What text messaging app do you use?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I tried it on the TB but I went back to stock. I used it to change the notification color and sound on my DX. You can change the sound on the TB with the stock app so I left it. Colors can't be changed so Handcent is useless for me. Just another added app taking up space. The popup feature annoyed me.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I tried it on the TB but I went back to stock. I used it to change the notification color and sound on my DX. You can change the sound on the TB with the stock app so I left it. Colors can't be changed so Handcent is useless for me. Just another added app taking up space. The popup feature annoyed me.

You CAN change the notification color and sound with Handcent in settings. Actually, there are several different icons and colors you can use, and you can get a custom notification sound. You can also disable the popup feature if you want. I like the style and customization of it compared to the stock app, which I found the layout of to be boring. To each their own though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

You CAN change the notification color and sound with Handcent in settings. Actually, there are several different icons and colors you can use, and you can get a custom notification sound. You can also disable the popup feature if you want. I like the style and customization of it compared to the stock app, which I found the layout of to be boring. To each their own though.
The colors between Orange and Green? Yeah that's exciting. I know you can change the color, I even said that I did that on my DX. But the TB only has 3 colors, Red, Green and Orange. HTC went cheap on LEDs.

I just downloaded Handcent again and I don't have any option to change the LED. Only option I have is, Blink LED. On the DX, there was an option for color.

Last edited:
OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
The colors between Orange and Green? Yeah that's exciting. I know you can change the color, I even said that I did that on my DX. But the TB only has 3 colors, Red, Green and Orange. HTC went cheap on LEDs.

I just downloaded Handcent again and I don't have any option to change the LED. Only option I have is, Blink LED. On the DX, there was an option for color.

Oh, sorry, you didn't specify LED before, you only said notification, so I thought you were referring to the icon. How many colors do you need for the LED, green & orange seems like it should get the job done. Do you need purple or blue for something? This seems a little nitpicky, or else I'm just not seeing the importance of having several different colored LEDs. If there's a notification light on, you're going to unlock your screen and see what it was and respond accordingly regardless, aren't you?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Oh, sorry, you didn't specify LED before, you only said notification, so I thought you were referring to the icon. How many colors do you need for the LED, green & orange seems like it should get the job done. Do you need purple or blue for something? This seems a little nitpicky, or else I'm just not seeing the importance of having several different colored LEDs. If there's a notification light on, you're going to unlock your screen and see what it was and respond accordingly regardless, aren't you?
Well I had different colors for different things. Email was green, txt was blue, etc. So that way I could just leave it alone or pick it up if I knew what it was. The LED notification area on the TB is a joke. I can barely see it blink behind the cheese grater. So I pick the phone up and unlock it more now because I don't see the notifications very well. I actually need to turn that off since it's just wasting battery. The Droid X would light up my bedroom at night from the LEDs.

CrappyPhone

Reaction score
I just downloaded Handcent and where exactly do you go to disable the stock messanger?

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
You have to uncheck notifications in the stock messenger program setting.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have a highly modded stock version on sourcery rom of course with the galaxy s theme

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

llgeg

Reaction score
I have been using Handcent the past few days and I LOVE it! I like the bubble texting, and that you can modify everything right down to the individual backgrounds per person. How does Handcent compare to Go SMS? Pros/cons?

mpenda

Reaction score
I've been using Go, so far its interface is a cut above the stock app, but the stock app is MUCH better than on my D1.
But what I would love is a better app for texts using my Google Voice number. The GV app is lacking in features and doesn't seem to be getting any attention.
Anyone know of one?

Bowyer

Reaction score
Just put "slide it"on my thunderbolt and it works perfectly with the stock messaging. Auto space works in all applications. I had swipe before but so far I like this better.

Shane RC51

Reaction score
I ran Handcent forever on my rooted Droid. On the Thunderbolt I'm using the stock setup. I like that there is a little "send" button on the keyboard. With Handcent, I have to type my message, then hit back, then send. It's a small annoyance, but enough of one to keep from using Handcent. :(

Immolate

Reaction score
I started using Handcent when I got my first D1 because I'm on call 24x7x365 and I have to have a text app that repeats the notification at certain intervals if you don't open the text. Android didn't do that back then, and I'm not sure it does now. I haven't gotten my Thunderbolt yet (that comes tomorrow yay!) so I'm on a DX at the moment on Gingerbread. Is repeating notification possible on 2.2? Is there a ROM that provides it?

tbolt1125

Reaction score
Just put "slide it"on my thunderbolt and it works perfectly with the stock messaging. Auto space works in all applications. I had swipe before but so far I like this better.

Yeah I liked slide it too until my demo ended and they wanted 6 dollars

sent from the bolt