WARNING! Google Buzz Automatically Exposes Gmail Information

ShowTime

Reaction score
Sooo if I've never posted a buzz, never intend to post a buzz.... is this something I need to "turn off" somewhere to prevent people from seeing my info, or would they only have access to my info if I were to make a public buzz? Honestly, in 2 days of messing around with it, I have not seen one legitimate, or in any way helpful or interesting buzz from anyone within miles of me. Seems rather pointless to me :confused:

Darkman6909

Reaction score
This is really wierd i posted that i was looking for hookers and it showed my exact location!!! now my gf knows i went looking for hookers.

lschicky

Reaction score
Sooo if I've never posted a buzz, never intend to post a buzz.... is this something I need to "turn off" somewhere to prevent people from seeing my info, or would they only have access to my info if I were to make a public buzz? Honestly, in 2 days of messing around with it, I have not seen one legitimate, or in any way helpful or interesting buzz from anyone within miles of me. Seems rather pointless to me :confused:

From Google, though I am not sure if poking around and seeing what other people are posting will activate your profile. Which is where the info is being pulled from. actually, just went back and double checked, my mom is on it :icon_eek: I don't know if she went in and looked at it though.

Privacy

Buzz posted in Google Maps for mobile is publicly available and visible in the Maps Buzz layer for 24 hours, your Google profile, and anywhere Buzz is accessible, including other Google products. Buzz and and any comments you add will always include your text, name, profile picture, posting date, and tagged location. When you first post buzz, a public Google profile is created for you if you don't have one yet. Access your profile at http://www.google.com/profiles/me.

You cannot delete buzz from Google Maps for mobile. You must delete buzz posted from your Google Account using Google Buzz in other products, such as GMail, from your computer or mobile phone. You should report abuse in Google Buzz using these other products, such as GMail, the mobile Buzz app, or Google profiles.

Guchi

Reaction score
This is really wierd i posted that i was looking for hookers and it showed my exact location!!! now my gf knows i went looking for hookers.
LMAO

3326po4.jpg

Mercutio

Reaction score
Shutting it off doesn't hide your contacts. Even those who have shut it off must still jump through the hoops described elsewhere in this thread.

The entire saga is nothing short of shocking.

What's next? I wake up one morning to find that Google's decided to share the content of my emails with my contacts?

Reaction score
How much everyone is freaking out over nothing is nothing short of shocking. There's more revealing information about you in the phone book than people will find on buzz.

Mercutio

Reaction score
The phonebook will reveal whom I am corresponding with most frequently via Gmail?

choklitcow

Reaction score
That is what I have seen so far, doesn't bother me, and what I buzz about is never private information.

The only issue I have, and that most of the non-conspiracy nut people have legitimately stressed is the fact it automatically links and publicizes your contact list. While I see its reasoning (links the people you actually talk to) it is completely unwarranted that you don't selectively choose the information you share from the very beginning. I expect this will be changed in the near future.

There may be more serious concerns I haven't read, but most of what I've seen has just been people over-zealous.

As for private "Buzzing" on maps, after imputing your text you have the option to change public or private.

I would LOVE to know where it tells someone who you're emailing. Could you show me please? Oh, I'm sorry, you can't.

It's not that you are sending emails, its that they are in your contact list.

Last edited:

Mercutio

Reaction score
I would LOVE to know where it tells someone who you're emailing. Could you show me please? Oh, I'm sorry, you can't.

Read any of the numerous articles regarding Buzz's privacy failings. There's one in the original post of this thread, there was one heading Google's own news tech section for several hours yesterday.

As choklit describes above, this is the biggest failing.

I, too, suspect that this aspect of Buzz will be removed soon. But then, I never would have imagined that Google would publish portions of my contact list in the first place.

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
We were warned about this the other day :rofl3::icon_ banana: Buzz is the mid-step between Voice and Toilet....
[video=youtube;hrontojPWEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrontojPWEE[/video]

Last edited:

lyam

Reaction score
This. Also, when you buzz via the mobile site, it gives you the option to hide location, yet when you post the buzz it shows the location regardless of your selection.

The thing that scares me is Buzz via Maps on the Droid. I'm seeing buzzes from people I don't know, down the street, showing their full name, picture and location. I don't see a "private" option when buzzing through maps on the Droid.