How to properly charge?

Rckymtn

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Coming from a bionic, I would normally charge it whenever it got somewhat low and did not worry about destroying the battery(as it was replaceable). Now I have the maxx and want to know the proper way.

Can I recharge the battery when it's 40% overnight and not worry about damaging or shortening the life of it?

I understand that allowing the battery to fully drain and then charging calibrates the battery/meter.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

DocsDad

Reaction score
Yep... 40% is fine. I charge whenever. It will not over charge. Occasionally drain down.

I try not to drain too far. It takes forever to charge this bad boy back up. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Actually, you don't want to fully discharge the battery regularly. Once in a while to calibrate is fine, but lithium ion batteries really shouldn't be deep discharged every time. Lithium ion does not suffer from memory problems; regular deep discharges will actually shorten your battery's life.

Just charge it at night and you should be fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

joeyx2

Reaction score
I try not to drain too far. It takes forever to charge this bad boy back up. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

+1

OP
R

Rckymtn

Reaction score
Actually, you don't want to fully discharge the battery regularly. Once in a while to calibrate is fine, but lithium ion batteries really shouldn't be deep discharged every time. Lithium ion does not suffer from memory problems; regular deep discharges will actually shorten your battery's life.

Thanks for the advice...my battery has been amazing so far. I will charge it at night and not worry anymore.

hoppyjr

Reaction score
Charge it anytime and don't worry about it. Lithium based batteries like to be kept topped off and memory effect isn't an issue any longer.

posted using Tapatalk

cece5702

Reaction score
Nothing like a good battery that last through an entire day and than some! I went to bed last night with 50% battery left after pulling it off the charger at 6:30 am that morning. I watched news clips on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, texting, Twitter, took a few pictures to test my camera and played Angry Bird...or tried to, Lol.... I still charged it when I went to bed though. Battery life is awesome. Enjoy!!!

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

You are correct in noting that deep discharging a Li-Ion / Li-Po battery can and will damage it. However, under normal operating conditions, your phone is not capable of discharging your battery to a level below that which is safe for the battery. When your battery level meter says zero percent, that simply means that the battery has reached the pre-set low voltage cut-off that is programmed in the phone. At this point there is still plenty of charge left in the battery, however draining the battery further would damage it, thus the phone shuts off to prevent damage.

There is absolutely NO HARM in letting your phone completely drain the battery on a regular basis. There is also NO harm in charging the battery from any level it happens to be at when you're near a charger.

OP
R

Rckymtn

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone!

SallyC

Reaction score

Agreed.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

xxwabbit

Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A great read and put into my favorites. My question is do manufacturers follow these guidelines? [/FONT]
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger. I'm not really comfortable having my phone off during charging.
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better. Can be managed.
  • Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge. Are the phones/chargers designed this way?

cece5702

Reaction score
So the phone should be turned off while charging? I never turn my phone off and I've alwas wondered about that. Interesting!!!
A great read and put into my favorites. My question is do manufacturers follow these guidelines?
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger. I'm not really comfortable having my phone off during charging.
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better. Can be managed.
  • Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge. Are the phones/chargers designed this way?

SallyC

Reaction score
C'mon, FoxKat - you're the expert here. Jump in, will ya? :D

Fwiw, I reboot my phone once a day but don't have it off when charging. I put it on the charger at night and leave it till morning.