VZW Petition to Ditch Contracts Nears 100k; Verizon Offers Expensive Payment Plans

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
that wouldn't surprise me, I also wouldn't be surprised if verizon doesn't care and eventually takes my unlimited.

Doubtful. I'd be curious as to how many unlimited users they even have left - I don't see people clinging to their unlimited data like they do guns :) I suspect most people don't really need unlimited data, and the subsidized phone makes keeping it prohibitively expensive. Others may have already found value in the new shared plans. Others may switch carriers (though VZW has very low turn). And depending on how VoLTE works and what VZW does with it, still more may go to a tiered plan.

There's a lot VZW could do if they really had enough heavy unlimited users left to matter. For all the whining, the only real thing of significance they've done is eliminate the subsidy for unlimited users. It's noteable to me they took that path as opposed to raising the actual $30/mo price. I remember all the nervous nellies here predicting price hikes or eliminating unlimited all together when VZW launched LTE. The bark has clearly been worse than the bite, and most of the barking has been imagined.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Doubtful. I'd be curious as to how many unlimited users they even have left - I don't see people clinging to their unlimited data like they do guns :) I suspect most people don't really need unlimited data, and the subsidized phone makes keeping it prohibitively expensive. Others may have already found value in the new shared plans. Others may switch carriers (though VZW has very low turn). And depending on how VoLTE works and what VZW does with it, still more may go to a tiered plan.

There's a lot VZW could do if they really had enough heavy unlimited users left to matter. For all the whining, the only real thing of significance they've done is eliminate the subsidy for unlimited users. It's noteable to me they took that path as opposed to raising the actual $30/mo price. I remember all the nervous nellies here predicting price hikes or eliminating unlimited all together when VZW launched LTE. The bark has clearly been worse than the bite, and most of the barking has been imagined.

I still have my unlimited. So does my mom. I'm not giving it up without a fight, either. And I refuse to let my mom do so. And I cling to my guns pretty tightly, also. :)

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
To date I've spent close to 15,000 grand supporting Verizon's development. That's my stupidity. Noone else's. But for that kind of cash, I can be picky and have certain expectations.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Whoa, buddy, don't come in here presenting the big picture! You're going to make us all realize that we're paying a couple grand or so a year just for a little device who's extra cost is just so we can use it as a toy =p

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ill tell you this... my cell service/phone is no where near my most expensive toy! Ha

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I pay $80 (plus about $12 taxes - shall we have a REAL discussion about gouging?) per month for cell service (that I absolutely need) and for data/text service I had no need for up until a few years ago.

I like the convenience of mobile data. If I was broke, it would be the first thing to go (well, technically I could probably ditch cable first).

But I haven't had a landline phone in years. That saves me like $30-$40 a month, which covers the voice part of my plan. Sure, I pay $1k a year to VZW, but half of that is simply a luxury, especially considering how much access I have to wifi.

I really do not get the complaining about what VZW charges. What never ceases to amaze me is how many people pay for a service they appear unable to afford. Welcome to America.

jseah

Reaction score
Here's where my family stands. We have 1400 shared minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data on 5 smartphone lines. With my 21 percent corporate discount on the voice and text, and the $20 per line data discount from the Talk Text and Data discount, and adding taxes plus insurance on all 5 lines, I am paying about $250 per month. We use around 9 GB per month combined, so we would need to go to the 10 GB share plan if we switched. However, if we did switch, we would gain unlimited minutes (which we don't need since we average only around 600 minutes per month) and we would lose the Talk Text and Data discount, but we would gain subsidized handsets. The problem is that I have already done the math and the deal breaker is losing the Talk Text and Data discount. Losing that would increase our bill, as it stands today, by about $100 per month. And that is assuming that we will never use more data in the future than we do today. Over the course of a 2-year contract, that means we would pay $2,400 more. When you work that out over 5 lines, that is $480 per line, which more than covers the handset subsidy. So for me, it works out better to pay full retail and keep unlimited data.

IN AWE

Reaction score
Here's where my family stands. We have 1400 shared minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data on 5 smartphone lines. With my 21 percent corporate discount on the voice and text, and the $20 per line data discount from the Talk Text and Data discount, and adding taxes plus insurance on all 5 lines, I am paying about $250 per month. We use around 9 GB per month combined, so we would need to go to the 10 GB share plan if we switched. However, if we did switch, we would gain unlimited minutes (which we don't need since we average only around 600 minutes per month) and we would lose the Talk Text and Data discount, but we would gain subsidized handsets. The problem is that I have already done the math and the deal breaker is losing the Talk Text and Data discount. Losing that would increase our bill, as it stands today, by about $100 per month. And that is assuming that we will never use more data in the future than we do today. Over the course of a 2-year contract, that means we would pay $2,400 more. When you work that out over 5 lines, that is $480 per line, which more than covers the handset subsidy. So for me, it works out better to pay full retail and keep unlimited data.

