WARNING! Google Buzz Automatically Exposes Gmail Information

edthesped

Reaction score
Oh man gentlefury that really bruised my ego, you mean I'm that insignificant?

But really, whether you or anyone on this forum cares who I am is irrelevant. The bigger point you are missing is "what does the person holding my career in their hands think about my postings?" If your real name is associated with these postings and you are applying for a professional level position there is a very good chance they will end up in an HR file somewhere.

Sleeve, I used to access usenet via openVMS and those are the posts that still exist and though not bad, childish or illegal do show the lack of maturity and depth I had at the time. I cringe every time my wife pulls them up to tease me.

edthesped

Reaction score

........secondly, if you are a jackass online you are probably a jackass in life...so use a degree of restraint with what you present online and you have nothing to fear!

Your post says it all. I feel that I have remained civil through this whole thread and you....

iPirate

Reaction score
Oh man gentlefury that really bruised my ego, you mean I'm that insignificant?

But really, whether you or anyone on this forum cares who I am is irrelevant. The bigger point you are missing is "what does the person holding my career in their hands think about my postings?" If your real name is associated with these postings and you are applying for a professional level position there is a very good chance they will end up in an HR file somewhere.

Sleeve, I used to access usenet via openVMS and those are the posts that still exist and though not bad, childish or illegal do show the lack of maturity and depth I had at the time. I cringe every time my wife pulls them up to tease me.
I find it difficult to believe that a web search could be used with much credibility. Seeing that unless your name is seriously unique ( I thought mine was but after a google search I found at least 3 others) then there could be others doing and saying bad things with your name. What then?

Having someone with your same name have a private facebook but show they are a fan of the (hate group here) would probably stop you from getting the job you wanted if people actually used this method seriously.

Mercutio

Reaction score
iPirate,

Hiring and promotional decisions are not court hearings in which guilt must be proven to a reasonable doubt.

The sad fact of the matter is that employers do take this "information" into account. It may not be fair, or even wise, but it is a fact of life all the same.

iPirate

Reaction score
iPirate,

Hiring and promotional decisions are not court hearings in which guilt must be proven to a reasonable doubt.

The sad fact of the matter is that employers do take this "information" into account. It may not be fair, or even wise, but it is a fact of life all the same.
Sucks for John Smith. :icon_ banana:

Reaction score
iPirate,

Sucks for John Smith. :icon_ banana:

Hahaha, he must look bipolar through internet searches!

joeymoose

Reaction score
You can always wear a armadillo hat to block the mind controlling signals... That's what I do!

Reaction score
People still fail to use logic sometimes. You do not HAVE to use this. It is not forced upon you, but it is available to use. There can be some pretty creative ideas used with this new feature that no one has thought of yet. One cool thing is companies are using buzzes to deliver advertising and possible discounts.

joeymoose

Reaction score
People still fail to use logic sometimes. You do not HAVE to use this. It is not forced upon you, but it is available to use. There can be some pretty creative ideas used with this new feature that no one has thought of yet. One cool thing is companies are using buzzes to deliver advertising and possible discounts.

Exactly, Some people think everything is a conspiracy. You do NOT have to use it.

Example, I am selling My Mini Cooper S because I bought a Lexus IS 350. This morning i took a picture of it and posted it in my buzz... Long story short: 8 people responded and 2 have called and made plans to see it tomorrow. There are many uses for it. You just have to use that squishy think in your head...

Last edited:

kevin1016

Reaction score
iPirate,

Simple solution.......be the employer.

OP
Itamar

Itamar

Reaction score
This has proven to be an interesting debate. Some people feel that Google's actions were an invasion of privacy while others believe that it's no big deal. From a legal standpoint I think Google blundered badly by automatically enabling private information to be viewed in the public domain. It should have been an opt-in process, not opt-out. This will cost them dearly as is evidenced by the first class action lawsuit being brought against Google for their actions:

Google Israel Charged with Invasion of Privacy

The Jerusalem District Court was requested on Monday to authorize a 5.5-billion-shekel class-action suit against Google Israel for invasion of privacy in the launch of its Buzz social network, according to Haaretz's business publication The Marker.

The suit claims the fact that Google decided in recent days to give internet surfers the option of blocking access to their details by a lot of people after having increased their exposure proves the company's activities caused damage and were unlawful.

(My note: based on todays exchange rate, 5.5 billion Shekels = ~1.5 billion Dollars.)

Here's a second article on this:

Google Israel sued for NIS 5.5b over Buzz

Global search giant Google apologized to Internet users the world over yesterday for perceptions that it invaded their privacy with its new networking site Buzz. Even though the company made a second round of tweaks on behalf of surfers, it was hit with a NIS 5.5 billion class-action motion in an Israeli court yesterday on the grounds of invasion of privacy.

Amal Jaraisy's lawsuit, if approved as a class action, is on behalf of Gmail users, who "woke up one morning and found that the details of the people with whom they have open or covert contact are exposed to the entire world," without their consent, she wrote.

Amal says she'd thought she was receiving reliable, confidential service from Google, only to discover her details on the Buzz network without her consent or knowledge.

Anybody could know with whom she confidentially chats or to whom she sends or receives mail, without her knowledge or permission, all of which is illegal conduct on the part of the company, she argues.

Last edited:

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I'm not seeing what the issue is at all. I've tried finding my friends and my own contact lists through buzzes and it just doesn't work like that. Perhaps if you make your entire gmail profile public it will... but that's your fault for being a moron.

I even went into my profile on my gmail account and it was entirely blank. The only thing buzz shows is a pic (that you choose, if you wish) your location (if you wish, you can block) and the time. oh and it shows your name. THAT'S IT!

Someone show me a link with an example of this full contact list exposure people are complaining about because I just don't see it unless you opted to make your entire profile public. You can't even click on peoples names that I can tell. I've tried on multiple buzzes. Clicking does nothing but temporarily highlight the name and then it stops... nothing else. Maybe my foil hat isn't on tight enough yet.

Aside from people apparently setting their own profiles to public what else am I missing? are people afraid of being stalked? you know you can change your pic to whatever you want? that hot girl pic might just as well be a 40 year fat bald man waiting for you to stalk him :icon_ devil:.
I need an example of this to even really care. so far noone has shown a link that illustrates this open contact list showing glitch or whatever.

Reaction score
Just another money hungry lawyer with a skewed moral compass. They act as if class action is good for the people...... no, the money is split amongst MANY people, and the lawyers are the ones who make out amazingly well in the deal.