Battery Calibration Question

kevins686

Reaction score
Since I got my Maxx last week, I've been reading that it's a good idea to calibrate the battery and battery meter, and that this is accomplished by running the battery down to 10%, powering down, charging it to 100%, then repeating the cycle. Well it took me almost 2 days to do it, but I finally ground my battery down to 10% this evening so that I could calibrate it. However, I wasn't paying attention, and I let it slip to 5% before powering off and plugging it in. So, is the 10% thing a hard-and-fast rule for getting the battery properly calibrated? Should I start the process over?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Kevins686, no problem with going below 10%, as long as you don't let it die completely. Even then, as long as the meter isn't far out of calibration it won't be an issue. The real problem comes when the meter is far out of calibration and the phone shuts down at 0%, and then won't respond to the charger at all, or the phone will bootloop when attempting to power up.

By the way, you kinda got it a bit backwards... The following is the correct method;

Charge to 100% with power off (this can be started at ANY battery level)
Use normally to 10% with ICS or 15% with Gingerbread (you MUST see the "Low battery" warning pop up at this point or it's not going to have the desired effect)
Charge again to 100% with power off.

The reason for the order above is that the first charge to 100% with power off sets a temporary flag. Then the discharge to 10% (or 15% with Gingerbread) sets a semi-permanent "Low battery" flag. Finally the second charge to 100% now sets a semi-permanent "Fully charged" flag.

Otherwise, you're good to go.

From there, use and charge normally, and repeat the above meter "training" after about every 2 months (Droid RAZR), or 3 months (Droid RAZR MAXX), sooner is OK, later is less desirable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
P.S., I am moving this thread to the Smartphone Battery Discussion forum. A permanent link will remain here in Droid RAZR MAXX forum.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
just charge it to full and keep the phone in standby for as long as possible until it drains the battery in full. do this twice and you are calibrated.

Draining the battery fully is not ever recommended, especially with a phone whose battery meter may be out of calibration as it can result in the phone failing to respond to the charger and essentially rendering it useless. Fortunately in most cases this can be recovered from and the effects resolved, but there is no guarantee. Also draining the battery fully places additional undue stress on the battery shortening its useful life. Finally, in extreme cases, the Barry could slip into "protection mode" and become permanently frozen - never to accept a charge again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
just charge it to full and keep the phone in standby for as long as possible until it drains the battery in full. do this twice and you are calibrated.

God no not with these new batteries. Older batteries did that however what we have now actually has controllers on the batteries that calibrate them. If you've ever made a Pandora battery for the PSP then you know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.