VZW Petition to Ditch Contracts Nears 100k; Verizon Offers Expensive Payment Plans

huskur

Reaction score
I also have unlimited data but when at the office or at home I use wifi, because the carrier gives me unlimited data does not mean I need to be an ahole about it, can you tell me what you are trying to prove. The reason I like the unlimited data option is the peace of mind, that's all, I have had unlimited data since it's inception, and only went over 3 gigs one time. Unlimited data on smartphones was intended to be used for the smartphone not to compensate for home data services. Now no one is telling you or anyone else what to stream or how much in your unlimited data on your smartphone, but when there is wifi available and you don't use it to spite the company, it just makes you look childish, but I could be wrong and you are a child. At the end of the day, nothing is free, get used to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

As far as your last sentence.......well I "pay" for the service. Your right.....it isn't free. I am confused on that one. I am not trying to get something for free.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personal attacks will result in punitive action.
Keep it on topic please

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I love how this thread went from VZW's contact ditching petition to people being aholes for using unlimited data as it was meant to be used (i.e. Without limitation). Me personally, I don't care what Verizon does as long as I can keep my unlimited data and our price status the same. I do like the addition of the device payment plan, even though I think the $2 finance fee is a bit stupid.

jseah

Reaction score
I do like the addition of the device payment plan, even though I think the $2 finance fee is a bit stupid.

If you purchase a $600 phone (ignoring sales tax), it basically comes out to be a 4% interest rate. And it is slightly different from the T-Mobile plan. With T-Mobile, you pay $150 up front and you pay off the remainder over 2 years. With Verizon, you can "finance" the entire cost, but you have to pay it off in 1 year.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If you purchase a $600 phone (ignoring sales tax), it basically comes out to be a 4% interest rate. And it is slightly different from the T-Mobile plan. With T-Mobile, you pay $150 up front and you pay off the remainder over 2 years. With Verizon, you can "finance" the entire cost, but you have to pay it off in 1 year.

Yep. $24 added to what the phone costs, not including tax, over a 12 month period. In addition to what your contract costs. That sucks, but at least you're not paying for it out right. And it doesn't affect your current plan.

Edit: after some calculations I've come up with this: using a $749 phone as a base price, I've concluded that you would be paying roughly $100 more for the phone after taxes and the finance fee. So, saving up and buying out right would be the best option. But at least Big Red is giving us the option, even if it is lining their pockets.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep. $24 added to what the phone costs, not including tax, over a 12 month period. In addition to what your contract costs. That sucks, but at least you're not paying for it out right. And it doesn't affect your current plan.

Edit: after some calculations I've come up with this: using a $749 phone as a base price, I've concluded that you would be paying roughly $100 more for the phone after taxes and the finance fee. So, saving up and buying out right would be the best option. But at least Big Red is giving us the option, even if it is lining their pockets.

Indeed and financing it for 100 extra isn't terribly bad considering how expensive electronics are at the rent to own type places. If you reeeeeeaaaaaally want that new phone and you can afford your monthly plan plus the new payment and keep unlimited it is at least an alternative to trying to buy someone's upgrade, which works well if you can find someone.

I bought my mother and her boyfriend two phones they wanted brand new in box from eBay for 200 then used their available upgrade to get my note 2 and got it for 180, thankfully they wanted feature phones so it all worked out. If consider the payment plan, for the right phone only.

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I agree wholeheartedly. Since Verizon announced the subsidized upgrade change, I've put a little aside out of each check for the 'next big thing.' Ready now to make my purchase and May 30th, it's gonna happen.

huskur

Reaction score
Personal attacks will result in punitive action.
Keep it on topic please

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
None of my posts were direct personal attacks. Only opinions. When I said "ahole" in the post I am sure you are referring to it was meant for "anyone" using someone elses network besides verizons for their "verizon" device.

_33

Reaction score
My worst fears with all this new VZW plan crap has come true. I have 4 smartphones and use VZW as my home line which was ported over. My wife and 2 kids are now really using their devices like they should have. Streaming, news, weather, mp3's via Google Music streaming, etc...

My friend has a T-Mo Note 2. He gets NO service in my home at all. So, my master plan of leaving has fallen through. I'm stuck with VZW and the 30.00 per line unlimited charge for good. I use anywhere from 1gb to 15gb a month and the other 3 lines are between 2gb and 6gb a month. I have no other option but to keep paying the unlimited fee's. I assume their usage will go up as mine did the more I utilized the device for my needs.

