What text messaging app do you use?

s54

Reaction score
I've had Handcent and others. And while I understand why Handcent appeals to a lot of people, I don't quite understand the fascination behind it. This app has been crashing and acting up on all Android phones I had. It would lag like there's not tomorrow. Yes, it looks great and is very user friendly, but that's about it. To me, it's all show and no go. That is why I went back to stock; it actually works.

metzor

Reaction score
I tried them all on my D1, and they all gave me the same issue: I would receive duplicate messages from people, 2, 3, sometimes 4 times. Not the notification, that was turned off, the actual messages. Never happened on stock. The stock messenger app on the bolt is much better than my D1, so I see no reason to get a 3rd party app. Not yet anyways.

Jacquiroze

Reaction score
Question for the stock message...

Can you attach a signature? I know Handcent has one but haven't seen it for the stock app.

yes you can. While on the email screen, press "menu", "more", "settings", "General settings". From there you will see the option for "signature"

Jacquiroze

Reaction score

Can you attach a signature? I know Handcent has one but haven't seen it for the stock app.

yes you can. While on the email screen, press "menu", "more", "settings", "General settings". From there you will see the option for "signature"

oops, you meant a signature for SMS, not email. Sorry, not sure how to do that.

PatrickJ

Reaction score
HMMM....I just noticed that I couldn't send a larger audio file through the stock messenger. I have file limit setting on max too. Back to handcent for me.

Sent from my TBOLT using DroidForums App

PatrickJ

Reaction score

oops, you meant a signature for SMS, not email. Sorry, not sure how to do that.

Nope...you are correct. You also can't attach a large file <ringtone> in a text message either. I'm trying out Go SMS now...it's pretty good but the only thing that bugs me is the "name said" & "I said"

redlightg20

Reaction score
I used Handcent but it became too unbearable to use at times as it would make my whole phone lag like crazy. Uninstalled it then went to GoSMS. Very fast, no crashes so far.

wolfpackdl90

Reaction score
i use handcent sms and just started using swype with it, i am really liking it alot better now, and i like the customization out of handcent sms as well.....

n0yxl

Reaction score
I started using Handcent early '10 to get around the CDMA 160 char limit "flaw", been using it ever since. Highly customizable as well. Duh, winning!

llgeg

Reaction score
I want to try out either Handcent or Go SMS, once you download either one, how do you use that one over the stock? Thanks.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I want to try out either Handcent or Go SMS, once you download either one, how do you use that one over the stock? Thanks.

Open app tray, long press icon of texting app you want to use to select it, drag to an open spot on a home screen. Open stock messaging app, go to settings and disable notifications (so you don't get two notifications every time). Then open new texting app and use it just like you would use the stock one (and you may want to check the settings in it in case you want to adjust them).

llgeg

Reaction score

Open app tray, long press icon of texting app you want to use to select it, drag to an open spot on a home screen. Open stock messaging app, go to settings and disable notifications (so you don't get two notifications every time). Then open new texting app and use it just like you would use the stock one (and you may want to check the settings in it in case you want to adjust them).

Awesome, thanks!! :)