Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones are starting to ship so post in here when you get your Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices in hand and let us know your thoughts!

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got the regular size Pixel 2 yesterday and spent most of the afternoon getting it setup.

Yes I do still wish that head either made the screen larger, or the total size of the phone smaller to reduce the "wasted" space on the chin and forehead, but its not a make or break deal.

Still being brand new the OS is lightning fast and smooth as silk. One thing my old eyes are not liking are the tiny notification icons on the Always on Display and the notification bar.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I got the regular size Pixel 2 yesterday and spent most of the afternoon getting it setup.

Yes I do still wish that head either made the screen larger, or the total size of the phone smaller to reduce the "wasted" space on the chin and forehead, but its not a make or break deal.

Still being brand new the OS is lightning fast and smooth as silk. One thing my old eyes are not liking are the tiny notification icons on the Always on Display and the notification bar.
I spent a little time playing with the Pixel 2 at a Verizon store and the bezels really aren't that bad. Specially with the speakers being on there.

It's a great device. Congrats on the new phone!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I will come back with my thoughts once I get a break to play with phone ...set up was a breeze from my Moto Z play ...

Sent using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Probably the last thing on the truck... Ridiculous.

Mine just arrived. See you guys later!
GHTkLuF796hGRn4b2

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Pixel 2 XL 128GB

I've spent only a little time with the phone as work gets in the way of my love of tech... Lol

I tried to set up phone with direct wire to Moto Z Play but for some reason it kept disconnecting on the Moto side.. I just did it old way from previous device all set up nicely.. If someone does it with wires let us know how it went for you..

I love the feel in hand and weight of the phone and I think it's a perfect balance.. I've always been a pure Android fan you can't get better than this right here.. Just buttery smooth and menus are nicely tidy up by Google.. camera seems to be a winner indeed but more to come down the road once we run it though the paces..squeeze function hmm I don't know I triggered it accidentally a few times and adjusted sensitivity let's see but really need to map to more than Google Assistant.. I'm not feeling that much lol

Okay the elephant the room.. Yes the phone displays blue tint when tilted at different angles.. You will see video I will link below.. I personally don't have a problem with it actually like the look myself lol . Vivid colors toggle on/off makes no difference 10% difference common Google what a waste of setting but room for software update yes yes .. Now it's early but adaptive brightness I prefer it off as with it on the screen brightness gets too low in most situations.. I say most bc I found two instances where with it on looked nicer.. gotta play more..sRGB there is no option to turn off which there is belief reason why peeps are complaining as last years phone you were able to toggle off.. Overall it's a warmer look to colors.. AND don't I repeat don't place it's screen next to the Note 8 like I did at BestBuy.. They are extremes next to each other and it's hard to argue Sammy does screens right IMO..

Speakers are nice love love.. Gotta get used to screen the way Google did bezels throws it off a little but I think that will go away after a day of use..

Early review with more to come... Hit me up with any questions...

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Pixel 2 XL 128GB

I've spent only a little time with the phone as work gets in the way of my love of tech... Lol

I tried to set up phone with direct wire to Moto Z Play but for some reason it kept disconnecting on the Moto side.. I just did it old way from previous device all set up nicely.. If someone does it with wires let us know how it went for you..

I love the feel in hand and weight of the phone and I think it's a perfect balance.. I've always been a pure Android fan you can't get better than this right here.. Just buttery smooth and menus are nicely tidy up by Google.. camera seems to be a winner indeed but more to come down the road once we run it though the paces..squeeze function hmm I don't know I triggered it accidentally a few times and adjusted sensitivity let's see but really need to map to more than Google Assistant.. I'm not feeling that much lol

Okay the elephant the room.. Yes the phone displays blue tint when tilted at different angles.. You will see video I will link below.. I personally don't have a problem with it actually like the look myself lol . Vivid colors toggle on/off makes no difference 10% difference common Google what a waste of setting but room for software update yes yes .. Now it's early but adaptive brightness I prefer it off as with it on the screen brightness gets too low in most situations.. I say most bc I found two instances where with it on looked nicer.. gotta play more..sRGB there is no option to turn off which there is belief reason why peeps are complaining as last years phone you were able to toggle off.. Overall it's a warmer look to colors.. AND don't I repeat don't place it's screen next to the Note 8 like I did at BestBuy.. They are extremes next to each other and it's hard to argue Sammy does screens right IMO..

Speakers are nice love love.. Gotta get used to screen the way Google did bezels throws it off a little but I think that will go away after a day of use..

Early review with more to come... Hit me up with any questions...

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks for your initial thought brother!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Thanks for your initial thought brother!

Anytime brother... I'm sure more peeps will be sharing their thoughts.. I'm totally happy so far and I think once you get a few days with it you will feel the same..

Sent using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pixel 2 XL 128GB

Sent using Tapatalk

I did the direct wire method with my Droid Turbo and didn't experience any connection problems. All of the apps transferred over...sort of? It looked more like a place holder was tranferred because all my apps actually installed from the Play Store and I had to re-enter login/account information on each one that required it. Phone and SMS history all came over fine.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I did the direct wire method with my Droid Turbo and didn't experience any connection problems. All of the apps transferred over...sort of? It looked more like a place holder was tranferred because all my apps actually installed from the Play Store and I had to re-enter login/account information on each one that required it. Phone and SMS history all came over fine.
Yeah a bit of a pain but no biggie reentering passwords.. BTW have you noticed radios seem to be solid on this device... I had exceptional coverage on my commute today. It was even better than my Motorola Z Play.. Or any recent phone I've used..

Sent using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I work in a home office with a tower less than 1/2 mile away. So yea signal has been strong...but EVERYTHING is strong here.

On Saturday I'll in a more rural part of town and will be the real acid test.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will say it pulls data over LTE faster than my Turbo which usually ran ~52 down and 8 up.
bb84c5e06cd662559f08a4f5f78a4edd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Can any of you guys test and see what the display on the 2 XL looks like while wearing sunglasses?