Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Easy: Streaming Media

Listening to a 96kbps stream for 82 hours in a month comes to about 27 gigs.

8kbps = 1KBs so a 96kbps stream will consume 12KB/s and you'll use up 43.2MB per hour of streaming x82 hours = 3.5GB...

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
I pay for unlimited data, not unlimited until Verizion wants to change it.

Unlimited anything is not sustainable in the long run.
While I can't find Verizon legal jargon that defines what their "unlimited data" can be used for (how about running a small data center from your Verizon phone? :) , AT&T's superior attorneys have defined it:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...tended Purposes Of The Wireless Data Service?

I'd say many AT&T customers who currently use more than 2GB/month are in violation of AT&T's terms. Rather than lose customers, they plan to make those who use more pay more.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the strategy; just trying to analyze it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Katnipthief

Reaction score

8kbps = 1KBs so a 96kbps stream will consume 12KB/s and you'll use up 43.2MB per hour of streaming x82 hours = 3.5GB...

Internet is always measured in bits, some programs may break it down for the simple minded folk. So 3.5GB would really be 28 gb/s. His math is correct.

GB is gigabyte
gb is gigabit.

You don't see gigabyte routers do you, no- they are gigabit routers.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
just how do you go about getting to 27 1/2 gigs without tethering?

How do you use that much data. Torrents?
That's just absurd.

I don't believe it. Thats over 1 GB per day. I would like to hear the justification of what the 32 GB consisted of. Not normal use by any means.

Listening to a 96kbps stream for 82 hours in a month comes to about 27 gigs. That's a crappy two hour commute each way to and from work. The company I work for doesn't allow streaming media through the corporate network (for reasons out of the scope of this thread) and an individual may turn to their phone to stream internet radio or even use Subsonic to stream their music library from home. If some of the theories about Google's upcoming music service comes true, that can easily let someone burn through 10s of gigs of data per month as well.

If all one does on their smartphone is check e-mail, check the weather, and play Angry Birds, hitting a gig can be hard. Web content is getting richer everyday and comes out to increasing data usage. Some web pages have content that are easily over a meg in size; we don't notice it since it can be downloaded in a few seconds vs. a few minutes on dial-up.

82 hours @ 92 kbps is 3.xxx GB

92 kbps = 12 Kbps,
X 60 secs, x 60 mins, x 82 hours, divide your kpbs by 8 to get Kbps, divide THAT result by 1024 to get MB, and another 1024 to get GB.

I think you just read your data usage incorrectly.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

kptphalkon

Reaction score

Internet is always measured in bits, some programs may break it down for the simple minded folk. So 3.5GB would really be 28 gb/s. His math is correct.

GB is gigabyte
gb is gigabit.

You don't see gigabyte routers do you, no- they are gigabit routers.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Regardless of this truth, the conversation topic is being measured in the media storage standard of gigabytes :D

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
Android users arguing with eachother...smh..i blame apple for this haha

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
I have comcast internet at home and free public wifi at work so I'm always on wifi and not 3G

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I have wifi at home as well and i try to connect to wifi wherever i go as much as possible, and i still have managed to use 1.8 GB on 3G with a week left in my billing period.

Natey2

Reaction score

I'd just install "3G Watchdog" or "PhoneUsage" to get the exact amount of 3G data I use.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
MyVerizon works for me...the market version displays usage in Kb, Mb and Gb for ya

RockXP

Reaction score
Just curious...If VZW is doing away with unlimited data for 3G, what would be there pricing tier be.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious...If VZW is doing away with unlimited data for 3G, what would be there pricing tier be.
It hasn't happened yet, and anyone who would answer this would only be guessing.

Fuzzball

Reaction score

82 hours @ 92 kbps is 3.xxx GB

92 kbps = 12 Kbps,
X 60 secs, x 60 mins, x 82 hours, divide your kpbs by 8 to get Kbps, divide THAT result by 1024 to get MB, and another 1024 to get GB.

I think you just read your data usage incorrectly.

This is what I get for posting late at night. I should have prefaced it as it would be easy to do if VZW is measuring usage in bits and not Bytes. If the usage measurement is in gigabits (gb), then yes it's easy. If the usage measurement is in Gigabytes (GB), then I agree 27GB of usage would be hard to achieve unless they're streaming high quality/HD videos all the time or doing something that is against the TOS. IIRC, there was someone on this board that used a little over 1GB in a day by streaming videos on his new Droid all day long at work; I can try to find the post if necessary.

When it comes to VZW and math, it has already been established that they [video=youtube;Bt1w4iRNWLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1w4iRNWLA"]can't convert dollars and cents[/video] and I expect they couldn't convert bits and bytes.

So my point is it's pretty easy if they're measuring in bits and it's doable within the TOS (last version I looked at) if they're measuring in bytes, albeit with 8+ hours a day streaming higher quality videos. Last nights post was under the assumption of getting screwed and being measured in bits, which I should have noted in the post. ;)

warren

Reaction score

Good article, but the author makes some specious arguments.

Fact is that the cellular telephone industry is having to deal with an exponentially expanding customer base with limited available bandwidth.

Add in the streaming video crowd and now the "top 5%" start lagging an already taxed network.

Like it or not, the bottom line is that Verizon, AT&T, etc. are in business to make money for their shareholders, not give away potential revenue streams. And by limiting the bandwidth with tiered plans, they take some of the "streamers" out of the equation and the network performance for the rest of us improves. Pretty elegant solution, actually.

JMHO