Droid X Car Dock - Charge only with Moto car charger?

strollin

Reaction score
When I use my Droid X in the Car Dock and plug in a car charger to the usb port on the back, the phone does not charge (the phone charges fine with the car charger plugged directly into the phone). Does the dock only work with the Motorola car charger or is my dock defective?

g34rh34d

Reaction score
When I use my Droid X in the Car Dock and plug in a car charger to the usb port on the back, the phone does not charge (the phone charges fine with the car charger plugged directly into the phone). Does the dock only work with the Motorola car charger or is my dock defective?

My Car dock charges the droid while it is in the dock. Check to see if you have the phone (seated) completely. Also make sure the cord that plugs into the dock itself is plugged in properly. If all those things look right, then I would suggest taking it back for a replacement.

FWIW

OP
S

strollin

Reaction score
Yes, I had already tried the things you suggested. My question was whether Motorola had done something to make it so that only the Motorola charger would charge/power the phone in the dock. If that was the case, I would return the thing since that would have been BS.

I went to the VZW store where I bought the dock. They verified my dock was defective and exchanged it for me. I'm now a happy camper, my phone is powered while in the dock.

tomtapple

Reaction score
Charging Problem

I have got the same problem. the droid does not charge in the dock. docking is recognized as it goes into car dock mode - charger is also lit up so I know that part works. At a loss. Sounds like defective car dock to me. Ugh!:icon_evil:

Sierra Shark

Reaction score
I assume by your post that you are using a factory Motorola dock. If not that could be the problem. I went through 3 docks before finally purchasing a factory Moto dock. My dock works with any charging cord I use. Also I can't tell you the number of people I have run into that had a "skin" on their Droid (not a case or hard cover, just a skin) and that will prevent the phone from porperly seating itself into the charging port. Perahps you could take the dock into a phone store that sells the Droid and have them check it against another Droid they have in stock. Best of luck.