AT&T Introduces 'Next' Plan; Users can Upgrade Their Devices Once Per Year & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ATT-next.jpg

It appears AT&T is following in T-Mobile's footsteps. They just announced a program that is similar to T-Mobile's JUMP service. AT&T's "Next" service allows customers to upgrade their tablets or smartphones once per year. This new plan from AT&T isn't just a response to T-Mobile's JUMP service though. It is also a market reaction to T-Mo's Uncarrier plans. The Next service from AT&T also allows you to trade-in devices, and/or stay off contract. AT&T's Next service will be available for consumers on July 26th. Here's the full press release below. We bolded some of the most important details,

AT&T Customers Can Get a New Smartphone or Tablet Every Year With No Down Payment With "AT&T Next"

No Down Payment, No Upgrade or Activation Fees, and All On The Nation’s Fastest 4G LTE Network AT&T 4G LTE Now Covers More than 225 Million People
Dallas, Texas, July 16, 2013

Share:
Today, AT&T* introduces what’s next in wireless. Beginning nationwide on July 26, consumers can get a new AT&T smartphone or tablet every year with no down payment, no activation fee, no upgrade fee and no financing fees.**

With AT&T Next, customers purchase a smartphone or tablet with no down payment and agree to pay monthly installments for the device. After 12 payments, they can trade it in and upgrade to a brand new device — again with no down payment — or they can keep using their device and have no more payments after 20 months. AT&T Next is available for new AT&T customers or existing customers who are upgrade eligible.

“With AT&T Next, customers can get the newest smartphone or tablet every year with no down payment. That’s hard to beat, and it’s an incredible value for customers who want the latest and greatest every year,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and chief executive officer of AT&T Mobility.

AT&T’s 4G LTE network now covers more than 225 million people nationwide and 328 markets. AT&T’s 4G LTE deployment is expected to cover 300 million people by year-end 2014, with nearly 90 percent of the build completed by the end of this year.

The great performance of AT&T’s network continues to be validated by independent third-party testing. AT&T 4G LTE service was recognized as having faster average download and upload speeds than any of our competitors in PCWorld/TechHive’s most recent 20-market speed tests — the second consecutive year that AT&T has ranked first overall. PCWorld/TechHive also ranked AT&T’s as the fastest combination of 3G and 4G services in the 20 cities it tested.*** And AT&T was named America’s fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine’s 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study — and also swept the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest.****

AT&T Next is available for any current smartphone or tablet in AT&T’s industry-leading selection of devices. The interest-free monthly device installments range from $15 to $50, depending on the device selected. For example, a customer purchasing a Samsung Galaxy® S 4 would have no down payment and pay $32 per month, in addition to the monthly wireless service plan they choose, with the option to trade in their device and upgrade after 12 payments or to keep using the device and pay off the installment plan in full after 20 months. There’s no penalty for paying off the installment plan early.

AT&T offers a broad choice of device purchasing options. In addition to AT&T Next, customers continue to have their choice of all current options, including getting a discounted device with a two-year service commitment; paying full retail price for a device with no-commitment; getting a partial discount for an early upgrade after six months with a two-year service commitment; or bringing their own compatible device.

More information is available at AT&T Next - Get A New Phone or Tablet Every Year from AT&T Wireless or at any AT&T retail store.

*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.

** Requires 20-month 0% APR installment agreement & qualifying credit. Wireless service req. (voice & data for smartphones/data for tablets). If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. Sales tax due at sale. Qualifying devices only. Upgrade after 1 yr.: Req. min. 12 installment payments, acct. in good standing, plus trade-in of current device in good & functional condition & purchase of new device/wireless agreement & service plan. After upgrade remaining unbilled installment payments are waived. AT&T Next available only at AT&T owned retail stores & att.com. If device is returned, restocking fee up to $35 for smartphones or 10% of tablet sales price may apply. Terms subject to change.

*** PCWorld/TechHive, May 23, 2013, “AT&T clocks best overall speeds with 3G/4G combo”

**** PC Magazine, June 17, 2013; Fastest Mobile Networks 2013 | PCMag.com

About AT&T

AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.

Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at AT&T Wireless and Corporate News, Information or follow our news on @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at AT&T - YouTube.

© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.

Here's a quick-link directly to their landing page on the new Next plan: AT&T Next - Get A New Phone or Tablet Every Year from AT&T Wireless

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I think once every other week I mention it, but I honestly believe that we're about to see the Qualcomm RF360 radio chipset.

[TOTAL ASSUMPTION FOLLOWS]

The Moto X is going to hit the shelves at $199-$299 off contract. This WILL push down the price of handsets across the board. Qualcomm has already stated that the RF360 is in production, but no one is saying what phones will use it. Staying on long term contracts isn't as attractive if you can buy your handset for the same price as a subsidized handset AND OWN IT and can freely move from carrier to carrier based on your cell service/plan requirements. The networks of each carrier are improving daily. Really, the only thing that carriers can do to retain customers is to provide good coverage, a reasonable plan, and the promise of always getting the latest and greatest.

A key component is the RF360 chipset. Unless people can take their phone to whatever carrier they want the same old business model will hold true, but if people can pay month to month and drop carriers on a whim the carriers had better start changing how they keep you on their network.

Are we seeing a sea change in how carriers do business?

Just thinking out loud and seeing what everyone thinks.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Basically this is moving money around. That $20 a month I am paying ATT/vzw/Tmobile/ (later sprint) I can pay myself. This is how this works.

