Galaxy Nexus Not Charging

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I recently purchased a Galaxy Nexus off of ebay for cheap. The seller only listed that it had a charging issue, and I thought the charging port needed to be replaced. Well, after replacing the port, the battery still wouldn't charge. So I replaced the battery. Phone STILL WON'T CHARGE. When plugged in, the phone shows the charging battery icon, but will say "84%, Not Charging." I also noticed the battery discharges very quickly. I attached a screen shot to help diagnose the issue. Any ideas what's wrong?

Screenshot_2012-12-14-13-55-16.png

Reaction score
I had the EXACT same problem with my GNex back in June. I never found a solution online but luckily Verizon replaced my phone with no hassle and my replacement has been trouble free.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Well you're lucky you had it under warranty. Lol I'm just going to buy another broken phone and rip the motherboard out for this one. It would be a waste NOT to fix it, it's in near perfect condition.

mattjenn

Reaction score
You can always get external battery charger since you now have 2 batteries they are cheap off Amazon

ntrddragn

Reaction score
My brother and I have the same issue. It turns out the USB cable that came with the nexus were mess up. I found some old USB one and it began to charge again. Did u try a different cable? Also like someone else mention u can get an external charger with an additional battery.

skennelly

Reaction score
Can you connect it to a pc okay? If not, then I would say it is a port issue. I would try a different cable and see if that does work. Otherwise, the external charger is your best option. My brother in law had to do that with his evo.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Reaction score
To the other posters, if he has the same problem I had then no plugs other than straight to my PC would work. So it was a very weird problem. But to Stephan, the phone wasn't available to Verizon users until January when it came out. You should also be under warranty til the end of this month at the earliest no?

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
Since he got it off eBay I dunno if Verizon will honor the warranty. They likely would, but who knows. I had this same problem, but it was with my old DX. Couldn't find a fix for it aside from the occasional getting lucky and it charging .

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I'm pretty sure it's a board-level issue. It discharges both batteries very fast. I have tried multiple USB cables, and I've also tried plugging it into my Windows computer. I get a weird tone at first, like three quick notes, then the disconnect tone. As I stated earlier, I did already swap out the port for a new one, and it still has the same issues. I just won another donor phone on ebay for $32 so once I get it and swap the board, I'll let you guys know what the issue is.

Also, I doubt Verizon will honor the warranty for this phone. It was purchased on ebay and it was refurbished by Asurion. They probably are the ones who fubar'd the board.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Got the donor Galaxy Nexus in today. Swapped the motherboards, and it did the trick. Must be a short in the other motherboard. Anyway, my GNex is at 18% and charging!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
How long does the OEM battery typically last?

There's no definitive answer because it depends on usage. It won't last terribly long though. I get about 2 hours screen on over 12 hours on 4G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2