Welcome to the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL Forum!

Discussion in 'Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL' started by danDroid, Oct 4, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    TBH I really shouldn't be too worried. If I like my LG V20's display then I will most likely love the 2 XL's

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,200
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I'm with you .. unless it has some defect it most likely gonna be okay ...don't need Samsung screen just needs to be solid viewing inside and outdoors ...

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +393
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    Looked pretty good to me with the half hour I played with it in store. There is a setting to change the display to cool or warm. Don't know if that might have something to do with the bad reviews.

Tap'd from my 7+

• Like Like x 2
  4. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,701
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    could be...people tend to give bad reviews when they don't know what they are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,733
    Yeah starting to see reviews pour in about the screen not being good on the v30. I'm going to seeing by VZW again to take another look. Some issues can be fixed with a software update, especially if it's on effecting a few phones. If it's not that bad as far as my eyes are concerned I'm going to stick with the 2xl.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,733

Because the display reviews are so back and forth depending on user, I'm thinking it's either software or how a display hits a person's eye. Either way I'm sticking to my guns with the xl2. Can't wait.

Me and wicked will be on the waiting list I see. But that just means we will get time to get the accessories we want as well as see which accessories end up getting low star reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,701
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    I really like that two tone black. I wish samsung would offer those styles.

8. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +393
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
  9. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,200
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I got the phone setting up now while I’m working ... I did notice that blue peeps talking about when you angle away from phone but it’s non Issue and looks to be intended by Google ...vivid mode doesn’t change the screen and phone looks better without adaptive display ...

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,733
    Couldn't resist so I went back to Verizon to play with the one they had on display. I went at a great time because the store was empty so I had time to play around with the display brightness.

Yeah the blue tint was there but you have to look at it at an angle and like most people have already pointed out we rarely look at our phones that way. If this was a tablet, flat panel TV, or computer then it would be a deal breaker. But for a phone, meh.

As far as the display it doesn't have the pop as the Samsung panels but it's not like it's horrible. It just looks different and it's apparent that difference is software related, which means it can be fixed with a software update to allow toggling on and off.

Personally I'm staying with the 2xl as I just didn't see enough to warrant switching to the standard pixel. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have reviewers to point out the negatives that way buyers know what they are getting into. For some I could see this as the deciding factor if they were putting this against another device (ie note 8).

Anyone on the fence I would suggest going to Verizon and checking it out yourselves. 900+ is a lot of money to be throwing on the counter for doubts. If it is bothersome to you at least you know now and will have time to change your orders.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. stevejluke

stevejluke New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else here have a Pixel 2XL? I have one on Project Fi and I am having a couple of issues:

1) Many times, when I turn off the display or the screen goes to sleep, the screen flashes very bright white for a brief moment.

2) I can't get the latest update. It shipped with the Sept. 5 update, and I can't get to the Oct. 5th update (over a week trying). I chatted with support but they blamed the carrier (and seemed to ignore my repeated mention that the carrier was Google, so G controlled everything)

Anyone else stuck on nearly 2mo old security patch? Any ideas on how to keep the screen from flashing?

Re: Other screen issues - I don't mind the less-vibrant screen, it is really only noticeable showing it next to other displays. The blueness when viewed on an angle is a non-issue. I do have burn-in, it is worse than my 1yr old Pixel XL (which did have some) and older Nexus 5x, but still isn't bad enough to notice when not looking for it.

More experience: Strangely, the whole squeeze-for-assistant thing was a non-feature on paper, but I love it in practice, I was never very keen on the OK Google thing, but with squeeze I find myself using the assistant much more often.

I am debating returning it though. The above two issues would be the primary reasons for the returns, and if I ever see the burn in when not trying to see it would also cause a return.

Search tags for this page

google pixel 2 xl forum

pixel 2xl forum