You buy a phone and since you know in 1-2 years you are going to want to buy another so you save 40-50 bucks a month that you save yourself and put in your own bank account and if you decide to buy a new phone in a year pay the cash if not keep it in YOUR bank.

But i understand the carriers strategy they see t-mobile coming up with all these cool ideas and they are having to respond to appease their customer base.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Staying on long term contracts isn't as attractive if you can buy your handset for the same price as a subsidized handset AND OWN IT and can freely move from carrier to carrier based on your cell service/plan requirements.

True, and I look forward to that day. However, I don't remotely expect a high-end phone to retail for $300.

I have unlimited, anyway. My Rezound still runs very solid, although after 18 months I am starting to itch a little to upgrade. But I want lots of storage, and a min of 2gigs ram. I have mixed feelings about the latest processors (I think it's overkill) and I might wai to see which provides best battery life since I don't really push the processor.

Honestly, in 6 months I might just grabbed a used S4. Although I keep saying I'm trying not to dump more money into a phone until I know what will happen with VoLTE and grandfathered unlimited plans. I'd hate to pay retail a month before being forced off unlimited, or deciding that unlimited VoLTE is too good to pass up.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Define "approved credit".

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So let me get this straight. You pay on it for 12 months and then you have to turn it in? LOL!!!
Those monthly payments better be very very low if that's the case. The math should work out that in 12 months its 50% paid off. Otherwise its a total ripoff. Paying off a phone and then you have to turn it in? What a great business model that is for AT&T. SMH

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So let me get this straight. You pay on it for 12 months and then you have to turn it in? LOL!!!
Those monthly payments better be very very low if that's the case. The math should work out that in 12 months its 50% paid off. Otherwise its a total ripoff. Paying off a phone and then you have to turn it in? What a great business model that is for AT&T. SMH

Isn't that essentially a lease...not much different than a car lease? Wonder if there will be "adjustments" to the contract for phones with damage... :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This "deal" from AT&T can't even be compared to a lease. This is simply a sneaky way of getting more money from customer's who are impatient for a newer device. This offer from AT&T is nothing but a ripoff.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

MW-BB000_att_ki_20130401170317_ME.jpg

What you thought ATT put this out there to help the customers. No they are trying to get paid while proving they can be more money hungry than big brother red. The only thing that surprise me about this is that verizon didnt come up with the idea of doing that first. Im betting Vzw ceos are thinking "why didnt we come up with that, hey you the guy that came up with our edge plan. You're fired".

donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Theoretically it won't be that bad for the subscriber, assuming AT&T/VZW are basically facilitating the sort of swap people do with EBAY and other places.

Difference is they'll get more for the used phones as "certified new" and guaranteed than you could ever see on EBAY. Look at how much their refurb phones go for...absolute rip-off - LOL, a certified pre-owned Droid Incredible 4G is $350 ($99 on contract).

I mean, I might pay an extra $50 for the guarantees, but that phone is going for $150-$200 on EBAY!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
MW-BB000_att_ki_20130401170317_ME.jpg

What you thought ATT put this out there to help the customers. No they are trying to get paid while proving they can be more money hungry than big brother red. The only thing that surprise me about this is that verizon didnt come up with the idea of doing that first. Im betting Vzw ceos are thinking "why didnt we come up with that, hey you the guy that came up with our edge plan. You're fired".

donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg

Their only salvation is to make those payments more inline with their subsidized cost BUT of course take in a little extra profit. Let's use some simple math as an example. The HTC MaX on contract is $120.00; customer pays $10.00/month plus a $7.00 "service fee every month" (includes $2.00 subsidy cost plus $5.00 service fee) in 12 months they trade it in for another handset and continue with the same payments assuming phone is the same price.

I'm not sure what the subsidy fee is, but since you are paying it anyway leave it in place and slap on an extra $5.00/month "service fee". If people keep the handset longer all the better.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Their only salvation is to make those payments more inline with their subsidized cost BUT of course take in a little extra profit. Let's use some simple math as an example. The HTC MaX on contract is $120.00; customer pays $10.00/month plus a $7.00 "service fee every month" (includes $2.00 subsidy cost plus $5.00 service fee) in 12 months they trade it in for another handset and continue with the same payments assuming phone is the same price.

I'm not sure what the subsidy fee is, but since you are paying it anyway leave it in place and slap on an extra $5.00/month "service fee". If people keep the handset longer all the better.

Or we as Americans can stop being so materialistic and quick to drop our phone the moment another one comes out. The note 2 works fine for me is it 1080 p no but really I dont care as the videos look awesome and I rarely use my phone to watch whole movies any way. Most of the time I am pulling up a youtube someone sent or to show some one. Dont get me wrong I do see these phone and admire where tech is going but at the end of the day it is still a phone . The note 2 fits perfectly for what I need it for which is a big screen to help with typing, long battery life, and something to jot down notes.

Now I would love to see Samsung release GPE software on the note 2 where the s pen features still work, as aosp rom have failed to perfect that yet. All in all I see no reason to buy another phone this year when I know next year (when my contract ends) there will be a phone even better. So personally I would rather take that $50 a month and put it in my bank account to save for a phone vs putting it in ATT/VZW/TMObile's bank account. Again that is just me though.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This "deal" from AT&T can't even be compared to a lease. This is simply a sneaky way of getting more money from customer's who are impatient for a newer device. This offer from AT&T is nothing but a ripoff.

Some people will be standing in line to get ripped off. Of course they may have failed in math class too.