1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Vertical car dock

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by FSRBIKER, Mar 6, 2010.

1. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER New Member

Is there such a thing? It looks like you can use the Seido dock in vertical mode even though the fine print says this could damage the charging port. Are there any with a built in charging port?
  2. unix.punkx

unix.punkx New Member

None of the Car Docks that I am aware of come with a built-in charger. The Car Dock Motorola makes is amazing imo, you could just... tilt it.
  3. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

motorola car dock ftw..dunno why ppl buy from other brands when this is specifically made for our droids. Well if you use a case then you are out of luck with the motorola car dock.

Im pretty sure car dock mode works in landscape as well and portrait mode
  4. GerryG35

GerryG35 New Member

I use the Motorola Car Dock in horizontal mode and powered with a cigarette-lighter-powered USB cable. I haven't tried - but I don't see why you couldn't just rotate it 90 degrees. The cable would be fine and I know the car dock menu has a portrait mode.

Does anyone have any experience with the GPS navigation running in portrait mode?
  5. must_i_register

must_i_register New Member

I have the Motorola dock and it works great, rotates too. Prior to having it, I used the Droid in portrait mode while going to a place I'd not been in a dozen years. The nav works just fine in portrait mode. When I use the nav, I tend to use the traffic view and satellite picture layers on top as well.

For power, I'm going to have a 12v plug installed up behind my rear-view mirror so that I can keep it juiced up while on a long trip. In the interim, I use a cord and just loop it over the rear view mirror and then into the Droid. The Motorola mount I have just to left of the rear-view mirror and just above the ASI tint line on the windshield.
  6. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER New Member

I only use the navigation in portrait mode....that's one of the reasons I want to find a car dock or just make my own.
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

OP, here's what I got and really like it:
    InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:
    I got the custom/permanent mount for my specific vehicle but they have a LOT of options you can use (i.e. vent mount, cup holder, window ect).

Several reasons 1) is a window mount which is not goof more many vehicles (not to mention theft) 2) does not work with cases (as you mentioned) 3) it's cheaply built for the price they ask and 4) it's ugly for the price (really... it looks like a cheap Wamalrt mount)
  8. GerryG35

GerryG35 New Member

Thanks for the reply and good info.

My car dock is mounted on the windshield as far left and low as possible - close to the driver window and just above the dash. Being left-handed this gives me the best possible "reach and touch" abilities.
  9. must_i_register

I'm leery of thieves, so I mount it up high. The Moto mount is rather robust and meant specifically for the Droid. I'm not a fan of the universal ones as they are too bulk for my taste.

This Moto one spins 360 and also can be notched up or down, allowing you to mount it as close to the window as you want. Once the 12v plug gets put in, it'll be just what I wanted.
  10. cuskit

cuskit New Member

I'm 100% with Warrior here! I bought from this company also - their stuff is top quality! I use the cup holder mount with swivel attachment. My F150 doesn't really have any spot that I wanted to mount, and the console cupholder was perfect, plus the accessory 12v in dash charger lines up perfectly behind it. And I still have the cigarette lighter for other charging (iPod). Yikes! Don't throw stones at me now! :icon_ banana:

I like being able to swivel it both ways as long highway rides show more in portrait, while city driving I like landscape. Maybe I dance to a different drum.. ) mike
  11. seang

seang New Member

i have a motorola cardock, had an elcheapo and chunked it.

i also have a parrot bluetooth installed.

i ran a USB cable up the back of my headunit, and out a corner for the install. here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  12. GerryG35

GerryG35 New Member

Had to comment on what a great installation job you did. Looks great and your photos are amazingly good also.
  13. must_i_register

That is exactly what I want to do, just from the top, above the rear-view mirror. I'm just a few miles north of Cuba and the sun is brutal on adhesives. Stuff on the dash never sticks for long.

Did you have the Parrot prior to the Droid? I'm curious as to why you would need one if you ran bluetooth to the stereo. I sometimes bypass my SuperTooth3 and pipe in the phone if I'm on a long drive with highway noise and such.
  14. seang

seang New Member

i bought the parrot after. not sure i understand the question, the car had no built in bluetooth.
    i wanted bluetooth audio, and bluetooth handsfree.
  15. must_i_register

I was wondering why you needed the Parrot with a Droid if the Droid is bluetoothed to your stereo. My wife has an Odyssey Touring and it has the stereo bluetooth, no need for a hands free. With the droid bluetoothed to your stereo, wouldn't this negate the need for a Parrot?
  16. cuskit

cuskit New Member

What is the Parrot? I'm curious - never saw one of those before.. mike
  17. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

I hadn't either but Google is so amazing:wink:
    http://www.parrotshopping.com/us/p_parrot_item.aspx?i=172836

A bit expensive though... for that same price you can get an aftermarket head-unit that has all those features/abilities and more. But there are those who don't (or can't) loose their OEM head-unit so it's a good alternative for some.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. takeshi

takeshi New Member

ProClip's Droid mounts can rotate and there are options for power. They're not cheap but I've always used them in my cars and highly recommend them.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.a...d=&parent_category=4&d_pcat=13420&d_cat=17970

You do need a vehicle mount in addition to the device mount. I'd suggest checking out Panavise's brackets instead of ProClip's vehicle mounts.

Doesn't have a built-in charger though.

Another reason for not going with Motorola's car dock: I didn't want a windshield mount.

Motorola's docks aren't the only ones specifically made for the Droid.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  19. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Warrior,

What is Google? :icon_ devil:

Thanks - just felt lazy this morning. ;) Actually it was a reflex to type the question.

Very expensive! I have many other destinations to send my bucks! :icon_ banana: But thank you very much for the reply as well as the link! I'd like to be driving that convertible myself right now rather than the job I'm in the middle of (don't ask).

I'm wondering if some day one of these car manufacturers will "mirror" our cellphone screens on the in dash screen (such as the built-in GPS). Kind of like placing the phone in a dock (perhaps in a center console, etc) out of view - and you then see your phone on the screen, and have steering wheel control of all phone functions (all sound running through the cars sound system). Or voice control et al... Maybe 5 years down the road or less? :) mike
  20. seang

seang New Member

mines not mounted on the windshield.