Rooted Droid 2.2 Very unstable

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
I rooted the long way the first time and had issues. I think that it has nothing to do with my phone but rather my Sd card. I did a reset and pulled the card and have not had any problems. I am going to format the SD card once I get home tonight after I back it all up on my pc. Hopefully will take care of the problem. Can anyone see any issues with pursuing this?

Thanks

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
Thanks, I have had a rough time with the droid. I am on my third replacement from Verizon. This is however the first one that I tried to root. The first shorted out and burnt up, second had software issues, third had the same so here I am with my 4th droid. looking to upgrade to Etna when available.

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
i formatted the sd card and restored the phone. I did not install any apps back onto the phone and it ran well all night and only had 1 force close issue. Other than that it appears to be working well.

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
So it has been a couple days and my phone is still not functioning correctly. I have flashed back to the stock recovery and 2.1. When loading my OS I encounter a couple different problems. The first being - Once I get to the "eye" in the load sequence it either loops automatically or loops instantly. Other times I can load the OS but get force closes on almost every app that tries to load. It usually gets to the OS after I erase the cache partition and do a recovery.

I am hoping that I can get back to stock and have all the apps start force closing so I can go back into the Verizon store and hopefully get a replacement.

Does anyone know of anything else that could possibly work - at this point I am willing to try almost anything short of throwing it against the wall.

Thanks guys.

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
I did load a stock 2.1 Rom. I do not know how credible the Roms are. Do you have any link to stock roms that you know work?

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
I loaded what was advertised as a stock rom. I do not know how to tell if the Rom is actually a stock version. Can you list some links to stock roms that you know work?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If it's a stock ROM it's stock. Nobody would claim otherwise. :)

Only way to really make 100%, though, is to install a master OTA file. Stock recovery will install it and it'll update you to whatever version of the stock ROM it's for. If you mistakenly flashed a stock rooted ROM it will not get rid of the superuser permissions app, however.

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/MasterFRG22Da5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip

I believe this is the proper file. If not the guy who hosts it will have to answer some questions about his naming practices. :)

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
So to install this I would load it into the root directory and then boot into recovery and install the update that way?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
To the root of the SD card, not a directory named root. :) Otherwise, yes. Rename it update.zip if you're installing from stock recovery or SPRecovery, no need to rename in Clockwork.

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the help I will try this once I get home tonight and hopefully it takes care of the all the looping and what not.

OP
N

nmstoute

Reaction score
I guess thinking about it I have one more question. How would I go about getting the zip file onto the sd card if I cannot load anything on the phone. I have not been able to get to my desktop at all tonight due to the looping.