apologize for our mistake! Please send an e-mail to [email protected] with a jpeg/pdf of your order confirmation and we can take care of this for you!

hurld

Reaction score
The silicon case part of my rugged ripped, I contacted Seidio and they want me to send it back to them for replacement- I pay shipping, and 5-7 days to process.what do I do in the mean time for a case, I work construction?! I am not happy considering I paid $ 50 for this case, other companies have you send a picture of your broken case & send out a new one with a postage paid return envelope. Guess I should have waited for the Otterbox! If wouldn't recommend Seidio to anyone, when I pay a premium price for something I expect premium service & warranty if I have problems, best part is the case is barely a month old.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
The silicon case part of my rugged ripped, I contacted Seidio and they want me to send it back to them for replacement- I pay shipping, and 5-7 days to process.what do I do in the mean time for a case, I work construction?! I am not happy considering I paid $ 50 for this case, other companies have you send a picture of your broken case & send out a new one with a postage paid return envelope. Guess I should have waited for the Otterbox! If wouldn't recommend Seidio to anyone, when I pay a premium price for something I expect premium service & warranty if I have problems, best part is the case is barely a month old.

So where did it rip and how? I have only heard of one other person's Rugged having a problem. Apparently, the port cover ripped off but the way this person was bashing Seidio, it really sounded like they worked for Otterbox! Oh, and it was on the OB Facebook discussion where people are openly voicing their decisions to jump ship and go with Seidio so I was a little skeptical of that person's claims. It was weird. Just saying.

Anyway, I am curious because I can't imagine this case just tearing, even at the port or jack covers. I just don't get it. I could see the camera flap getting torn off if you let it hang freely and maybe quickly pulled it out of your pocket or it got caught on something but everything else seems solid to me.

I bet Seidio will help you out if it's a defective case.

So let us know what happened.

hurld

Reaction score
It tore under the one claw foot of the plastic outer skelton from removing the case, which is no big deal as it's covered by the plastic claw foot, but then it tore by the charging port, its never been snagged or anything, just opened and closed for daily charging. They said they would replace it, but I pay for shipping back to them, and wait 5-7 days for processing, then they ship it back.Really no fault to them, I just don't like their warranty rules for a premium case. I had a similar problem with a case for my old blackberry with another company and they had me take pictures of it sent to them, they sent a new case with a return postage paid envelope that I sent the old case back in. Guess the main thing is I don't want to be without a case while I'm waiting for the new one, as murphies law says this is when I will drop & break my phone. No fault to Seidio I guess I just expected more from a $ 50 case, both case & warranty wise.

Pudge

Reaction score
Good write up. I'm looking forward to receiving my case for the Droid X soon.

I was lucky enough to win one from a give-a-way.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
@ hurld, man, that sucks! A $50 "rugged" case should not be ripping anywhere. I have not been taking my case off as I thought I would, but now, when I do, I'll be extra careful. I still don't see any wear and tear at the port cover on mine. Hopefully that lasts for me.

I think Seidio should definitely send you out a new case contingent upon you sending back the defective one. Some places will send out replacements for purchased items if you "buy" a new one and then you are refunded when they receive the defective product. That way, you wouldn't have to go without protection at all. It sounds to me like you have a defective product and all costs should be covered by the manufacturer IMO.

Hope it works out for you.