I have 3 lines past the 2 year marks and would love to get a new phone. I just can't risk having to worry about data usage to ditch the unlimited. I seems unfair to back your loyal customers (13 years for us) into a corner where we have to choose between an affordable phone with a 2 year contract or month to month and shelling out 600.00 per device. Last time I was in the VZW store, the guy said what I'm paying now is actually better for me than pooled data. I do not use WiFi anywhere and refuse to have that be a concern for 4 people. Life is hectic as it is and I honestly don't want to deal with another worry. Raising your kids and making everyone's quality of life improve are tough enough.

I'm going to start a new account tomorrow at TD Bank. maybe 200.00-300.00 a month to get some new devices for all of us. Hopefully I can get something back for my other phones to put back in to bolster the account. It's 2013 and this stuff is way to complicated these days.

_33

Reaction score
Dear Lord... I thought for a second that the VZW guy was wrong when he told me with our usage that the unlimited was a much better deal. Without the taxes or other thief fee's my account would be $415.00 a month... for 4 smart phones and our home line which is a feature phone to them.

I'm a little over $300.00 a month now with limited minutes. We don't use anywhere near our allotted minutes and have an app that can make calls via WiFi or 4G if I know I'm gonna be on for an hour or so. It's $300.00 a month for 40gb. We use, on average now, around 28gb a month. So, 40gb would give me a nice buffer to ease my mind.

It's actually nice knowing they can't possibly try to sell me on it when I go in next.

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
My worst fears with all this new VZW plan crap has come true. I have 4 smartphones and use VZW as my home line which was ported over. My wife and 2 kids are now really using their devices like they should have. Streaming, news, weather, mp3's via Google Music streaming, etc...

My friend has a T-Mo Note 2. He gets NO service in my home at all. So, my master plan of leaving has fallen through. I'm stuck with VZW and the 30.00 per line unlimited charge for good. I use anywhere from 1gb to 15gb a month and the other 3 lines are between 2gb and 6gb a month. I have no other option but to keep paying the unlimited fee's. I assume their usage will go up as mine did the more I utilized the device for my needs.

I have 3 lines past the 2 year marks and would love to get a new phone. I just can't risk having to worry about data usage to ditch the unlimited. I seems unfair to back your loyal customers (13 years for us) into a corner where we have to choose between an affordable phone with a 2 year contract or month to month and shelling out 600.00 per device. Last time I was in the VZW store, the guy said what I'm paying now is actually better for me than pooled data. I do not use WiFi anywhere and refuse to have that be a concern for 4 people. Life is hectic as it is and I honestly don't want to deal with another worry. Raising your kids and making everyone's quality of life improve are tough enough.

I'm going to start a new account tomorrow at TD Bank. maybe 200.00-300.00 a month to get some new devices for all of us. Hopefully I can get something back for my other phones to put back in to bolster the account. It's 2013 and this stuff is way to complicated these days.

You could put the money you save from not using pooled data aside for unsubsidized phones.

_33

Reaction score
You could put the money you save from not using pooled data aside for unsubsidized phones.

Yes I could! Didn't even think of that factoring in.

I think I just need to realize that in order for us to have what we need it's going to cost me $400.00 a month. My oldest son is 19 and wants his own plan, but wants the unlimited data. He's been insisting that he pay his own part of the bill, but he's starting college and working as much as he can and I don't mind paying it for him. He's a good kid and although it's a small gesture from us, I know he appreciates it. Even if VZW would just drop each line 15.00 after you complete your contract I would be happy. The fact that I pay for subsidizing forever while other people get new phones every 2 years sucks. They could just make the effort to NOT rip me off... or just pretend not to. It's basically a punishment for keeping my unlimited.

They really need to change this.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

I think I just need to realize that in order for us to have what we need it's going to cost me $400.00 a month. My oldest son is 19 and wants his own plan, but wants the unlimited data. He's been insisting that he pay his own part of the bill, but he's starting college and working as much as he can and I don't mind paying it for him. He's a good kid and although it's a small gesture from us, I know he appreciates it. Even if VZW would just drop each line 15.00 after you complete your contract I would be happy. The fact that I pay for subsidizing forever while other people get new phones every 2 years sucks. They could just make the effort to NOT rip me off... or just pretend not to. It's basically a punishment for keeping my unlimited.

Sadly they won't because they want you to drop unlimited and they will do whatever it takes to force everyone one off without actually taking it from us. At least the customer service guy you talked to didn't lie

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

Couldn't you open a new account for your son if he's not already falling under you? Put him on a plan that's inexpensive and covers what he needs. If you're already on a plan together, then as said above just buy your phone elsewhere and bring it in. You can pick up a new-in-box GSIII or something like that for not too much.

That said, once T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular get their act together on coverage it's probably adios VZ for me if there's a device that I just have to have.