What is the fastest way to drain battery?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by bamorris2, Feb 29, 2012.

1. bamorris2

bamorris2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's kind of a silly question, but what app or task kills the battery the fastest? I have a MAXX and I want to drain the battery rapidly so that the OS will "calibrate" the battery meter. I've had the screen on 100% brightness, screen always on, for about an hour, and it's only gone down about 4% (currently at 64%). Looking for something that the phone can do by itself without my constant attention.

To clarify, I'm trying to get the battery meter to calibrate. I understand the the lithium batteries do not require conditioning.

#1 bamorris2, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. RUSHgsxr

RUSHgsxr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Play a movie or something, usually kills my battery fast

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

3. omar908

omar908 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well they say draining the battery is bad for these kinds of phones but i think fastest way is probably streaming from next flix or streaming in 4g in general probably :) good luck ^_^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

4. xeene

xeene Silver Member

Ratings:
    +804
    Online 3d game will kill it faster then anything else.

5. Zandar

Zandar Active Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Netflix streaming in 4G. Only do this if you have unlimited data, though.

Sliced from my RAZR

6. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Please consider the info in this thread and this thread before you do this. Not only is this unnecessary, it may harm your phone.

7. DocsDad

DocsDad Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, but I read this as "Curses you damn battery, you are too good to me. Why must you make it so hard to drain you?" lol

8. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to disagree, Sally, but there is a common confusion about this issue. First, it is absolutely true that draining the battery (down to about 5%) does NOTHING to "train" or "calibrate" the battery. What it DOES do, however, is calibrate the device's battery MONITOR, providing a more accurate estimate of remaining battery life.

What most people don't understand about battery monitors is that they don't actually measure a remaining charge directly. Rather, they measure the current voltage of the battery and compares that to a maximum voltage at a full charge. That ratio provides the "remaining percentage" figure. Over time, the maximum voltage of a battery declines and the profile of the draining process changes. By getting a recent picture of that maximum and discharge profile, the estimate of usage and remaining charge is more accurate.

This is why, for example, Apple recommends that an iPad's lithium ion battery be fully discharged about once a month. (In Apple's case, a "full discharge" occurs with about 5% of battery power remaining.) It does nothing to extend the battery's life cycle. It does, however, improve the estimate of the device's battery monitor.

Note that the OP appears to recognize the distinction here when he/she says, "I'm trying to get the battery meter to calibrate." Unfortunately, these discussions frequently veer off into discussions of calibrating/conditioning/preserving the battery, itself. And I think that is what has happened here.

9. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I would also think flashing roms would require an occasional resetting.

4g hotspot to laptop. while streaming a motocast movie via hdmi on your tv. Plus all the above..

You at 0% yet?

----posted maxx'ed out----

10. ltcalex

ltcalex Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This answer is on point. The question was re: "meter" calibration and nothing else.

11. bamorris2

bamorris2 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thank you for your reply, and you are 100% accurate in my desired result. I was only talking about the meter calibration, and NOT at all talking about the battery itself.

At any rate, thank you all for your suggestions on how to drain the battery. Unfortunately (LOL), these methods did not work. So far my total up time since battery charge is 1 day, 6 hours...and I'm still sitting at 40% charge. My screen has been on for 6 hours 44 minutes. I streamed some HD videos over 4G, used my phohe as a 4G hotspot for 2 hours, had my daughter play several games, left the screen on full brightness...all to no avail. This is really funny - I'm having a hard time wearing down the battery! I guess it's a good problem to have.

Anyway, I'm just going to let it slowly run down through the day (and maybe into the next day and the next day). LoL

12. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You're right. It's a great problem to have. In fact, other than an obsessive need to know what's going on with your phone (and that's not meant as a criticism; I tend to share that OCD behavior), what exactly are you trying to accomplish? I waited to replace my original Droid until the Razr Maxx came along because while I wanted 4G/LTE on a new phone, I wasn't willing to put up with a battery life of little more than half of my Droid. The RM has more than met my requirements. I simply stick it on its charge cable at night and don't worry about it. And the greatest thing about this phone is that if I forget to do so, I can actually make it through a second day without worry.

I do have a curiosity about what chews up battery life but I can't come up with any real world scenarios in which I have to worry about it or take measures to reduce battery drain. If the % remaining figure is wrong (and it may be), this is the first phone I've ever had where I simply don't have to worry about it.

Search tags for this page

best way to drain android battery

best way to drain battery android
best way to drain phone battery

best way to kill phone battery

fastest way to drain a battery

fastest way to drain android battery

fastest way to drain battery
fastest way to drain battery android
fastest way to drain cell phone battery
fastest way to kill android battery