VZ, contracts and new phones

plongson

Reaction score
I'm a longtime VZ customer and grandfathered into a decent data agreement. I have no issues with VZ and like the service and coverage. what I DON'T LIKE is being squeezed in a contract that forces me into a phone for two years unless I want to pay full retail to replace it. Two years is physically beyond the limit of these devices, I mean, they are actually WORN OUT before it can be replaced with a token discount in two years.

This really pisses me off. Dang, they get about $100/ month for years on end, then still squeeze you for more, but will almost give TWO new phones to new customers.

AHHH, corporate greed...all the while screwing your solid customer base.

Na, I don't feel any better now...

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I agree completely that these devices do not last the full term of a contract. With the amount of different phones released every year, not to mention the volume of mass production, there is no way a company can ensure that their phone is designed to last appropriately.

Now granted I am probably an extreme use case because I am on my phone constantly all day every day. But I am sure that this beast won't make it to the end of my contract in december.

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
Jakebyte mods, angel's tweaks, custom prop mods
-Kaw Kaw-

Reaction score
It is not up to vz to make sure your phone lasts two years. That is on the user. I have two OG Droids that are more than 2 years old and a droid x that is going on 2 yrs and they all still function just fine. No damages or issues. I never had to upgrade early or pay for a new phone because they easily last as long as you take care of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The problem I have is new customers getting better deals than current customers, and the excuse I was given by a sales representative is that "It's only fair considering they have an activation fee and deposit to pay." Well, existing customers now have to deal with an "upgrade fee," and I shouldn't be punished because my credit was good enough to not have to pay a deposit. Not to mention, they receive their deposit back after one year of good service. (I'm referring to the LG Spectrum, which is $79.99 for new customers, but $199.99 for upgrades.)

Frankly, I'm fed up with Verizon, but there isn't much choice in my area. I'll probably hold on to my D2 until it's completely dead, then buy another phone via eBay or CL.

mwc5851

Reaction score
I have an original Droid 1. Granted, 1 week before the one year warranty on the first one was out, the screen would no longer respond and they replaced it with a refurb Dec 2010.
Then less than 90 days later, the reception went to pot on the refurb, so, I got another refurb March 2010. So far, this one has lasted just over a year.
Not only do they get the other fees, etc., this hardware issue sure helps the sales pitch for the replacement warranty.

vatothe0

Reaction score
The problem I have is new customers getting better deals than current customers, and the excuse I was given by a sales representative is that "It's only fair considering they have an activation fee and deposit to pay." Well, existing customers now have to deal with an "upgrade fee," and I shouldn't be punished because my credit was good enough to not have to pay a deposit. Not to mention, they receive their deposit back after one year of good service. (I'm referring to the LG Spectrum, which is $79.99 for new customers, but $199.99 for upgrades.)

Frankly, I'm fed up with Verizon, but there isn't much choice in my area. I'll probably hold on to my D2 until it's completely dead, then buy another phone via eBay or CL.

That's the only device you want? This is the only time I've ever seen verizon do that in 7 years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have it better than Canada...they have to sign 3 year contracts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
plongson

plongson

Reaction score
Does VZ have a 1 year contract? that would be the way to go, There has to be some way around this mess...

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does VZ have a 1 year contract? that would be the way to go, There has to be some way around this mess...

Nope. They dropped 1 year contracts and pricing. If you want upgrade price, you must sign a new 2 year contract.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
They used to have a 1 year contract but the discount on the phone was much less than a 2 year. But I don't know if they still have it. (Nevermind, we have our answer. )

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums