What text messaging app do you use?

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
Seems like Handcent is the winner..

The one thing I like about stock over Handcent is the little bubble that pops up on the icon telling you how many unread messages you have. Is there a similar option on Handcent? I could not find one. The only thing Handcent appears to let you do is change the color or appearance of the icon, which does not help me out much.

In the status bar or the app icon? If app icon, Handcent has a widget that shows the unread count.

trebb

Reaction score
I'm using stock because I like how it's laid out...but is it sometimes really sluggish for anyone else? At times it's silky smooth, and other times it's just not.

want a droid

Reaction score
I'm using stock because I like how it's laid out...but is it sometimes really sluggish for anyone else? At times it's silky smooth, and other times it's just not.

Not sluggish for me but I agree with you on its laid out nicely. I like the minimalistic look of it a lot.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Seems like Handcent is the winner..

The one thing I like about stock over Handcent is the little bubble that pops up on the icon telling you how many unread messages you have. Is there a similar option on Handcent? I could not find one. The only thing Handcent appears to let you do is change the color or appearance of the icon, which does not help me out much.

In the status bar or the app icon? If app icon, Handcent has a widget that shows the unread count.

Yeah, I want the number of unread messages to pop up in the widget icon itself, not the the top status bar. I tried going to settings/notification settings/notification settings and checking "show unread count", but that didn't work for the widget icon for me, only the top part.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Handcent has a counter too. I used Handcent since I got my OG Droid in 2009 and continues with the TB now. And, Swype doesn't work on the stock messenger on the TB.

To activate the Handcent counter you put the widget on your desktop, open Handcent, go to Menu/Settings/Custom Style and check Show Zero Count.

PatrickJ

Reaction score
Used Handcent for the D1, using stock for the TB. It's very simple lay-out & does everything I need. My only wish was a different skin-layout option along with LED color.

Handcent's setting page was a bit much @ times but it is a great app.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
SlideIT works with messaging

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Screwbal

Reaction score
How does the TB handle large text messages? I can basically send a small book from my iPhone to another iPhone in a single message with no breaks. But every so often when I get a message from someone who's not on a iPhone their large message breaks into multiple txt which some times are out of order then. I've forgotten if there was a term for large text support but does the TB handle it ok or send them in pieces?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
How does the TB handle large text messages? I can basically send a small book from my iPhone to another iPhone in a single message with no breaks. But every so often when I get a message from someone who's not on a iPhone their large message breaks into multiple txt which some times are out of order then. I've forgotten if there was a term for large text support but does the TB handle it ok or send them in pieces?

When I tried to send a text over the 160 character limit my friend with an iphone send she only got the last few characters.

Also I'm trying to use the stock app for now, but I prefer go sms as I feel like it's less fussy lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

PatrickJ

Reaction score
Question for the stock message...

Can you attach a signature? I know Handcent has one but haven't seen it for the stock app.