verizons plan to eliminate unlimited data

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I got done talking to a vzw rep but he pretty much laid out in front of me a 4 yr vzw plan to get rid of unlimited data he stated vzw will eliminate all unlimited data plans within 4 yrs stating that vzw believes tiered data is the new norm an better for the people they are going to try an slowly transition it ie. Share everything plans or forcible removal via new contracts by the end of 2016 we all saw how they tried to be sneaky an trick us into leaving our unlimited data they now have conclude to put away the carrot an bring out the stick who plans to stay with vzw now? He also stated that in 1-2 yrs when all 3g devices have been changed to 4g they are going to implement throttling after 5 gigs of data usage also this was from a vzw rep so take it for a grain of salt this has not been confirmed but sounds just like what vzw would do

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Sounds plausible but as you stated many grains of salt would be needed for this. He probably heard this from middle management that heard based on speculation from a manager above him.

I definitely foresee more push to get people off unlimited data.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
Sounds plausible but as you stated many grains of salt would be needed for this. He probably heard this from middle management that heard based on speculation from a manager above him.

I definitely foresee more push to get people off unlimited data.

Yeah I flip when I heard this but then I thought "oh this is a vzw rep the chances he is right are very slim" but there is still a possibility he was the 1 in 1 million rep that new what they were talking about :-/

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think the plan is to just make unlimited not worth it. Basically they will throttle little by little until basically as a customer you get tired of crappy speed. Plus they know majority of customers will budge before that date. the carrot will be the new phones. We here in america love subsidized phones. We cant see paying 800 for a phone every other year. Especially if it dont drop the cost of my bill.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
pc747 said:
I think the plan is to just make unlimited not worth it. Basically they will throttle little by little until basically as a customer you get tired of crappy speed. Plus they know majority of customers will budge before that date. the carrot will be the new phones. We here in america love subsidized phones. We cant see paying 800 for a phone every other year. Especially if it dont drop the cost of my bill.

He also stated they may be moving away from subsidize phones it won't be soon but he stated carriers are looking into it cuz of the cost alone they sometimes have to bite if the phone fails ect.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
sargentmajord said:
He also stated they may be moving away from subsidize phones it won't be soon but he stated carriers are looking into it cuz of the cost alone they sometimes have to bite if the phone fails ect.

Forgot about that yeah it was about a 45 min discussion on what vzw was doing plus he was a rooting fan to xD

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That would not work. People already going to non contract carrier slowly. The reason people put up with it because of the devices. We want the next big toy and we want to pay 199.99. Vzw might as well offer their company up for sell if they were to cut subsidizing especially right now when their customer base are speaking out about how they are not pleased with the direction vzw is heading.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
pc747 said:
That would not work. People already going to non contract carrier slowly. The reason people put up with it because of the devices. We want the next big toy and we want to pay 199.99. Vzw might as well offer their company up for sell if they were to cut subsidizing especially right now when their customer base are speaking out about how they are not pleased with the direction vzw is heading.

I am right there with u but when it comes to a big company like vzw an they have to decide between sacrificing some customers for profit or losing profit to make customers happy which one do u think will win?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Vzw will not sacrifice customers cuz that will keep them from profitting. They just continue to add all these stupid fees here and there that add up, 30 bucks to upgrade, x bucks to modify plan, etc. Vzw has 2 advantages over non contract carriers; their network and the fact people are not paying full price for a phone. Well non contract carriers are catching up as far a voice and text goes. And with carriers lik cricket and virgin mobile now carrying he iphone people are already considering the move. If vzw was to charge full price for a smart phone I could see people switching to non contract, being they would have to pay retail for the device any way, and save money on their bill and not be stuck on a contract.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
pc747 said:
Vzw will not sacrifice customers cuz that will keep them from profitting. They just continue to add all these stupid fees here and there that add up, 30 bucks to upgrade, x bucks to modify plan, etc. Vzw has 2 advantages over non contract carriers; their network and the fact people are not paying full price for a phone. Well non contract carriers are catching up as far a voice and text goes. And with carriers lik cricket and virgin mobile now carrying he iphone people are already considering the move. If vzw was to charge full price for a smart phone I could see people switching to non contract, being they would have to pay retail for the device any way, and save money on their bill and not be stuck on a contract.

Lol I know I am just quoting the vzw rep xD

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I got done talking to a vzw rep but he pretty much laid out in front of me a 4 yr vzw plan to get rid of unlimited data he stated vzw will eliminate all unlimited data plans within 4 yrs stating that vzw believes tiered data is the new norm an better for the people they are going to try an slowly transition it ie. Share everything plans or forcible removal via new contracts by the end of 2016 we all saw how they tried to be sneaky an trick us into leaving our unlimited data they now have conclude to put away the carrot an bring out the stick who plans to stay with vzw now? He also stated that in 1-2 yrs when all 3g devices have been changed to 4g they are going to implement throttling after 5 gigs of data usage also this was from a vzw rep so take it for a grain of salt this has not been confirmed but sounds just like what vzw would do

My question is simple. How can Verizon justify the comment that tiered data is better for the people? Better in what way? I see no benefits to "the people", just to the carriers.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Share plans are better for people wanting to have multiple devices. Instead of having to pay for multiple contracts you just pay the $10-$30 for the access fee onto your $100 plan. Which does save some people money. I personally do not save money by switching. That's why I'm keeping mine.

goaliemn

Reaction score
My question is simple. How can Verizon justify the comment that tiered data is better for the people? Better in what way? I see no benefits to "the people", just to the carriers.

It's cheaper for me than my existing plan. We're not huge data users so buying 2 data buckets makes no sense for us. If you're a heavy data user or coming from an unlimited plan, it's hard to justify the move.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hiker5208

Reaction score
I looked last night and it would save me about $30-40 over my current plan. I have 3 data plans and totaling the highest usage of the last 6 months we were still under 4GB. I think with 6GB that would give us plenty of room to grow. I am going to have a discussion with the others and see what they think. There are two simple phones on the plan too so we are maxed out and I could add more devices if I want to in the future too.

dlcramer

Reaction score
I looked last night and it would save me about $30-40 over my current plan. I have 3 data plans and totaling the highest usage of the last 6 months we were still under 4GB. I think with 6GB that would give us plenty of room to grow. I am going to have a discussion with the others and see what they think. There are two simple phones on the plan too so we are maxed out and I could add more devices if I want to in the future too.

Im looking at the same thing. We have 4 phones (2 iphones, my bionic, and a basic phone). All 3 smart phones have unlimited but when I added up the usage over the last 6 months never hit 4 gig in any month combined. Thats with me averaging 2-3 gig on my phone alone. Right now I get an 18% discount on the main line for the line itself and internet. If everything goes bundled I am curious how they will handle that going forward. I have a ton of questions but just need to call or visit the local store and start asking. Losing unlimited would suck but with how much we actually use, if I can save money starting now, I can start putting it away for when they stop subsidising phones DOH!