What is up with the 4g phone selections at VZ?

Zog

Reaction score
Until the storage cap of 4G Lte phones is raised I'm not interested, in any of them if 4G is there only selling point... 32gb isn't enough at those speeds.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Lol. You must be in that top 5% of data usage we so often talk about. Hate to see your bill after the data tiers.. imo, use a torrent remote instead of native client homie.. 32gb on a phone is more than enough.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
******Warning-- the below is a rant*******

My area is getting 4g tomorrow and I am pissed!

I had a TB and took it back because of atrocious battery, looked at the CHARGE and the lack of backlit buttons, and LED kinda piss me off. Really! It also seemed somewhat laggy.

Rant over.

The Charges 4 buttons on the bottom of the phone (menu, home, back and search) are backlit. As far as the lag goes, a home replacement fixes it pretty well. I use ADW but LauncherPro works well to i hear. My only complaint, as well as many others is the color scheme which will hopefully be fixed soon by a a theme.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I don't own one, but have heard two people complain that they are not backlit. I wonder why I'm getting conflicting stories here? Are they configurable, meaning can you enable/disable backlighting for the physical buttons?

No LED though right?

I wouldn't like to use the NOLED app and have my screen on all night trying to let me know I have a text/email....seems counter productive to battery life.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Until the storage cap of 4G Lte phones is raised I'm not interested, in any of them if 4G is there only selling point... 32gb isn't enough at those speeds.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

It certainly is if u use WiFi at home. I stream Pandora a lot...web...apps that connect to web etc and don't use 32gb of data a month. At least not the last time I checked.

I can however see these amounts of data use if netflix becomes available for the thunderbolt

ridin the lighting

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a TB and took it back because of atrocious battery
There's a reason why it's called bleeding edge. Look back and you'll see that the first 3G devices had the very same complaints. Fail to learn from history and...

All the droid makers haven't figured this out and we're in this situation where we have a couple dozen phones and none of them are as good as they could be if they focused on maybe 3 phones, low end, mid, high end/flagship.
There are high end devices out there. None may suit specifically what you're looking for but offering different models isn't the issue.

We shouldn't have to be waiting around for the flagship phone, like the Bionic, it should be Moto's main priority.
Satisfying forum enthusiasts who make up a tiny fraction of a percent of the overall market (commonly forgotten by forum enthusiasts) is not a viable business model. Of course the OEM's are going to spend effort on low and mid end devices. They sell better generally.

I believe you understand when I say "Droid" I mean all of the manufacturers that make devices under the Droid name.
Just use Android. Droid is specific to Verizon.

Apple does one thing right, they know how to make one extremely good phone, that everyone will buy, therefore they can perfect that phone.
One size does fit all and that's typically a major point for those choosing Android. If you want the iPhone experience there's always the iPhone.

Last edited:

xtremecanefan

Reaction score
******Warning-- the below is a rant*******

My area is getting 4g tomorrow and I am pissed!

I had a TB and took it back because of atrocious battery, looked at the CHARGE and the lack of backlit buttons, and LED kinda piss me off. Really! It also seemed somewhat laggy.

Rant over.

The Charges 4 buttons on the bottom of the phone (menu, home, back and search) are backlit. As far as the lag goes, a home replacement fixes it pretty well. I use ADW but LauncherPro works well to i hear. My only complaint, as well as many others is the color scheme which will hopefully be fixed soon by a a theme.

I don't own one, but have heard two people complain that they are not backlit. I wonder why I'm getting conflicting stories here? Are they configurable, meaning can you enable/disable backlighting for the physical buttons?

No LED though right?

I wouldn't like to use the NOLED app and have my screen on all night trying to let me know I have a text/email....seems counter productive to battery life.

I don't see a setting for the buttons. Mine come on a few seconds after i unlock my screen if the lighting is dim enough for the sensor. It might only do it if brightness is on automatic. I will check tonight when i get home.

