AT&T Introduces 'Next' Plan; Users can Upgrade Their Devices Once Per Year & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 16, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It appears AT&T is following in T-Mobile's footsteps. They just announced a program that is similar to T-Mobile's JUMP service. AT&T's "Next" service allows customers to upgrade their tablets or smartphones once per year. This new plan from AT&T isn't just a response to T-Mobile's JUMP service though. It is also a market reaction to T-Mo's Uncarrier plans. The Next service from AT&T also allows you to trade-in devices, and/or stay off contract. AT&T's Next service will be available for consumers on July 26th. Here's the full press release below. We bolded some of the most important details,

Here's a quick-link directly to their landing page on the new Next plan: AT&T Next - Get A New Phone or Tablet Every Year from AT&T Wireless

2. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Now would be the time Verizon should raise there prices. it would be perfect!

3. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +584
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I think once every other week I mention it, but I honestly believe that we're about to see the Qualcomm RF360 radio chipset.

[TOTAL ASSUMPTION FOLLOWS]

The Moto X is going to hit the shelves at $199-$299 off contract. This WILL push down the price of handsets across the board. Qualcomm has already stated that the RF360 is in production, but no one is saying what phones will use it. Staying on long term contracts isn't as attractive if you can buy your handset for the same price as a subsidized handset AND OWN IT and can freely move from carrier to carrier based on your cell service/plan requirements. The networks of each carrier are improving daily. Really, the only thing that carriers can do to retain customers is to provide good coverage, a reasonable plan, and the promise of always getting the latest and greatest.

A key component is the RF360 chipset. Unless people can take their phone to whatever carrier they want the same old business model will hold true, but if people can pay month to month and drop carriers on a whim the carriers had better start changing how they keep you on their network.

Are we seeing a sea change in how carriers do business?

Just thinking out loud and seeing what everyone thinks.

#3 Dusty, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,904
    Basically this is moving money around. That $20 a month I am paying ATT/vzw/Tmobile/ (later sprint) I can pay myself. This is how this works.

You buy a phone and since you know in 1-2 years you are going to want to buy another so you save 40-50 bucks a month that you save yourself and put in your own bank account and if you decide to buy a new phone in a year pay the cash if not keep it in YOUR bank.

But i understand the carriers strategy they see t-mobile coming up with all these cool ideas and they are having to respond to appease their customer base.

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    True, and I look forward to that day. However, I don't remotely expect a high-end phone to retail for $300.

I have unlimited, anyway. My Rezound still runs very solid, although after 18 months I am starting to itch a little to upgrade. But I want lots of storage, and a min of 2gigs ram. I have mixed feelings about the latest processors (I think it's overkill) and I might wai to see which provides best battery life since I don't really push the processor.

Honestly, in 6 months I might just grabbed a used S4. Although I keep saying I'm trying not to dump more money into a phone until I know what will happen with VoLTE and grandfathered unlimited plans. I'd hate to pay retail a month before being forced off unlimited, or deciding that unlimited VoLTE is too good to pass up.

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Define "approved credit".

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

7. Rodimus4180

Rodimus4180 Member

Ratings:
    +6
  8. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    So let me get this straight. You pay on it for 12 months and then you have to turn it in? LOL!!!
    Those monthly payments better be very very low if that's the case. The math should work out that in 12 months its 50% paid off. Otherwise its a total ripoff. Paying off a phone and then you have to turn it in? What a great business model that is for AT&T. SMH

9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Isn't that essentially a lease...not much different than a car lease? Wonder if there will be "adjustments" to the contract for phones with damage... :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    This "deal" from AT&T can't even be compared to a lease. This is simply a sneaky way of getting more money from customer's who are impatient for a newer device. This offer from AT&T is nothing but a ripoff.

11. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,904
    [​IMG]

What you thought ATT put this out there to help the customers. No they are trying to get paid while proving they can be more money hungry than big brother red. The only thing that surprise me about this is that verizon didnt come up with the idea of doing that first. Im betting Vzw ceos are thinking "why didnt we come up with that, hey you the guy that came up with our edge plan. You're fired".

[​IMG]

12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    Theoretically it won't be that bad for the subscriber, assuming AT&T/VZW are basically facilitating the sort of swap people do with EBAY and other places.

Difference is they'll get more for the used phones as "certified new" and guaranteed than you could ever see on EBAY. Look at how much their refurb phones go for...absolute rip-off - LOL, a certified pre-owned Droid Incredible 4G is $350 ($99 on contract).

I mean, I might pay an extra $50 for the guarantees, but that phone is going for $150-$200 on EBAY!

Search tags for this page

att next plan for current users

can you join the next plan at at&t if not due for upgrade

forums att next plan

t-mobile vs att droid forums