Removing the slider

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a way to disable the slider. Search for screenmodewidget in the Market, or in this Forum, to find out more.
I was going to suggest this app too. The only thing I noticed that after I'm done with the screenmodewidget, I have to manually go back in and select the timeout setting back to 2 minutes (my preference). Because it will stay on all the time, which is basically what screenmodewidget is designed to do I guess...but would be nice if it reenabled my 2 minute setting when disabled.

Berzerker

Reaction score
myLock works infinitely better than screen mode widget. Simple interface, start or stop, and it locks all the buttons except for the power button, so that's the button you must press for it to wake up. Great app.

QR:

img.php

nunka

Reaction score
myLock works infinitely better than screen mode widget. Simple interface, start or stop, and it locks all the buttons except for the power button, so that's the button you must press for it to wake up. Great app.

QR:

img.php

Hmm, I really like what this myLock app could become. Thanks for the find. Going to keep my eye on its Google Code page.

The only problems I have with it are 1. the lock screen still shows briefly and 2. the 5-second unlock screen timeout remains until you take some action. Both will probably be fixed soon enough...

@vinnard: It's not on the market yet, hence Berzerker's QR code. Use a barcode scanning app on your phone or follow my link above.

Last edited:

jgmarto

Reaction score
I could certainly use an app like myLock at times. Can you easily switch back and forth from having the slider on and off?

OP
vm2001

vm2001

Reaction score
I could certainly use an app like myLock at times. Can you easily switch back and forth from having the slider on and off?

It has an on off switch, so yes you can turn it on when you use it and off when you dont need it.

wil318466

Reaction score
I vote for screenmodewidget. Works great and I can turn on the screen pressing any key.

-Wil

petjakob

Reaction score
i am the creator of myLock. I am currently about to upload a new alpha which fixes the bug where the phone app turns the lock back on when it shouldn't.

I am trying to fix the only other bug which is minor only - the recent app switcher tool won't come up on the first try. myLock will provide an option for a home screen that comes up instead of the lock screen. for many users they will not want this, so it will be only optional. For me I am not even going to use it, just sticking to lockscreen skipping. I am creating a utility widget that will display a large clock, and give brightness and sound mode toggles to replace the sound slider from the default lockscreen.

For a while I thought it would be possible to offer customization of what buttons and how (IE long press/double press) would wake up the device, but it isn't possible in the regular android firmware, perhaps on root but I need to learn more about pursuing that. It will be possible to SHAKE it to wake up + unlock, and I am working with another dev to integrate this choice.

For the release I am simply implementing the choice whether users want to see an ongoing notification telliing them myLock is on. I find it helpful in verifying where a bug happened that stopped the service that makes it happen, and it provides a shortcut to the settings. It also places a priority on the service in a way that stops android from trying to kill it should ram ever get low.

petjakob

Reaction score
I have finished the alpha 2 today. The advantage over screenmodewidget or keyguard disabler is that it keeps volume and camera keys locked so you can unlock only via power key, slide open the keypad, or press any key on the keypad.

head over to the project blog and access the download link on the left sidebar
myLock for android

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My lock works great, as far as disabling the 'slide' to unlock.... however I can not get the slide screen back without uninstalling the app.

edit: Any fix for this? MyLock is exactly what I have been looking for, using only the power button to wake up the phone, while leaving the volume keys and camera key locked!! I just wish when I hit 'stop' that the slide returned!

Last edited:

petjakob

Reaction score
Looks like this is an issue in the settings. Press the start button, then press stop again and you should see the myLock icon disappear from the status bar, and the slider mode is back in place. The beta will have much more polished settings with more choices. Alpha just exists to preview the functionality and help find bugs so we can make the app as useful as possible for everyone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like this is an issue in the settings. Press the start button, then press stop again and you should see the myLock icon disappear from the status bar, and the slider mode is back in place. The beta will have much more polished settings with more choices. Alpha just exists to preview the functionality and help find bugs so we can make the app as useful as possible for everyone.
Thanks! I understand it's alpha... was more of a wishful post for a fix on my part, didn't realize I'd get a response so soon! Keep up the good work. Will def pick this app up (purchase) when it's released :)

btw... your work around worked perfectly!

tr0nllam

Reaction score
This is exactly the program I was looking for to skip the lockscreen. However, I know this is nitpicking, but the phone unlocked around a second faster for me in Alpha 1 as opposed to Alpha 2.