Rooted Droid 2.2 Very unstable

nmstoute

Reaction score
I recently rooted my droid which was running 2.2 and ever since that it has been acting very unstable. I am semi-new to this so I am seeking assistance from the experts. Some of the symptoms I am seeing is that when I go into the program astro file manager the phone will freeze and reboot. This also happens when I am using swype but that is more sporadic. On occassion when I try to enter the android market - the market screen will flash and then return back to the home screen. When opening the browser the same thing will happen.

I imagine that I am missing a lot of information that would be helpful to diagnos this - so if that is the case let me know and I can get whatever info is needed.

I really appreciate any help on this issue.

Merry Christmas!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently rooted my droid which was running 2.2 and ever since that it has been acting very unstable. I am semi-new to this so I am seeking assistance from the experts. Some of the symptoms I am seeing is that when I go into the program astro file manager the phone will freeze and reboot. This also happens when I am using swype but that is more sporadic. On occassion when I try to enter the android market - the market screen will flash and then return back to the home screen. When opening the browser the same thing will happen.

I imagine that I am missing a lot of information that would be helpful to diagnos this - so if that is the case let me know and I can get whatever info is needed.

I really appreciate any help on this issue.

Merry Christmas!

I ran 2.2 on my D1 and it worked great. Probably you have an app that's not placing nice. So if you have any task killers, or antivirus get rid of those. Instead of Astro try Linda File Manager.

If you don't have a task killer or antivirus on your Droid then I would suggest you do a Factory Data Reset out of your privacy section. That should clear everything up. It will remove all your data, SD card will be fine, and apps should start downloading as soon as you sign in. If they don't your paid apps will still be in your download section of the Market.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you too.

musicman

Reaction score
Have you tried unrooting to see if the symptoms go away? Have you installed any roms or used any root only apps? Usually just rooting the phone won't cause the problems. Its what you do after rooting.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the quick responses - I do not have any task killers or anti-virus apps running. I have only downloaded one app that is for rooted phones and have not run it yet because it is an overclocking app and since I was having problems I decided to wait on that.

I have not unrooted to see if symptoms stop. What is the best way to unroot the phone?

Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you used z4root then use z4root to unroot. If the symptoms go away then you had a bad root job -- they happen on phones as well as at hair salons. Try rerooting and see if the problem comes back. If so there's another option to root your phone.

By the way:

:welcome: to the forum!

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
Back to stock

I made it back to the stock 2.2 - thank god - after too much headache and looping and random resets finally all seems to be working like factory again.

I did not use z4root the first time around, should I do that this time? I have downloaded the .apk but as of now it sits on my desktop until I build the nerve to try it.

So just wondering if z4root is safe and reliable.

Thanks again!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I made it back to the stock 2.2 - thank god - after too much headache and looping and random resets finally all seems to be working like factory again.

I did not use z4root the first time around, should I do that this time? I have downloaded the .apk but as of now it sits on my desktop until I build the nerve to try it.

So just wondering if z4root is safe and reliable.

Thanks again!
I think it works well, just make sure you select the permanent option. It doesn't mean you can't unroot, it's just that I don't know what that "temporary" option is about and I think it's causing issues with some Droids.

musicman

Reaction score
Z4root is awesome. Note: I had to do it twice for it to stick so if it doesnt work the first time try again.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
Rooted with Z4Root

I ran z4root 1.3.0, had to do it twice just like hookbill said, and it appears to be working smoothly. I will post again once I have had a chance to test it a little bit.

I really appreciate all the help. I guess people werent lying when they said that the whole community was a great resource for android users!

Thanks again!

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
Back to the drawing board

After running the rooted version for part of the day I got back in the same position that I was prior. I was getting a lot of the stock android processes force closing randomly. I ended up unrooting my phone through z4root but am still experiencing some problems. Would it be better to flash 2.01 then OTA to 2.2 or flash the 2.2 to start with? Also do you think there could be a possibility that there is something that is not playing nice with something else? I will try running my phone on barebone apps to see if performance improves.

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
After rooting the second time with z4root I have not done anything - no roms - no root programs. Just programs that had run previously on it such as juice defender, swype, and linda file manager.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
And you didn't delete anything. Hmm. Interesting.

I'm starting to think you should do a backup and a hardware reset, but without a custom recovery image you can't do much for a backup. Ti Backup would be your friend at this point.

pierced_droid

Reaction score
That's why I don't root without rsd don't trust these one click roots

Sent from my etcha-sketch