WARNING! Google Buzz Automatically Exposes Gmail Information

iPirate

Reaction score
How much everyone is freaking out over nothing is nothing short of shocking. There's more revealing information about you in the phone book than people will find on buzz.
This is what I don't get. Oh well! I enjoy buzz! It is strangely fun to look around the city and see what people are buzzing about.

zakany

Reaction score

If you're at all worried, hit that link that lschicky posted and see what's disclosed in your profile. For me, it was just the picture I use for gmail and google chat. Nothing else. Not my Picasa pictures, not my contacts, not even a list of those who are "following" me - which is only my wife and probably only because I Google-chatted with her.

I tried it when it was rolled out. Someone nearby posted a public buzz. I responded (which sent him and email, I guess. He responded back (which sent me an email, plus we can see our conversation in Buzz). Our conversation does not appear on Google Maps. Just his initial, public Buzz does.

Now, I believe that if you add Picasa pictures to a public album, they become available via Buzz just like they're available via Picasa. That has freaked some folks out (although public means public).

I can see Buzz being useful. I'd have preferred an opt-in model. Right now, the most enthusiastic adopters are phone stores, using it to tell the world how great their deals are. Wee.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FYI, shutting it off does not hide your contact list.

Yes, you need to change your settings on your profile page to do that.

I did that but I've got nothing to hide. I just don't like the idea that Google plays so loose and fancy free with my info.

Mercutio

Reaction score
FYI, shutting it off does not hide your contact list.

Yes, you need to change your settings on your profile page to do that.

I did that but I've got nothing to hide. I just don't like the idea that Google plays so loose and fancy free with my info.

Just wanted to make sure that people didn't think that the inappropriately named "Turn Buzz Off" button would actually hide their contact list.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a public Google profile so Buzz doesn't have much to display other than my name (i provided) and my avatar. that's it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have a public Google profile so Buzz doesn't have much to display other than my name (i provided) and my avatar. that's it.

Same here, but I still turned Buzz off... I have no need for it and better safe than sorry with Google's track record.

zakany

Reaction score
How are you getting Buzz to show your contact list? I've used Buzz and it doesn't do that for me.

vabeach1

Reaction score
Old... Old... School

I'm one of those ancient ones who have no need to share my every thought, movement, and personal data with the world. Not for me.

edthesped

Reaction score
I'm one of those ancient ones who have no need to share my every thought, movement, and personal data with the world. Not for me.

Agreed. I must be very old school because I just don't get why people are so willing to put so much personal information in the public domain. The wife had a coworker that was out on paid sick leave that posted pictures of herself dancing on a table at a bar on her facebook account. She told one of the other coworkers about it who in turn was showing another as the office manager was walking by, position terminated. I also know an in depth search of internet activities is performed as part of the hiring process where she works. I can google a couple of things I posted in a newsgroup in 1993 and I cringe every time I read them. Although not incriminating in any way I sure wish there was a way I could delete them. Nowadays I work very hard to keep my real name off of the net.