Vertical car dock

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? It looks like you can use the Seido dock in vertical mode even though the fine print says this could damage the charging port. Are there any with a built in charging port?

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
None of the Car Docks that I am aware of come with a built-in charger. The Car Dock Motorola makes is amazing imo, you could just... tilt it.

eliassami5

Reaction score
None of the Car Docks that I am aware of come with a built-in charger. The Car Dock Motorola makes is amazing imo, you could just... tilt it.

motorola car dock ftw..dunno why ppl buy from other brands when this is specifically made for our droids. Well if you use a case then you are out of luck with the motorola car dock.

Im pretty sure car dock mode works in landscape as well and portrait mode

GerryG35

Reaction score
I use the Motorola Car Dock in horizontal mode and powered with a cigarette-lighter-powered USB cable. I haven't tried - but I don't see why you couldn't just rotate it 90 degrees. The cable would be fine and I know the car dock menu has a portrait mode.

Does anyone have any experience with the GPS navigation running in portrait mode?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the GPS navigation running in portrait mode?

I have the Motorola dock and it works great, rotates too. Prior to having it, I used the Droid in portrait mode while going to a place I'd not been in a dozen years. The nav works just fine in portrait mode. When I use the nav, I tend to use the traffic view and satellite picture layers on top as well.

For power, I'm going to have a 12v plug installed up behind my rear-view mirror so that I can keep it juiced up while on a long trip. In the interim, I use a cord and just loop it over the rear view mirror and then into the Droid. The Motorola mount I have just to left of the rear-view mirror and just above the ASI tint line on the windshield.

OP
FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
I only use the navigation in portrait mode....that's one of the reasons I want to find a car dock or just make my own.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, here's what I got and really like it:
InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:
I got the custom/permanent mount for my specific vehicle but they have a LOT of options you can use (i.e. vent mount, cup holder, window ect).

motorola car dock ftw..dunno why ppl buy from other brands when this is specifically made for our droids. Well if you use a case then you are out of luck with the motorola car dock.

Several reasons 1) is a window mount which is not goof more many vehicles (not to mention theft) 2) does not work with cases (as you mentioned) 3) it's cheaply built for the price they ask and 4) it's ugly for the price (really... it looks like a cheap Wamalrt mount)

GerryG35

Reaction score

I have the Motorola dock and it works great, rotates too. {snip}
Thanks for the reply and good info.

My car dock is mounted on the windshield as far left and low as possible - close to the driver window and just above the dash. Being left-handed this gives me the best possible "reach and touch" abilities.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and good info.

My car dock is mounted on the windshield as far left and low as possible - close to the driver window and just above the dash. Being left-handed this gives me the best possible "reach and touch" abilities.

I'm leery of thieves, so I mount it up high. The Moto mount is rather robust and meant specifically for the Droid. I'm not a fan of the universal ones as they are too bulk for my taste.

This Moto one spins 360 and also can be notched up or down, allowing you to mount it as close to the window as you want. Once the 12v plug gets put in, it'll be just what I wanted.

cuskit

Reaction score
OP, here's what I got and really like it:
InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:
I got the custom/permanent mount for my specific vehicle but they have a LOT of options you can use (i.e. vent mount, cup holder, window ect).

Several reasons 1) is a window mount which is not goof more many vehicles (not to mention theft) 2) does not work with cases (as you mentioned) 3) it's cheaply built for the price they ask and 4) it's ugly for the price (really... it looks like a cheap Wamalrt mount)
I'm 100% with Warrior here! I bought from this company also - their stuff is top quality! I use the cup holder mount with swivel attachment. My F150 doesn't really have any spot that I wanted to mount, and the console cupholder was perfect, plus the accessory 12v in dash charger lines up perfectly behind it. And I still have the cigarette lighter for other charging (iPod). Yikes! Don't throw stones at me now! :icon_ banana:

I like being able to swivel it both ways as long highway rides show more in portrait, while city driving I like landscape. Maybe I dance to a different drum.. ) mike

seang

Reaction score
i have a motorola cardock, had an elcheapo and chunked it.

i also have a parrot bluetooth installed.

i ran a USB cable up the back of my headunit, and out a corner for the install. here are pics:

10024779669681.jpg

10024819618973.jpg

10024839588204.jpg

10024869557125.jpg

Last edited:

GerryG35

Reaction score
i have a motorola cardock, had an elcheapo and chunked it.

i ran a USB cable up the back of my headunit, and out a corner for the install. here are pics:

{snipped}

Had to comment on what a great installation job you did. Looks great and your photos are amazingly good also.

Reaction score

10024779669681.jpg

That is exactly what I want to do, just from the top, above the rear-view mirror. I'm just a few miles north of Cuba and the sun is brutal on adhesives. Stuff on the dash never sticks for long.

Did you have the Parrot prior to the Droid? I'm curious as to why you would need one if you ran bluetooth to the stereo. I sometimes bypass my SuperTooth3 and pipe in the phone if I'm on a long drive with highway noise and such.

seang

Reaction score

That is exactly what I want to do, just from the top, above the rear-view mirror. I'm just a few miles north of Cuba and the sun is brutal on adhesives. Stuff on the dash never sticks for long.

Did you have the Parrot prior to the Droid? I'm curious as to why you would need one if you ran bluetooth to the stereo. I sometimes bypass my SuperTooth3 and pipe in the phone if I'm on a long drive with highway noise and such.
i bought the parrot after. not sure i understand the question, the car had no built in bluetooth.
i wanted bluetooth audio, and bluetooth handsfree.

Reaction score
i bought the parrot after. not sure i understand the question, the car had no built in bluetooth.
i wanted bluetooth audio, and bluetooth handsfree.

I was wondering why you needed the Parrot with a Droid if the Droid is bluetoothed to your stereo. My wife has an Odyssey Touring and it has the stereo bluetooth, no need for a hands free. With the droid bluetoothed to your stereo, wouldn't this negate the need for a Parrot?