I have almost the identical scenario. The Talk and Text Plus Data discount is where I am saving. That deal is good until 2038 so I'm keeping it until it makes more sense to move to another plan.

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
3 steps to mega profits and unhappy customers

1. move people off unlimited data
2. remove SD card slots
3. move apps and storage to the cloud

all 3 steps are happening, and it's not so much about limits today, but next year or the year after as more and more streaming/cloud access becomes required.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
3 steps to mega profits and unhappy customers

1. move people off unlimited data
2. remove SD card slots
3. move apps and storage to the cloud

all 3 steps are happening, and it's not so much about limits today, but next year or the year after as more and more streaming/cloud access becomes required.

Exactly.. Its insane to put limits on data, and yet expect consumers to transfer data to and from a cloud... Its simple to tell that they are hoping to make a boat load of money from data overages.. At least that what it appears like to me.

Mom n dad might not use a lot of data, or perhaps they do... But son and daughter definitely will... As they learn what smartphones are capable of..

And mom and dad if they're smart, will not want transactions made from an unsecured wifi network.. So that will limit jumping free wifi when it's available..

After thought and unrelated...

What I find odd, is in Europe you can wash your car or buy a soda and pay from your phone... Idk if you still can, but last I knew you could...

Then again, there are lots of people in America that get a cell phone and then don't pay their bills....

Last edited:

skennelly

Reaction score

They sort of did raise the price of the unlimited plan. If you figure that $15-20 of your monthly bill paid for the other portion of the discounted phone, then buying a new phone without the subsidy plus the same monthly rate means the unlimited data plan now costs $45-50/month.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They sort of did raise the price of the unlimited plan. If you figure that $15-20 of your monthly bill paid for the other portion of the discounted phone, then buying a new phone without the subsidy plus the same monthly rate means the unlimited data plan now costs $45-50/month.

Yes, but technically they took away a perk. I expect VZW to eventually get out of the subsidy business altogether. I think all carriers would. Not being able to lock phones will accelerate that.

As for the $15-$20 per month they save, assuming most unlimited users are the heavy users (otherwise it doesn't really make sense to keep unlimited)...realize a few years ago they were paying like $3.30 per subscriber to the cable companies for access. I assume the actual bandwidth used affects what the cable companies would charge. Without launching into a discussion about how unlimited mobile plans hurt revenues for the pipe providers, it just stands to reason that someone using 5-6X what the average user does is costing VZW 5-6X that for access. I mean, it's easy to assume the data usage only costs VZW pennies for the electricity, but there are other impacts on variable costs as well.

I don't think most people realize that the mobile data service VZW provides isn't internet, but connecting you with an internet provider. And it's direct competition with those cable companies own broadband service, and even indirectly via content with their cable service. They aren't going to sit on their thumbs and lose business without raising what they charge VZW.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly.. Its insane to put limits on data, and yet expect consumers to transfer data to and from a cloud..

I don't know if that's the expectation. They are providing a service, and one if people like might lead them to purchase more expensive plans. Common upsell technique. Also, I think you can set it to sync only via wifi.

VZW doesn't want to gouge people on expensive overages. It's bad business. They want people to pay for the plan they need - that's why it's so very easy to change and prorate plans intramonth.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, but technically they took away a perk. I expect VZW to eventually get out of the subsidy business altogether. I think all carriers would. Not being able to lock phones will accelerate that.

As for the $15-$20 per month they save, assuming most unlimited users are the heavy users (otherwise it doesn't really make sense to keep unlimited)...realize a few years ago they were paying like $3.30 per subscriber to the cable companies for access. I assume the actual bandwidth used affects what the cable companies would charge. Without launching into a discussion about how unlimited mobile plans hurt revenues for the pipe providers, it just stands to reason that someone using 5-6X what the average user does is costing VZW 5-6X that for access. I mean, it's easy to assume the data usage only costs VZW pennies for the electricity, but there are other impacts on variable costs as well.

I don't think most people realize that the mobile data service VZW provides isn't internet, but connecting you with an internet provider. And it's direct competition with those cable companies own broadband service, and even indirectly via content with their cable service. They aren't going to sit on their thumbs and lose business without raising what they charge VZW.

cable companies, xfinity cox warner etc do have soft limits on line usage, i.e. 250 gb limit for xfinity, which they don't seem to impose, I don't get it. Why doesn't vzw then offer higher limits as well? If they are paying the same companies for cable that we are at a much much lower rate then why such ridiculously low tiers?

What your saying is basically whether I'm on wifi at home or vzw on my phone I'm using the same provider then make the limits similar regardless.

VZW knows tiers will cost the customers more and raise their revenue, in the end it isn't about taking care of their customers but about making as much money as possible and raising their profits.

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II