What Issues Are You Having With SWYPE??

sportadic22

Reaction score
I love it. We can talk about the problems here and what we think would make it better. I am having a problem deleting words. if i type a sentence using swype and want to delete say 5 words, its a process. When i hold the delete key it only deletes one word at a time with a long pause in between each word. after it delets a word, a blue box appears around the keyboard and a white box pops up saying "Delete Word Back" am i missing something. is there a faster way to delete a sentence or a way to hold delete key and it not pause in between every word delete??

i to had this problem ever so often, then I saw that if you pushed on the screen for a few seconds you could select all then delete and basically start over.i also tried recently the select text feature where you then can highlight certain part and then delete.i found it to be a little difficult at first but eh itgets easier over time..hope this helped a little.im still new to while forum help and responding.
btw..i did this whole reply with swype on my droid and used the features I talked about.just takes some getting use to.

-greg

xjman349

Reaction score
One thing I love is the double tap to fix a word. That is so sweet. Wish you could do that on the standard keyboard, but you can't thats why I use swype.

alm0614

Reaction score
you can double tap on a word in the standard keyboard,

also does anyone know like where we will be able to get updates for swype, since it isnt on the market

DroidxRage

Reaction score
^^ You won't until the app is actually released, this is just a beta, so I'd imagine alot of the nuances will be fixed in the real version.

Oh, and BTW, to erase the whole text quickly, long press in the text field, and cut all. :)

stevenfstein

Reaction score
biggest compaints is trying to enter words that it does not recognize - always tries to figure what is right, not what I want - and entering letters/numbers/letters as in a password. Any tips on the the latter?

Regards..... steve

alm0614

Reaction score
I thought they says it wouldn't be in the market

mark1wat

Reaction score
biggest compaints is trying to enter words that it does not recognize - always tries to figure what is right, not what I want - and entering letters/numbers/letters as in a password. Any tips on the the latter?

Regards..... steve

I just use the keyboard like a regular keyboard, (without swyping) seems to work fine like that also.

When you get to the number part, just long press the corresponding number key and it pops up. Works pretty good!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some of these issues are in the Swype directions on how to do them. For me...simple things like typing D&I (I need this for work) is a pain. It wants to put spaces or change words.

You can 'teach' it words. Or just put the words straight into your dictionary (i.e. via the system setting panel) and it will recognize them. I've done that with several abbreviations and other things (like screen names) and it now recognizes them fine.

Regards..... steve
See above for the former, as for the later I've not had any problem with passwords (most mine are letter/number/letter combos) but I just use the Swype keyboard as a regular keyboard (i.e. tap the buttons) instead of trying to drag through them. It works great for me.

I thought they says it wouldn't be in the market
:mad: Sadly no... you can check their site for their comments on that. They are, as of now only concerned with offering the product to OEMs for 'inclusion' with their software/OS... They have no plans at current to offer the product directly to the consumer. While a few manufactures have shown interest (Samsung now has the first official "Swype phone") none of the Android manufactures are on the list so don't look for it officially for us anytime soon.

ShapeWriter is a competitive alternative (essentially the same thing, based off of the same research done by IBM and others a decade ago) that has taken the opposite approach. They have become a huge success on the iPhone app store and are currently supporting open Beta's for Android and BlackBerry phones. I would suggest people start looking at that if they are looking for a long-term solution (FYI Swype has said that the leaked version of the beta that we have is 'for a limited time' but has not said what exactly that means.

wrldtreker

Reaction score

Regards..... steve

Go into the Swype Options, and uncheck Word Prediction. That will stop it from guessing words while you're TYPING in characters, but not while SWYPING.

Ominous

Reaction score
Numbers

I love Swype! I just wish it was easier to Swype in numbers instead of keying them in.

HAKmaster

Reaction score
I installed the most recent handcent update and swype didn't work right with it at all. It totally screwed my phone up. I unistalled swype and now my phone it working perfectly, anyone else have this happen to them?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed the most recent handcent update and swype didn't work right with it at all. It totally screwed my phone up. I unistalled swype and now my phone it working perfectly, anyone else have this happen to them?

No, I don't/haven't used Handcent but I've not had a problem with Swype on any other program. Many people, however have had MANY problems with handcent. It's also caused many other 'issues' with the phone and other programs if you check the other threads. So I'm willing to bet it was handcent and not Swype that was the real problem, but that's just going from what I've seen in various threads.

HAKmaster

Reaction score
I agree that handcent was the problem. Swype worked flawlessly before the handcent update, but I'm not a fan of the stock messenger, hopefully the developer fixes it quickly. What messenger app do you use?

HAKmaster

Reaction score
When I first installed swype it worked great, yesterday installed an update for handcent and it caused all kinds of problems. I even uninstalled handcent(evrythingworked fine again) and reinstalled handcent and then the problems came back. Did you get the most recent handcent update? It bums me out because I really miss swype...