WD 40 on keyboard slider mechanism?

BoGenobo

Reaction score
hey. so my phone has been getting harder and harder to slide open after a year of use. I don't know exactly the thing works, but will applying wd40 to it help? I know there's risk to the chips and stuff so I wouldn't use a lot...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you are going to try using WD-40 or any other type of lubricant for it, try using a q-tip that's lightly dabbed with it. Other than that, I don't see any real harm in doing so as long as you don't apply to much to have it drip into the cracks.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
A silicon lube might be better, the q-tip is a great idea.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
hey. so my phone has been getting harder and harder to slide open after a year of use. I don't know exactly the thing works, but will applying wd40 to it help? I know there's risk to the chips and stuff so I wouldn't use a lot...
Rubber and plastic are oil based compounds which will dissolve in oil based solvents...as opposed to water based solvents. soooo........
Don't lube the sucker it will dissolve the plastic or make it swell because it will absorb the oil. instead try cleaning the tracks with with a air duster than maybe a lil alcohol(not too much) and a plastic toothpick or a guitar pick or q-tip(spin the cotton tight so it doesn't get caught in the tracks). just remember to not to bend the contacts

Last edited: