Verizon Officially Announces Their Edge Upgrade Program With Few Details

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Well turns out I was right..... Fran Shammo, the CFO of Verizon, said very plainly “We will not touch our service pricing” In other words they aren't looking to save anyone any money, which makes total sense to me. I don't like it mind you, but I understand it :)

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Well all this talk is interesting ...I will just do it the old fashion way ...save my money buy any phone I please from anywhere I want ..keep unlimited until you pry my plan from my cold hands ..if you want a phone make sure you got the cash ...that's my motto ..once you start with renting and paying over 2 yrs you are asking for trouble ...just my .02 but unless you're on a shared plan already and don't mind keeping.your phone 2 yrs save your money ..spend it on something else more worthwhile..we are always wanting the next best thing ..let's have some patience for once haha ..or extra cash .and Verizon will not lower plans bc you bought full retail ..they paid the manufacturers the price per phone way in advance and we are all paying the price every month ..accept.or.eject ...lol

N2 tap'd HD

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
"You can upgrade every 6 months, so long as you've paid off 50% of the phone". Ouch. VZW would make a nice bit of change on that. If you upgrade every year, it's more of a fair trade, but VZW still pockets your subsidy.

But if you think in terms of supply & demand, it HAS to be more expensive than the alternative or everyone would go for the new phones and VZW wouldn't be able to sell all the used handsets turning over. Similarly, what if one of their program choices absolutely flops? VZW would end-up eating 50% on all those. But they are pocketing the subsidy, so they wouldn't lose that much.

As someone on unlimited, I'm hoping VZW flips these phones for a reasonable amount because it would be convenient and self-assured to just buy a 6-month refurb/certified phone from VZW.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well turns out I was right..... Fran Shammo, the CFO of Verizon, said very plainly “We will not touch our service pricing” In other words they aren't looking to save anyone any money, which makes total sense to me. I don't like it mind you, but I understand it :)

But technically people should still be entitled to a subsidized phone every 2 years. That probably won't happen, or maybe it would if you sign the different contract after 2 years.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
But technically people should still be entitled to a subsidized phone every 2 years. That probably won't happen, or maybe it would if you sign the different contract after 2 years.

Maybe they'll allow you to go back onto a traditional contract after the 50%/6 month thing is covered...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, I've seen mixed info on this - do you have to have an eligible upgrade to do this? Or can you just start it whenever?

equake

Reaction score
Also, I've seen mixed info on this - do you have to have an eligible upgrade to do this? Or can you just start it whenever?

Doesn't seem like you can start whenever. Isn't it a whole new plan without a contract

So either you start with it or upgrade when your contract ends.

My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like you can start whenever. Isn't it a whole new plan without a contract

So either you start with it or upgrade when your contract ends.

My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That makes sense... not sure why I would've thought otherwise. :blink:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe they'll allow you to go back onto a traditional contract after the 50%/6 month thing is covered...

Sounds like all that really matters is they get at least their 50%. You want to trade-in after 1 mo? I'm sure they'll accomodate you and make coin. And if you wait 18 months then you've paid 75% and they'll still break-even (before even considering the subsidy they saved).

It's a month-to-month contract with the ETF expressed as 50% of the sales price. So if after 6 months you want to sign the traditional 2-yr contract you just have to give them a lump sum for 6 more months of payments (plus the upfront for your new phone).

It's not complicated, just expensive.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you've got unlimited data I'd bet the farm they'll bend over backwards to get you onto the new plan starting yesterday.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
If you've got unlimited data I'd bet the farm they'll bend over backwards to get you onto the new plan starting yesterday.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Quite sure you'll have the farm for quite some time.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

jseah

Reaction score
Correct, or pay the bill in full. However, the question is whether they will reduce the cost of the service because they aren't "subsidizing" your phone anymore. That will be the telling tale.

Actually, T-Mobile is increasing the cost of service when they don't subsidize your phone. T-Mobile charges $10 a month extra to participate in their program. That is on top of the monthly cost of the phone and the down payment on the phone.

jseah

Reaction score
Sounds like all that really matters is they get at least their 50%. You want to trade-in after 1 mo? I'm sure they'll accomodate you and make coin. And if you wait 18 months then you've paid 75% and they'll still break-even (before even considering the subsidy they saved).

It's a month-to-month contract with the ETF expressed as 50% of the sales price. So if after 6 months you want to sign the traditional 2-yr contract you just have to give them a lump sum for 6 more months of payments (plus the upfront for your new phone).

It's not complicated, just expensive.

Seems like you would be better off replacing the device right at the 50% point. If you hold onto the device and keep making payments and then upgrade later, then you will have overpaid since you're at the same point regardless of whether you have paid off 50%, 75% or even 99% of the device.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, T-Mobile is increasing the cost of service when they don't subsidize your phone. T-Mobile charges $10 a month extra to participate in their program. That is on top of the monthly cost of the phone and the down payment on the phone.

Unless you're paying for insurance already, in which case it's only increasing your bill by $3 for an Android device, and not at all for an iPhone.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
So I called Verizon about this and got some info

So if your currently on a plan. You cannot go to the edge plan unless you upgrade eligible(24 months).
You have to sign a new contract in order to participate in the edge program. You loose your unlimited if you have it.
You have to turn in your phone every time you upgrade(unless its paid for).

Alot of other non sense...

All in all this plan would be good for someone that wants to upgrade x4 every 2 years. I havent done the math or anything though. But if you sell each phone for 250-350, it would equal out to cost the same amount. Unless they charge you $10 a month to be on the edge program, in which case it would be cheap to buy the phones outright.

Either way your going to be out $300 every 6 months for upgrading, The only good thing about the edge plan is that its guaranteed that you get your 300 back to put toward another device. Right now you can buy Used S4's on craigslist for around 400 and they arent that old. In 3 months, i think you would be lucky to get 300 especially if they come out with a more powerful S4 with the Snap 800.

Last edited: