What to expect from the pending Droid 2.2 update on 7/13?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by thinkmega, Jul 2, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Yes, I am excited. I have been tempting to root my droid, and haven't done it due to the concerns of how well I can backup/restore the existing OS, plus the unanswered question on re-activation on the rooted Droid.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the 2.2. It would be great if it is rolling out on the 13th, merely 10 days away. I'd like to poll the experts here that what features would be included, what would be the difference from the leaked builds. Please share your insights anyway you want.

Thanks!

J.
  2. KidCuda

KidCuda New Member

I am no expert, but I wouldn't expect much different from the latest leaked build other than not being able to get away with tethering without Verizon noticing.

I just hope that the home screen speed is actually improved, because LancherPro is just embarrassing Google right now...

And I hope that you are giving that July 13th date a 2 week buffer, just basing this on the 2.1 rollout/ other 2.1 rollouts with other carriers.
  3. bishoy

bishoy New Member

Well, when i heard about the google navigation on the droid, I figured Verizon would not like that and would not let us get away with using a turn by turn navigation without paying that $10/ month so that Google didn't compete with verizon's own VZ Navigator. But, I was wrong, and lo and behold, we are navigating for free. I guess we will just find out when the time comes if Verizon will let us tether for free or not.

It will be interesting to see how Verizon reacts to that, especially after AT&T's move last month regarding the data plans.
  4. KidCuda

KidCuda New Member

Yeah, but it's all but confirmed (maybe already) that Verizon is going to be moving to tiered data plans as well. And people with the latest Droid 2.2 leak supposedly get sent to a Verizon landing page to set up a data plan when they attempt to use the tethering feature.

If the Droid X, and soon the Droid Incredible are to have tethering plans, no reason the Droid 1 would not.
  5. Vladiator

Vladiator New Member

WiFi tethering is working just fine for me (I never use it, but test it to make sure it works whenever I switch ROMs). I would think that the ROM developers would find a way around the Verizon landing page.
  6. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

It seems getting rooted is the only way to get tethering without having to pay! That is a nice add-on to me, not a must.

What I really want, is as simple as having a drop down list in Gmail so we can choose which gmail account we'd like to use when composing messages. This is only meaningful when you have multiple gmail accounts.

Hope VZ people are reading this forum so they know what they are heading to ....
  7. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Where was the 7/13 date discussed?
  8. xliderider

xliderider New Member

What do you mean about backup/restore and activation? If anything, you are able to backup/restore easier on a rooted phone. Also, activation is no problem as well.
  9. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

Because I am not sure if I understand the entire process correctly, I want to be able to backup the original (current) OS so I can restore it if things don't go well.

In addition to that, I dont know if the rooted phone can be activated again if needed.
  10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

11. driftsucky

driftsucky New Member

I don't think 2.2 will happen until August. And we'll have flash. That's the whole reason I rooted my phone in the first place. Once I found out there was no flash, I put it back to stock and dl'd 2.1.1. Now, it's just a waiting game to see if we get flash (fo reelz) in 2.2. If not, I'm rootin' it again.
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

This is the second post I believe I've seen from you concerning Flash. Flash is already available and it is NOT part of the 2.2 update. You have to go get it.

Adobe Labs - Downloads: Flash Player 10 Prereleases

It does not work with 2.1.
  13. droidilac

droidilac New Member

I have flash. I had to download it and install it but I have flash. As far as activation of a rooted phone there is always the flash back to bone stock option as in straight out of the box using RSD lite. Lol
  14. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

What will 2.2 come with? A massive speed increase for your phone.
  15. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Absolutely. I've done it myself. Rooting would be a bit pointless if you couldn't activate.
  16. brucin

brucin Member

Will 2.2 fix the blue tooth voice dialing issue?
  17. KidCuda

KidCuda New Member

More like add the functionality, but still not as full featured as I would like.