What is the fastest way to drain battery?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, FoxKat. Thought I was a relatively well informed layperson about battery issues. Now I know better. My only consolation is that your excellent explanation matches my much less detailed understanding of what is going on with lithium ion batteries and monitoring their capacity. Even better, it justifies my OCD behavior in keeping my battery topped off whenever I can.

Thanks so much for the excellent post.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for all of the great info on batteries...more than I ever wanted to know! :)

I was finally able to discharge the battery to the point that the phone powered off. But I noticed that this phone is unlike my previous cell phones. In the past, phones would typically shut off at around 5% capacity. But this phone went all the way down. In fact, it still stayed on for another half hour streaming NFL once it reached 2%!!! Then it went to 1% and stayed on for another half hour or so. Finally, it gave up.

Anyway, just wanted to update everyone. This was probably a useless challenge to go through, but oh well. Now I know that my phone has an awesome battery. It took 2 days of heavy use to get it to die.

I can appreciate that it was more information than you actually ever wanted to know about batteries :) What we all have to be careful about however is that this is an open forum and lots of people come on this form for information not knowing any better, and misinformation can be detrimental to their user experience.

Newbies as well is the less technically savvy look up to us as quasi experts. We may not be trying to position ourselves as experts but they may still take our information to be biblical.

Everybody makes mistakes, and God knows I've made my share of bad ones as well. But in an open forum like this we get to learn from each other and of course we get to learn what not to do as much as what to do.

So an explanation for my long posts, the primary reason is to make sure that everyone else out there gets the best possible information available to them, so that they do have the best user experience. We all love our droids and it hurts every 1 of us just a little bit when we hear about somebody else that's not having the best possible experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Newbies as well is the less technically savvy look up to us as quasi experts. We may not be trying to position ourselves as experts but they may still take our information to be biblical.
Not to be disagreeable, my friend, but imho you should NOT use the word "us" when referring to the group "quasi experts" and, at least as far a batteries and such, I DO take your information "to be biblical."
:hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for all of the great info on batteries...more than I ever wanted to know! :)

I was finally able to discharge the battery to the point that the phone powered off. But I noticed that this phone is unlike my previous cell phones. In the past, phones would typically shut off at around 5% capacity. But this phone went all the way down. In fact, it still stayed on for another half hour streaming NFL once it reached 2%!!! Then it went to 1% and stayed on for another half hour or so. Finally, it gave up.

Anyway, just wanted to update everyone. This was probably a useless challenge to go through, but oh well. Now I know that my phone has an awesome battery. It took 2 days of heavy use to get it to die.

I am glad that you reached the bottom of the barrel as it may be. One thing I didn't mention before but has been a problem for others time and time again when they have "drained" their phone batteries is that they've then had difficulty getting the phone to charge and boot up again. SallyC can tell you of one or two users this has happened to, and I believe we both worked together to help troubleshoot at least one of those. The result is that the phone appears totally dead and even when plugged into a charger and left for several hours or more (in one case overnight), the phone still was unresponsive.

For some examples see the threads below...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-doesnt-charge-but-battery-showing-100-a.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-tech-issues/199843-wont-turn.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ggestions/199275-droid-razr-not-charging.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...ions/198657-gnex-taking-long-time-charge.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/pantech-breakout/179518-help-phone-starting.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-rezound-help/195814-help-rezound-wont-charge.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-tech-support/192784-droid-bionic-wont-turn.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...617-dead-after-being-charger-all-night-2.html (I just LOVE this quote...), "I think the key difference is shipped battery was probably completely dead, and I ran this one completely dead to condition it. So it would appear my phone won't charge a dead battery. "

It's amazing how all these have one thing in common...the battery went to zero! Who'da thunk. And the quote above..."to condition it". It's no wonder what "condition" it was in after being drained...

This can scare the bejeezers out of a newbie thinking they've "bricked" their phones. Fortunately for most that I've come across, the phone eventually starts taking a charge and all was well in Dallas again. Some were able to get Verizon to replace the "defective" battery, but truth is only the USER was defective. Wanna know why your phones cost so much? Perhaps it's the waste that misuse causes, and the warranty repairs or replacements that should never have been?

There is one bigger potential problem with draining to 0, which I've mentioned before. The cutoff voltage of 3V is supposed to leave enough power in the battery to prevent it from dropping to the 2.5V-2.7V level and going into the unrecoverable protection mode. If by chance you leave it in that deeply discharged state for too long it can continue to discharge and slip into deep sleep. If that were to happen, you'd need to send the phone into Motorola. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it onto their Cadex Battery Analyzer (see "reduced costs" at the bottom), to check voltages of so-called "dead" batteries and to see if they've been misused. If they decided that it was deep-discharged they could possibly charge you for a battery replacement, due to having allowed the phone to drain and not charging when the phone recommended at 15%.
  • Up to 90% of returned batteries are still serviceable
  • Service providers and their clients save money whenever a good battery is identified because they do not incur the cost of replacing it with a new one
  • Testing batteries allows repair facilities to identify if the battery or the device is faulty and save money by repairing only the faulty component
  • Refurbished batteries can be a significant source of supply for service providers that might have to purchase them elsewhere
Wake Up Dead Batteries Using the “Boost” Function
  • If a cell phone battery is discharged too far, its internal protection circuits will trigger and the battery will no longer accept a charge – to the user it appears to be “dead”
  • A 2-minute “Boost” (performed only by a qualified technician and with proper equipment), will reactivate the battery
  • After charging, most reactivated batteries will continue to operate normally for the rest of their useful life
View attachment 48009Protection triggered

So, if you want to push the envelope as they say, rooting, flashing, using non-approved chargers, opening the case AND battery draining are all potential hazzards you may wish to rethink before making the decision to do. You may have no recourse if you do.

Last edited: