Whats this port?

Threepio

Reaction score
On the backside underneath the back plate, below the battery there is a small rubber plug. The plug pops out revealing some sort of circular port attached to the motherboard of the HTC incredible.

What is this port for? I am very curious. Heres a pic of where to find the plug.

4544394334_312351a152.jpg

Gump47371

Reaction score
I'm guessing an external antenna. Most phones have these on the back somewhere. Don't have my Incredible yet (just ordered it today, how will I survive?!?) but that would be my guess.

OP
Threepio

Threepio

Reaction score
Bump anyone else got some thoughts. i agree with Gump, i think its a port for an external antenna. Id like to know how to utilize it though, and maybe fashion some sort of extra antenna that could be covered below the backplate.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm guessing an external antenna. Most phones have these on the back somewhere. Don't have my Incredible yet (just ordered it today, how will I survive?!?) but that would be my guess.

Droid has the same and IIRC it's a diagnostic port of some type.

OP
Threepio

Threepio

Reaction score
I called HTC and they told me its a port for an external antenna. Its technical term is an FME port.

INTREPID-NY

Reaction score
If it's an external antenna port, the location makes it useless (unless you drill a hole in the cover).

cantare

Reaction score
Drilling a hole seems like a minimal concession given how flimsy the cover is. You could always get a spare or fit a plug to it. The primary reason I can think of for an antenna hookup would be if you're using the phone as a dedicated 3g modem in some rural area... in which case you could probably just get by leaving the cover off.

I'm happy to learn that the Incredible has this FME port, since the above basically describes my parents' situation: rural home, no dsl or cable infrastructure, decent VZW 3g signal in the area, but they've got lots of trees. They already tried satellite internet, and it was awful. A tall antenna/amplifier + 3g phone + data plan might finally get them out of the dial-up dark ages.

chrisngrod

Reaction score
Well this is a major bummer considering that I was debating between the HTC Incredible and waiting for the newer Motorola Droid.

I called Wilson Electronics up to find out more information about using a direct connect amplifier which I already had for my USB Internet dongle (service discontinued). They said they haven't had any luck directly connecting to these FME ports....

Anyone have experience in using "Direct Connection Dual-Band Amplifier (811201)" and any Droid?

Thanks in advance.

tiohero

Reaction score
Links to antennas that will work with the Droid Incredible

The connector on the back of the phone is an "FME" style connector.

Here's a link that explains all the various cell phone antenna connectors:

Connectors used in the cellular and PCS Industry

Here's a few links to places to get these antenna's.... I use one when I go hiking which allows me to send and receive texts when I get towards the tops of mountains:

Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

Buy.com - Wilson Magnet Mount Cellular Antenna

http://store.getreception.com/wilson-301113-cellular-antenna-mini-magnet-mount-.html

wpsantennas.com - The ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna (FR0803R30-FME) Boosts Your Cell Signal and Improves Your Wireless Performance

Wilson 301146 Cell Phone Cradle with Built-in Antenna (FME) (301146) - Wilson Electronics - 301146 -

I hope this helps!

chrisngrod

Reaction score
The problem is that not every FME port means that you can use an external antenna or external antenna plus amp.

I have called Wilson Electronics and they say they haven't had any luck with Droid devices.

In your experience above was this with a Droid or another phone?

Thanks...

motorbikematt

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is not an FME connector.

The connector on the back of the phone is an "FME" style connector.

Here's a link that explains all the various cell phone antenna connectors:

Connectors used in the cellular and PCS Industry

Here's a few links to places to get these antenna's.... I use one when I go hiking which allows me to send and receive texts when I get towards the tops of mountains:

Buy.com - Wilson Magnet Mount Cellular Antenna

Wilson Mini Magnet Mount Cellular Antenna - FME Female (301113)

wpsantennas.com - The ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna (FR0803R30-FME) Boosts Your Cell Signal and Improves Your Wireless Performance

Wilson 301146 Cell Phone Cradle with Built-in Antenna (FME) (301146) - Wilson Electronics - 301146 -

I hope this helps!

I am quite certain that this is NOT an FME connector. I have an FME adapter and it does not fit.

Moreover, a close examination of the port clearly shows that it is not compatible with any of the images you've linked to in the stories above.

Have you DEMONSTRATED that this is an FME port, or is this just a good guess?? There are actually two of these ports in the Droid:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/HKe5iyKbbYaKUXIc.huge

These same ports are in the back, inside of the Nexus One and are definitely associated with the antenna circuits.

You can see two here, top right and bottom mid-left of the mainboards on the left side of my twitpic:
http://twitpic.com/2gxlg2

and here in a much better image provided by iFixit
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/iCEdqlUbGG4ZZBv2.huge

My guess is that these are probe taps for diagnostics and NOT attachment points for connectors.

motorbikematt

Reaction score
I have verified that this is NOT an FME port, but the Hirose MS-156 Subminiature Coaxial Switch. From the SPEC sheet:

Developed for inspection of high frequency
circuits used in portable terminals.Verification of
the circuit performance is accomplished by simply
inserting the external plug in the board mounted
receptacle.This action re-directs the circuit from
normal condition to the plug side. Removing the
plug restores circuit to its normal condition.
Read more in the attached SpecSheet or straight from the manufacturer

Product List

Attachments

• e35801678.pdf
    611.9 KB · Views: 382

tiohero

Reaction score
motorbikematt,

You are right. I have used the Wilson antenna that I have in order to connect up to one of my old phones. I tried to plug it into my Droid Incredible, but it does not fit. You are correct that the connector in the back of the Droid Incredible phone IS NOT an FME connector. I have been trying to search everywhere for this fricken adapter, and (thanks to your research in determining it is a Hirose MS-156 port), I think I have found the adapter which we are looking for!

This is the adapter for the MS-156 to SMA:

HRS (HIROSE)|MS-156-HRMJ-2|RF/Coaxial Adapter | Newark.com

I verified this is the correct adapter found on the Hirose data sheet here:

http://www.hirose.co.jp/cataloge_hp/e35802068.pdf

And again, here is my Wilson antenna with the FME female port on the end:

Therefore, the only other thing I need is an adapter to go from an FME male to SMA male, found here:

Proxicast Online Ordering - Series Adapter: FME Male to SMA Male

It's cost me quite a bit, but I just ordered these parts. I'm currently waiting on them to arrive, so I will have more updates to come.

motorbikematt

Reaction score
Very cool! I had placed an order for this part:

Digi-Key Part Search

but your posting has reminded me that it hasn't come in yet. Please do update this thread once the parts you've ordered have arrived.

What apps are you using to determine signal strength improvement?

tiohero

Reaction score
Ok, so I put together all the parts to my antenna and it SEEMS to improve the signal strength. The only problem is that I can't confirm the increase in signal strength simply because I can't find an application that works with the recent droid updates. Until the applications update to be compatible with the new droid software, I will just have to wait.

The other thing that sucks is that I have to hold the antenna in the back of the phone while making phone calls since the connector does not click or hold itself in place. However, the adapter does fit in the little plug in the back of the phone. I can see that the metal pieces of the antenna adapter make contact quite nicely.

More updates to come...