As for LED, there is none. I liked it on my droid but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The lock screen has a big notification message in it and thats enough since i usually hit the power button as i take my phone out.

I don't use noled but may give it a try and see how badly it hurts my battery life.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
If droid doesn't get it's act together and put out a high end phone soon, I'm going to jump into something I never thought I would do.....can't....say it.... buy an Iphone.
Well, to be fair, whether a phone is a "Droid" or not has absolutely no bearing on whether it is going to or not going to be an LTE phone. Droid is a line of phones, not dependent on manufacturer, so "a name" can not be held accountable.

Verizon will have more LTE phones when they have a larger LTE Network that is stable, and not a day sooner. To do so right now, would see multiple high end, high priced devices sitting on the shelf...and that costs more money.

I believe you understand when I say "Droid" I mean all of the manufacturers that make devices under the Droid name.
And I believe when you say Droid, you are only talking about 3 manufacturers at this time...HTC, Moto and now Samsung. Prior to the Charge, you would have been talking only about HTC and Moto. No way is the Droid namesake going to swarm the LTE phone market right now...so it is better to deal with LTE in the sense of Android, the OS... I cant help it if you cant see the folly in your original post...its fairly blatant...

As far as a high-end *Droid* labeled phones...you have 2 sitting on the shelves right now, the HTC Thunderbolt and the Samsung Charge...dont expect anything else other than maybe the Bionic/Targa/whatever it finally gets named, to be released anytime soon for exactly the reason I originally stated...there is not enough LTE coverage at this time to justify swamping the market with LTE devices that wont sell.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, whether a phone is a "Droid" or not has absolutely no bearing on whether it is going to or not going to be an LTE phone. Droid is a line of phones, not dependent on manufacturer, so "a name" can not be held accountable.

Verizon will have more LTE phones when they have a larger LTE Network that is stable, and not a day sooner. To do so right now, would see multiple high end, high priced devices sitting on the shelf...and that costs more money.

And I believe when you say Droid, you are only talking about 3 manufacturers at this time...HTC, Moto and now Samsung. Prior to the Charge, you would have been talking only about HTC and Moto. No way is the Droid namesake going to swarm the LTE phone market right now...so it is better to deal with LTE in the sense of Android, the OS... I cant help it if you cant see the folly in your original post...its fairly blatant...

As far as a high-end *Droid* labeled phones...you have 2 sitting on the shelves right now, the HTC Thunderbolt and the Samsung Charge...dont expect anything else other than maybe the Bionic/Targa/whatever it finally gets named, to be released anytime soon for exactly the reason I originally stated...there is not enough LTE coverage at this time to justify swamping the market with LTE devices that wont sell.

Your attempt to insult me for using the "Droid" name universally for the manufacturers that produce the products, is well...sad. As if I'm the only one to use the name interchangeably.

I can tell you're an internet tough guy, so I won't continue a dialogue with your kind.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Your attempt to insult me for using the "Droid" name universally for the manufacturers that produce the products, is well...sad. As if I'm the only one to use the name interchangeably.

I can tell you're an internet tough guy, so I won't continue a dialogue with your kind.
I didnt try to insult you. I merely pointed out that the use of the word "Droid", in your post, was incorrect...and it was. The fact that others use it interchangeably does not negate the fact that the use of it that way is wrong. Repeatedly doing something wrong will not ever make it right...folly is what it is...and as such why I called it so in my 2nd post to you.

Glad you think I am an internet "tough guy" based off of 2 posts I have made to you in this thread... Luckily, my "internet cred" can stand a hit or two....

Now, when you get done pouting, pull up your big-boy pants, wipe the tears away, and try to accept a simple correction for what it was...seems I wasnt the only poster to point out that little mistake you made...:)

BTW, good job on totally ignoring every aspect of my 2nd post that dealt specifically with what you were originally asking about...

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're under the belief that the TB or the Charge are considered "High End", then you've only reassured my first assessment; that I've made the right choice in speaking with you not being worth my time.

etx_droid

Reaction score
If you're under the belief that the TB or the Charge are considered "High End", then you've only reassured my first assessment; that I've made the right choice in speaking with you not being worth my time.

It's funny that before the TB came out, there was hype all over it and talk about how it was a game changer. It certainly was considered a high end device. Now it isn't? Why is that? Just curious is all...

And the Charge isn't a bad device at all, certainly worthy of the "Droid" namesake IMO, but well, yeah, that's just like my opinion, man :) (50 cool points for the person that gets this movie reference)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

It's funny that before the TB came out, there was hype all over it and talk about how it was a game changer. It certainly was considered a high end device. Now it isn't? Why is that? Just curious is all...

And the Charge isn't a bad device at all, certainly worthy of the "Droid" namesake IMO, but well, yeah, that's just like my opinion, man :) (50 cool points for the person that gets this movie reference)

Personally, I never thought the Thunderbolt was high end and didn't understand the hype.

Sent from my Transformer

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's because the TB was never high end, it was only marketed that way. The people who were aware of the specs and the performance knew it was not worth the upgrade, hence it's poor sales.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Nice of you to put words into my mouth...and at the same time eat your own by still "speaking to me even after you said you wouldnt"...how hard exactly is it to peddle that bicycle backwards now?
I never claimed or said I believed the TB to be high-end...and I quote myself here, "high-end *Droid* labeled phones...Verizon and the hype police labeled them as high-end as well as Droids...not me. Consumers will call them high-end based simply on their retail price point, as well as them being the newest phones on the carrier. Whether you, I or any other "tech junky knows different is a moot point. Verizon advertised, marketed, hyped and sold them as high-end...therefore, they are high-end...

Both of these deices are high-end...in the average consumers reference. Now, on Droid Forums or Howard Forums or any of 100 other "tech/gadget" forums, they are likely not as high-end as they could be... That does not mean diddly squat in the real world though...people purchase based on glitzy ads and the notion that the newest is obviously the best...and we know that is not the case at least %50 of the time...:)

Personally, I never thought the Thunderbolt was high end and didn't understand the hype.
Sent from my Transformer
Me either, and thats exactly why I am still sporting my Droid X...and will be for the foreseeable future. But, and yet again, we here on these forums are not your "average" users...we tend to dig deeper and explorer our options further than John and Jane Consumer. The average user is under the impression tht each newest device is tantamount to re-inventing the wheel...and thats why Verizon and AT&T have absolutely no problem with pushing new phones every 3-6 months...because they know they will sell enough to make a profit...

It's because the TB was never high end, it was only marketed that way. The people who were aware of the specs and the performance knew it was not worth the upgrade, hence it's poor sales.
I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that the #1 reason for poor sales on the TB is all about limited access to 4G LTE service...and has absolutely nothing to do with "over hyped, lack luster specs". The fact that there are tons of glowing reviews for the phone and its only true fault is piss-poor battery life on 4G, tends to swing the argument in my favor. The device is a good device...and it filled the hole it was sold for...the 1st 4G LTE device on the hands down fastest service in the US...

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I am very happy with the TB. I came from a DX and will never look back. IMO the TB is a high end device. Yeah it has some pros and cons but fits what I use it for the best. It is all about what you want out of a phone and what you expect. The TB has surpassed all of that and some and I have yet to try LTE. Will be this weekend and I'm sure that will make the phone that much better in my eyes.

Sent from my ADR6400L

vzdroid13

Reaction score

No LED though right?

I don't see a setting for the buttons. Mine come on a few seconds after i unlock my screen if the lighting is dim enough for the sensor. It might only do it if brightness is on automatic. I will check tonight when i get home.

As for LED, there is none. I liked it on my droid but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The lock screen has a big notification message in it and thats enough since i usually hit the power button as i take my phone out.

I don't use noled but may give it a try and see how badly it hurts my battery life.

Yeah, keys are backlit. And NOLED doesn't hurt battery life because of the LED screen.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums